Why Our Enemies And Friends Hate Us

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Life's experiences teach us that the ones at the top are always the ones targeted by others to bring down and replace--with no one else but themselves.

Why Our Enemies--And Friends--Hate Us
By Niall Ferguson, Los Angeles Times
February 26, 2007

In the 1990s, Madeleine Albright pompously called the United States "the indispensable nation." Today it seems to have become the indefensible nation, even in the eyes of its supposed friends.

Orwell would have understood. Just as it was the educated beneficiaries of British rule in Asia who were the most strident anti-imperialists in Orwell's day, so the British empire's most natural allies — France and the United States — were anything but Anglophile. For it turns out that power not only corrupts. It also tends to isolate.

There is, after all, a reason why they say it's lonely at the top.

for full article:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-ferguson26feb26,0,5329250.column?coll=la-opinion-rightrail

Just as it was the educated beneficiaries of British rule in Asia who were the most strident anti-imperialists in Orwell's day...

Hmmm... weren't a few members of the indigenous population opposed to British imperialsim? Maybe Ghandi?

And are you equating education with anti-imperialism? If so, I agree.

Hmmm... weren't a few members of the indigenous population opposed to British imperialsim? Maybe Ghandi?

And are you equating education with anti-imperialism? If so, I agree.

Heel fly's, yea they can sting, and be a nusance, but at the end of the day they are just maggots with wings, and so it is with those that constantly circle around the United States, demeaning, and finding fault with our every move.

Its always much easier to stand off to the side, and take pop-shots, than step up, and expose yourself. I have little to no respect for the former.

Heel fly's, yea they can sting, and be a nusance, but at the end of the day they are just maggots with wings, and so it is with those that constantly circle around the United States, demeaning, and finding fault with our every move.

Its always much easier to stand off to the side, and take pop-shots, than step up, and expose yourself. I have little to no respect for the former.

You sound like you are in the middle, not to the side, so tell me: What is there to find fault with?

I'm at a lose Gurdari, for I think we are the best thing to come along since sliced bread.

Wow, a true believer. One thing though, do the same rules apply to America as the rest of the world? Or are things automatically right if done by the US of A?

Forum List

Back