Why the AP will not capitalize white

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017

AP Why we will lowercase white​

Jul. 20, 2020, by John Daniszewski
AP style will continue to lowercase the term white in racial, ethnic and cultural senses. This decision follows our move last month to capitalize Black in such uses. We consulted with a wide group of people internally and externally around the globe and considered a variety of commentary in making these decisions.
There was clear desire and reason to capitalize Black. Most notably, people who are Black have strong historical and cultural commonalities, even if they are from different parts of the world and even if they now live in different parts of the world. That includes the shared experience of discrimination due solely to the color of one’s skin.
There is, at this time, less support for capitalizing white. White people generally do not share the same history and culture, or the experience of being discriminated against because of skin color. In addition, we are a global news organization and in much of the world there is considerable disagreement, ambiguity and confusion about whom the term includes.

Comment:
The word white can be either used as an adjective or a noun.
When used as a noun it can be capitalized.
It seems to be proper English.
Not capitalizing the word white when used as a noun for political correctness is dumb left-wing hate.

Last edited:

AP Why we will lowercase white​

Jul. 20, 2020, by John Daniszewski
AP style will continue to lowercase the term white in racial, ethnic and cultural senses. This decision follows our move last month to capitalize Black in such uses. We consulted with a wide group of people internally and externally around the globe and considered a variety of commentary in making these decisions.
There was clear desire and reason to capitalize Black. Most notably, people who are Black have strong historical and cultural commonalities, even if they are from different parts of the world and even if they now live in different parts of the world. That includes the shared experience of discrimination due solely to the color of one’s skin.
There is, at this time, less support for capitalizing white. White people generally do not share the same history and culture, or the experience of being discriminated against because of skin color. In addition, we are a global news organization and in much of the world there is considerable disagreement, ambiguity and confusion about whom the term includes.

Comment:
The word white can be either used as an adjective or a noun.
When used as a noun it can be capitalized.
It seems to be proper English.
Not capitalizing the word white when used as a noun for political correctness is dumb left-wing hate.
That diatribe from the AP convinced me to use lower case for black and upper case for White. Before I was often using upper case for both as I don’t base my judgement of a person on the color of their skin.

I think google translator does not capitalise white... When I write Weiß (German for White) i write White with a capitol letter it returns it with a small letter white

Forum List

Back