Why isn't NATO working in Syria to protect the Kurds? Why is it always the US?

Do you support US troops pulling out of Syria rather than risk a war with NATO partner Turkey?

• Yes, if Turkey would put US lives at risk, I support leaving Syria. ISIS fighters are the EU's prob

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No, keep US troops there alongside the Kurds even if it means US deaths as Turkey invades Syria

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Having NATO & there in Syria to help defeat ISIS and keep Turkey out would have been preferable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
NATO has also outlived it's usefulness.
Who does NATO protect us from?

NATO = North Atlantic Terrorist Organization in the 21st century.

Turkey under Edrogan is proof!

The US asked the Kurds to help them defeat ISIS, which cost the Kurds over 10,000 fighters, The US would probably still fighting ISIS and their causalities would of been more than eight Americans who lost their lives., Isn't that enough of a reason to protect the Kurds?

The Kurds would have been fighting ISIS whether we were involved or not.

The US spends about $24b a year keeping US troops in the EU apparently in case Putin decides to take another country or two. I object to spending borrowed US taxpayer dollars defending the EU when they can pay the cost.

Then after Trump uses the US military to defeat ISIS and keep the Caliphate from spreading thru the EU, there is no NATO in Syria helping to keep a lid on things. Now the US had the choice of risking a war with Turkey, or a war with Russia if we stayed in Syria. Now if Turkey and Russia get into a shooting war because of Turkey's invasion of Syria, will the US be expected to defend Turkey and fight Russia?

I think Trump is right getting our guys out of the way of Turkey's invasion. But, I'm wondering why there aren't other NATO troops there to stop Turkey?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...087baa-edbb-11e9-b2da-606ba1ef30e3_story.html

Lets take a poll on Syria and Turkey. NATO is not worth the $24b if they can't help the US in Syria, so I support Trump's pulling US troops out of harm's way.

NATO is an ALLIANCE based on COLLECTIVE SECURITY. Each NATO member pays for its own military forces regardless of where they are deployed in the world. That is how it has been for decades. U.S. forces in Europe along with other NATO forces contribute to the defense and deterrence of a Russian invasion of Europe. The United States defense of Europe is NOT a matter of charity. That United States does it because it is in the NATIONAL SECURITY INTEREST of the United States to defend Europe, the same as it would be South Korea or the U.S. mainland. Its been that way for over 70 years now.

The United States, Kurdish Allies, and other NATO forces have taken all territory held by ISIS and destroyed the Caliphate. But ISIS is still a force like Al Quada, hiding where it can, and trying to rebuild itself. NATO forces have rotated in and out of Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan. So have Australian forces. It only happens to be in the past year that there have only been U.S. troops on the ground in Syria. NATO and other coalition aircraft have been apart of patrolling the skies over Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. NATO does have ground troops on the ground in Afghanistan at the moment.

There was no risk to war with Turkey or Russia by staying in North Eastern Syria. Neither Russia, Syria, nor Turkey viewed it as worth it to risk war with the United States. Russia even tested the idea in 2018 by sending a large non-official group of Russian mercenary's to try and take over a Kurdish base. The Kurdish base happened to have a few members of the U.S. special forces. Together with the Kurds, they called in airstrikes on the attacking forces and killed over 300 Russian mercenary's in catch in the attack. Only one Kurdish soldier was wounded, non killed.

Its that type of firepower in coordination with Coalition Aircraft flying in the region and Kurdish and U.S. special forces on the ground which have kept Turkey, Syria and Russia from daring to challenge the U.S. position in northeastern Syria.

ISIS had been crushed and its remaining members were being chased down. The United States and the Kurds had a established a relatively stable area in North Eastern Syria, north of the Eurphrates River and south of the Turkey/Syria border. Now Trump has ruined that entirely by pulling U.S. forces from their positions and giving Turkey a green light to enter the area.

The NATO charter only goes into effect if there is an attack on the mainland territories in Europe and North America of the countries that are members. For example, in 1982 when Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands, it did bring about a NATO response because it was British territory in the far southern hemisphere. As long as any fighting between Turkey and Russia is in Syria, it would not legally bring in the NATO response. Russian airstrikes on Turkish land though would bring about a NATO response.

The probability of a Turkish/Russian fighting has increased though with the withdrawal of U.S. forces. Again, there were multiple reasons why keeping U.S. forces where they were was good for the entire region at the given time.

