Why Liberals rule academia and media

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bonnie, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    www.townhall.com/columnists/marvinolasky/printmo20040923.shtml

As Smith puts it, "Intellectual are not anymore 'above' the persuit of status, power and wealth than others. "Bribes--often thinly- disguised as university chairs and foundation grants--are as effective among intellectuals as others. a relatively small group of people who control the mechanisms of laud and lucre cna have a tremendous influence on ambitious academics.

"The Secular Revolution" shows how key influencers pushed universities to teach that the perfection of social mechanisms will deliver us from evil, including the evil of that PRIMITIVE HUMAN INVENTION KNOWN AS RELIGION.

the book also includes a fascinating case study of the destruction of moral reform politics in Boston through ridicule and sarcasm. A chapter on those who sold the concept that law is socially constructed (rather than natural) provides good background for understanding how the Supreme Court came to assert it's supremacy to clear Constitutional intent.

Similarly, a chapter on journalism shows how "key persons within journalism (especially publishers and editors, and also journalism professionalizers form the ranks of the unversities and the active press) actively sought to minimize and ultimately to undermine traditional religion."

His bottomline: "The secularization of the institutions of American public life did not happen by accident or happenstance. ..(It was) an acievement of specific groups of people, many of whom intended to marginalize religion. The people at the core of these secularizing movements, at least, knew what they were doing, and they wanted to do it."

2. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    For all their high-toned talk and better-than-you airs, liberals have fallen prey to man's fundamental weakness - his inherent, unceasing arrogance. It is only through belief in an objective morality, existing apart from oneself, that one can find humility, and rise above the baser aspects of his nature. It's just not all that complex.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Bonnie, like me it seems you've spent a bit of time at the university, in the education department. Have you ever noticed that those most strongly defending the poor, beleagured public schools, are themselves the product of a private school? They argue for 'product assessments', 'portfolio assessments', etc. They are all for 'whole language' which has been totally discredited for non-LD kids. When you question though them, they had to memorize large amounts of 'knowledge facts.' They spent a lot of time writing, reading. They were 'forced' to memorize poems, the Declaration, Pre-Amble to the Constitution. Forced to read Shakesphere, Dickens, and some philosophers-and analyze them in traditional ways.

Yet they see no correlation between their academic attainments and standards. :shock:

4. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Excuse me for butting in, Kathianne, but what you're saying rings so true. It goes, once again, to the fundamental arrogance of liberalism:

"Do as I SAY, not as I DO!"

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Kathianne, there is an unbelievable disconnect in my opinion, and more shocking is the level of knowledge these people have in the book sense but not an ounce of common sense. I truly don't know what they think they are preparing students for?

I am going to get this book and read it, unfortunately it will probably confirm some of my worst fears, but I think it's an important read.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    One of the benefits about returning to school as a 'mature' student, I was able to point such things out, the profs knew they couldn't grade me down, that I would challenge them with the chair. You would not believe how many of the 20, 21 year olds would come to me after class and say, "I never thought about that they didn't go to public schools. Why would they be pushing for things they don't KNOW will work, putting down those that have been DEMONSTRATED to work?" Then we would talk about PC and politics. :laugh: I always come back to politics.

Truth to tell, a 20 year old is very idealistic. Theories and all hold great allure to them, as they should. Problem is, there is no *warnings* given about when to cut bait, just 'if not working, YOU are doing it wrong.' I love trying new ideas, many work and add interests for the kids, but at the core, they must know certain things, in order to build the framework to hang theoretical knowledge and learn where and when to apply their knowledge.

7. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    When I hear what comes out of the mouths of 20 year olds Im terrified, and it wasn't too long ago I was 20, but I honestly don't remember being that idealistic, and I have to credit two things for that, religion, and my parents who really taught me about life, politics, etc early on, plus growing up an only child I was lucky enough to be able to travel with them so I saw a good deal of the world at a very young age, and I grew up fast.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Inevitable question: Public or Private? :halo:

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

First 8 years Catholic.........After that public

10. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I think you summed that up nicely.... the operative word being arrogance :cheers2: