Why post at all in the political forum?

Vanquish

Vanquisher of shills
Aug 14, 2009
I have a love / hate relationship with the political forums on this (and almost every) forum board. It's people arguing and blathering trying to make cheap attacks instead of discussing the merits of an issue.

I realize if it's uncomfortable I can just not post or move on..

.but I'm wondering why anyone spends the energy to post anything at all in the political forums if no one is ever swayed and its all just "neocons are retards" and "liberals are whackos"?

What say you?

I have a love / hate relationship with the political forums on this (and almost every) forum board. It's people arguing and blathering trying to make cheap attacks instead of discussing the merits of an issue.

.but I'm wondering why anyone spends the energy to post anything at all in the political forums if no one is ever swayed and its all just "neocons are retards" and "liberals are whackos"?

What say you?

Because way way way in the background some good discussions actually happen.

I suppose they do. It just seems like mental masturbation to scream partisan stuff at people expecting to prove them wrong with no sense of rational debate. I realize the internet is whackadoo central...but you'd think that people trying to discuss ideas wouldn't devolve.

Just frustrates me because I'd actually like the conversation to progress.

What say you?

I say that posting in these forums is a good way for you to get your thoughts together and practice "debatingwith the enemy"

other than that

it is truly a waste of time

people aren't here to have their own minds changed

they are here to tell their opposition just how much they hate them and just how WRONG, or EVIL, or STUPID they are

What say you?

What say I?

Depends. You a neocon or a liberal?

:razz:

What say you?

I say that posting in these forums is a good way for you to get your thoughts together and practice "debatingwith the enemy"

other than that

they are here to tell their opposition just how much they hate them and just how WRONG, or EVIL, or STUPID they are

Basically. They come to forums like these to call people names without the fear of getting hit in the mouth for it.

I don't talk politics with the aim of getting someone to agree with me. It rarely happens and would be a waste of time. It's more about exchanging ideas and engaging in argument or debate. Like tennis - a strong opponent makes you play better.

Plus I'm not allowed to talk politics where I work, and no one in my house disagrees with me. So I'm here.

What say you?

other than that

Basically. They come to forums like these to call people names without the fear of getting hit in the mouth for it.

I come here to practice self restraint. ;)

other than that

I come here to practice self restraint. ;)
lmao

I like it.

What say you?

All joking aside, some of the political posts here are awesome.

(And btw, just use the following when addressing people: Contards and Libtards.)

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

What say you?

Mental Masturbation... And Occassionally, you might Learn somethin'...

:)

peace...

I like to keep up with the news and I'm interested in other people's point of view.

:popcorn:

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

What say you?

I agree, it should all go to the flame zone right to start with.

I suppose they do. It just seems like mental masturbation to scream partisan stuff at people expecting to prove them wrong with no sense of rational debate. I realize the internet is whackadoo central...but you'd think that people trying to discuss ideas wouldn't devolve.

Just frustrates me because I'd actually like the conversation to progress.

You're in the wrong place. Anything goes here, insults, name calling, personal threats... it's all good.

A civil debate? Might as well move on.

It amuses me to see how seriously some people take their role in this place, I often wonder what the more erudite posters here do in the real world, the idiots are good sport.

Forum List

Back