The Turkish invasion happened after the U.S. pullback and Trump giving the green light to Turkey. There would be no Turkish invasion right now if Trump had kept U.S. forces where they were and not given Turkey a green light to enter this party of Syria.

Other NATO forces have played a role in Syria in years past.

U.S. troops in Syria were not in harms way except in their mission to track down ISIS.
Thank you for your usual thoughtful response. I'll address your comments paragraph by paragraph:
p1: Agree that NATO is an alliance, that has successfully defended the EU for 70 years or so. However, NATO does do occasional away games, such as in AFG when needed. My points are, that the US borrows and spends about $24b a year to keep troops in the EU. The US can no longer afford to keep those troops there. The US defeated ISIS in Syria without significant help from NATO. I don't know why NATO wouldn't help in Syria, or why NATO won't help stop Turkey from invading Syria and killing Kurds. NATO members do have financial commitments to NATO, only 7 are meeting them.
NATO report: Only 7 members meeting defense spending targets - CNNPolitics
In the last (70) years Russia's economy has slowed such that it is now the size of Italy's or NY state's economy. It is being helped by gas purchases by Germany. So as Trump notes, we are borrowing money to defend the EU, and the EU is buying gas from Russia to fund their military, how stupid are we?

p2: no comment

p3: agree that the US killed about 300 Russian mercs, but disagree that there was no risk of war. If Erdogan attacked Syria, and the US troops were still there, after Erdogan warned them to get out, that could have risked a shooting war with Turkey. You assume that Turkey would not attack Syria if US troops are present. That is a very bad assumption. Erdogan is unpredictable.

p4: You're suggesting that Trump and Erdogan should have a steely-eyed showdown over Syria and the Kurds, knowing that Trump ran on getting us out of ME "endless wars". Erdogan would have attacked, and Trump would have been forced to respond. Who knows where that would end up? Turkey has a modern military, and has a home field advantage in Syria.

p5: Trump didn't give Turkey a green light. Erdogan said "we are invading Syria, please get out or risk casualties."

p6: use the same NATO Charter that allowed NATO to work collectively in AFG to keep the peace, to also keep the peace in Syria.

p7: Assad and the Kurds have an agreement to fight the Turks. The Russians might get into it as well, who knows? Complicating things is the cozy relationship between Russia and Turkey, such as buying Russian S-400 anti-aircraft missiles to defeat NATO planes.
Turkey bought Russian S-400 missiles designed to down NATO planes. For the US, that's a problem - CNN
Whose side is Turkey on? Are you sure?

p8: Turkey was going to invade Syria with or without the presence of 1,000 US "speed-bump" troops. Erdogan would say, I warned the Americans to leave, they very unwisely chose not to.

Trump saved US lives by leaving. If NATO wanted to get into that Syrian mess they would have, so NATO countries have no right to criticize Trump. He defeated ISIS, mission accomplished. No thanks to NATO.

Last edited:
Fuck NATO. The Kurds are realigning with Assad. They, and the Syrian Defense Force, with their Russian allies, have it handled.

Well, if the Russians end up bombing the Turks the way they bombed ISIS, (even tho' they'll need to hit the Turks even harder!), yes, it will be handled.

The US spends about $24b a year keeping US troops in the EU apparently in case Putin decides to take another country or two. I object to spending borrowed US taxpayer dollars defending the EU when they can pay the cost.

Then after Trump uses the US military to defeat ISIS and keep the Caliphate from spreading thru the EU, there is no NATO in Syria helping to keep a lid on things. Now the US had the choice of risking a war with Turkey, or a war with Russia if we stayed in Syria. Now if Turkey and Russia get into a shooting war because of Turkey's invasion of Syria, will the US be expected to defend Turkey and fight Russia?

I think Trump is right getting our guys out of the way of Turkey's invasion. But, I'm wondering why there aren't other NATO troops there to stop Turkey?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...087baa-edbb-11e9-b2da-606ba1ef30e3_story.html

Lets take a poll on Syria and Turkey. NATO is not worth the $24b if they can't help the US in Syria, so I support Trump's pulling US troops out of harm's way.

good post.

Syria is not a member of NATO and if NATO sent troops, they would side with Turkey who is a NATO member. Who would NATO troops be fighting? Surely not the Kurds as they are US allies as is Turkey. If NATO troops went to Syria they would be bogged down for years. Besides the NATO countries wouldn't be willing to spend lives and treasure in another endless war. It's a complicated situation made by the unwanted presence of Turkey and Russia. This has turned into a matter that the UN was created to handle. Let the UN handle it and bring US troops home.

If NATO sent troops to Syria they would be fighting ISIS and keeping Turkey out of Syria, as well as keeping Assad and Russia out of the Kurdish areas. Isn't preventing a genocide of Kurds a worthy NATO mission?

If NATO won't do "endless wars" why should the US send troops to the ME to do "endless wars"? Trump is right to us pull out of Syria. I hope pulling US troops home from the EU and saving $24b a year is next on the agenda.

The UN can't do anything, never could. Talk is cheap. Turkey would just stonewall like Baghdad Bob in the old days.
Nothing is ever accomplished except by military force. In this case the extermination of Kurds.

NATO has troops on the ground in Afghanistan. They also have some troops in Iraq and are apart of the air component that provides air-support to U.S. ground troops in Syria. The United States has the largest and most capable ground forces and are sometimes the only forces that can reliably respond to various crisis around the world. Crisis that impact U.S. national security interest. The United States has no choice but to be there to defend its interest whether or not other country's choose to participate or not.

We disagree (again). If NATO can send troops to AFG, they can send troops to Syria. The 1,000 US troops in Syria were not fighting, they were coordinating the fighting, air support, and artillery support. If NATO troops were sent in they could have protected secured areas and helped the US keep a lid on things. As it is now Turkey is invading Syria and NATO is allowing the genocide of the Kurds to happen.
We can't keep troops in the EU and borrowing money to do it, while other NATO countries don't properly fund and arm their militaries.

Fuck NATO. The Kurds are realigning with Assad. They, and the Syrian Defense Force, with their Russian allies, have it handled.

Well, if the Russians end up bombing the Turks the way they bombed ISIS, (even tho' they'll need to hit the Turks even harder!), yes, it will be handled.

Russian-Turkish trade is equal to Syria's GDP.

BlueStream - Gazprom
https://www.gazprom.com/projects/turk-stream/
']TurkStream - Gazprom[/URL]

Russia gave Turkey its most advanced anti-missile system.
Turkey bought Russian S-400 missiles designed to down NATO planes. For the US, that's a problem - CNN
And its latest nuclear energy technology
Akkuyu Nuclear Power Plant - Wikipedia

Putin and Erdogan inspecting Su-57
Erdogan looked into the cockpit of the Su-57 on display and asked whether it was available for sale. Putin smiled and said, "Yes, you can buy it," according to the Associated Press.
Putin Shows Off Su-57 Stealth Fighter After Turkey Barred from Buying F-35

_108520303_su_01.jpg

Seems Russia and Turkey get along quite well

Russian-Turkish trade is equal to Syria's GDP.

BlueStream - Gazprom
https://www.gazprom.com/projects/blue-stream/
']https://www.gazprom.com/projects/turk-stream/']TurkStream[/URL] - Gazprom[/URL]

Russia gave Turkey its most advanced anti-missile system.
And its latest nuclear energy technology
Akkuyu Nuclear Power Plant - Wikipedia

Putin and Erdogan inspecting Su-57
Erdogan looked into the cockpit of the Su-57 on display and asked whether it was available for sale. Putin smiled and said, "Yes, you can buy it," according to the Associated Press.
Putin Shows Off Su-57 Stealth Fighter After Turkey Barred from Buying F-35

_108520303_su_01.jpg

Seems Russia and Turkey get along quite well

Turkey paid for it.
Russia doesn't give away anything.

Turkey paid for it.

Off course, Turkey paid for it.
I just wanted to show you that Russia-Turkey relations are, have a big economic dimension and cooperation is increasing.
Syria is just a sub-category of the relation and there won't be war over it :)

Turkey paid for it.

Off course, Turkey paid for it.
I just wanted to show you that Russia-Turkey relations are, have a big economic dimension and cooperation is increasing.
Syria is just a sub-category of the relation and there won't be war over it :)

Looks like Pootie eventually has a decision to make. As he has one foot on the dock, and the other in a canoe.
Thank God Trump is taking us out of this equation!

There is a legal incident: Turkey is a member of NATO. According to the Charter, an attack on one NATO country means an attack on ALL NATO. In addition, the White Milking obviously does not want to bring the matter to Turkey’s withdrawal from NATO (and there are all signs of France’s behavior in the past)

02chappatte-articleLarge.jpg

The US asked the Kurds to help them defeat ISIS, which cost the Kurds over 10,000 fighters, The US would probably still fighting ISIS and their causalities would of been more than eight Americans who lost their lives., Isn't that enough of a reason to protect the Kurds?

The short answer is, NO. I'm not going to risk US lives to protect Kurds.
My OP is about, why isn't NATO involved in "peace-keeping" in Syria and preventing genocide?
Trump stepped up and defeated ISIS, w/o NATO. Its a matter of "hold my coat", or thanks for the help keeping the peace.
NATO should at least condemn Turkey for invading Syria and the genocide of the Kurds.

Obviously, with a casualty ratio of 10,000 (plus) to 8, the Kurds frontline approach saved many, many lives of American fighters.
But of course as a Little Trumpster, you will never appreciate what the Kurds for their our troops. However, the troops who were there have great appreciation for the Kurds and disgust for your hero, Donald “the traitors” Trump.
I’ll take the US fighters who were there over a pathetically easily manipulated goose-stepper any day.

Last edited:
I have no idea. I dont care really for the Kurds vs Turks thing or such. But I never liked Turkey, because of Ottoman history and their neo-ottoman policies etc. I dont really like the Turks. The USA and Britain also support Turkeys entry into European Union etc. I dont think that is good for Europe.

The United States, Kurdish Allies, and other NATO forces have taken all territory held by ISIS and destroyed the Caliphate. But ISIS is still a force like Al Quada, hiding where it can, and trying to rebuild itself. NATO forces have rotated in and out of Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan. So have Australian forces. It only happens to be in the past year that there have only been U.S. troops on the ground in Syria. NATO and other coalition aircraft have been apart of patrolling the skies over Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. NATO does have ground troops on the ground in Afghanistan at the moment.

Yep. But the OP doesn't know that. Moreover, the information inconveniences him, spoils his whining about poor, widdle, much-exploited U.S. of A., and, rather than doing some research and correcting himself, he comments:

Goes without saying, after the loose cannon in the Oval Office announced to withdraw troops from Syria - Mattis resigning over it - about a year ago, thus destroying the defense network established in the Syrian north, the French and Britons scrambled to get their troops out. For with that network destroyed, they'd be left holding the bag, and possibly be overrun at a moment's notice. That's how erratic, unpredictable behavior on the world stage comes with a cost - because no one wants to risk their troops' lives with a twittering goof, like Trump, at their side.

Last edited:

Yep. But the OP doesn't know that. Moreover, the information inconveniences him, spoils his whining about poor, widdle, much-exploited U.S. of A., and, rather than doing some research and correcting himself, he comments:

Goes without saying, after the loose cannon in the Oval Office announced to withdraw troops from Syria - Mattis resigning over it - about a year ago, thus destroying the defense network established in the Syrian north, the French and Britons scrambled to get their troops out. For with that network destroyed, they'd be left holding the bag, and possibly be overrun at a moment's notice. That's how erratic, unpredictable behavior on the world stage comes with a cost - because no one wants to risk their troops' lives with a twittering goof, like Trump, at their side.

Not sure what point you're trying to make?! NATO may have been involved in Syria, but as you say, NATO had no involvement for "the past year". I'm not sure why that is?? Was Turkey making noise about invading Syria back then? The EU has more skin in the game than the US when it comes to killing ISIS and ME terrorists, so why did NATO leave Syria?
I agree that Mattis resigned over Trump's proposed withdrawals from AFG and Syria. So what? He's not the president, he's a great general, and should know that US voters are opposed to always being the world's cop.

Mattis, Blindsided by Trump’s Syria Decision, Resigned Days Later

Trump ran on ending the "endless wars". He understands that the US can't keep borrowing money to be the world's cop.
The Joint Chiefs even said that the National Debt is the largest threat facing the US:
National debt is our biggest security threat: Column

So my points still stand. The EU and NATO need to step up more for their own defense, in Europe and the ME. The US can't keep spending borrowed money at the same rate as today, the US needs to cut military spending to an affordable amount. Trump is correct as per the voters, just look at the poll results above. A very accurate poll just said that Trump has a very high probability of winning again in 2020, so buckle up buttercup.

Not sure what point you're trying to make?! NATO may have been involved in Syria, but as you say, NATO had no involvement for "the past year". I'm not sure why that is?? Was Turkey making noise about invading Syria back then? The EU has more skin in the game than the US when it comes to killing ISIS and ME terrorists, so why did NATO leave Syria?

Funny how that goes, and the reason is also fairly clear - you plainly don't understand anything that runs counter to your whiny, mendacious narrative.

In that infamous prison camp in Iraq, Camp Bucca, after Bush's criminal war of aggression, that brought together the remnants of Saddam's military and Islamists, combining military expertise and religious fanaticism, AQI emerged and infested Iraq, then moved to Syria while it morphed into Da'esh. That monster is the creation of the U.S., and what's needed now is the U.S. cleaning up the mess it created, like grown-ups do. President Obama did a reasonably good job, using minimal means, joining up with the Kurds who took the bulk of the casualties and did all of the on-the-ground fighting. Whereas the Trumpy cuts and runs, with your support, leaving the Kurds exposed to the Turkish army but also to al-Nusra-style monsters Turkey cultivated, while Trump is in effect indignant others aren't changing his diapers fast enough.

All you have is your whining about why, oh why, others aren't cleaning up the mess the U.S. created. And why, oh why, poor, widdle U.S. is being taken advantage of, and exploited. Now, whine along.

Funny how that goes, and the reason is also fairly clear - you plainly don't understand anything that runs counter to your whiny, mendacious narrative.

In that infamous prison camp in Iraq, Camp Bucca, after Bush's criminal war of aggression, that brought together the remnants of Saddam's military and Islamists, combining military expertise and religious fanaticism, AQI emerged and infested Iraq, then moved to Syria while it morphed into Da'esh. That monster is the creation of the U.S., and what's needed now is the U.S. cleaning up the mess it created, like grown-ups do. President Obama did a reasonably good job, using minimal means, joining up with the Kurds who took the bulk of the casualties and did all of the on-the-ground fighting. Whereas the Trumpy cuts and runs, with your support, leaving the Kurds exposed to the Turkish army but also to al-Nusra-style monsters Turkey cultivated, while Trump is in effect indignant others aren't changing his diapers fast enough.

All you have is your whining about why, oh why, others aren't cleaning up the mess the U.S. created. And why, oh why, poor, widdle U.S. is being taken advantage of, and exploited. Now, whine along.

Your narrative is a fantasy. I like the way you narrate without any proof of the story being told. Let me set the record straight:
1. ISIS did nothing but grow under Obama.
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant - Wikipedia

2. ISIS was at the height of its territory in late 2015, it grew during Obama's admin
ISIL territorial claims - Wikipedia
230px-Near_East_ISIS_controlled_areas-fr.svg.png

Maximum extent of ISIL's territorial control in Syria and Iraq in late 2015.
• Established under the name of Jama'at al-Tawhid wal-Jihad
• Joined al-Qaeda
October 2004
• Declaration of an Islamic State in Iraq
13 October 2006
• Claim of territory in the Levant
8 April 2013
• Separated from al-Qaeda
3 February 2014
• Declaration of "caliphate"
29 June 2014
Recapture of Mosul by Iraqi forces
10 July 2017
Capture of Baghuz Fawqani 19 March 2019

3. Trump crushed ISIS
Did Trump Really Beat ISIS?

4. Turkey and the Kurds have been fighting for centuries. Erdogan wants a 35km buffer zone from the border
If NATO wanted to stop Erdogan from killing Kurds, they should have done something to stop him. They didn't.

I love the way deplorables dis any collective agreement to which the US is signatory and recommend unilateral action then moan when it blows up in their face, whining for allies.
so far this has been a great discussion with information being offered on the why's and how's. then you come along and just bash.

other that that, i've appreciated the convo. helps put things in perspective on common questions around what we do or don't do at times.

Erdogan made sure "our guys" were out of the way BEFORE the invasion, so just end that lie right there.

But more to the point, Syria was not of Natos making. It was ours. We destabilized Iraq under W, and left the morass under Obama, who stood mutely by while the neocons urged the Syrians to revolt, only to belatedly return to Syria for Isis, whom the Syrian Kurds killed for us. And Trump loudly procrailmed HE would win the war, which neither he personally or many US troops took part in, letting the Kurds win his magnificent military victory. All Hail the Warrior Trump.

But the question remained what to do next? Tens of thousands of Syrian Arabs were in Turkey. Kurds were raiding into Turkey and causing unrest. Trump's solution was … not my job. yet the US created the morass.

Forum List

Back