Why is the News Media BIASED?

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
Here's a hint:
Media%20Bias.png

IF YOU HAD A HUNCH THE NEWS SYSTEM WAS SOMEWHAT RIGGED AND YOU COULDN'T PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT, THIS MIGHT HELP YOU SOLVE THE PUZZLE.

ABC News executive producer Ian Cameron is married to Susan Rice, National Security Adviser.

CBS President David Rhodes is the brother of Ben Rhodes, Obama's Deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications.

ABC News correspondent Claire Shipman is married to former Whitehouse Press Secretary Jay Carney

ABC News and Univision reporter Matthew Jaffe is married to Katie Hogan, Obama's Deputy Press Secretary

ABC President Ben Sherwood is the brother of Obama's Special Adviser Elizabeth Sherwood

CNN President Virginia Moseley is married to former Hillary Clinton's Deputy Secretary Tom Nides.

And now you know why it is no surprise the media usually goes very easy on Obama's many errors.

Ya think there might be a little bias in the news?
542d9fd9-17bd-47bc-a9e8-0d6bb64d65fa

Last edited:
"Why is the News Media BIASED?"

It isn’t.

Just because you and other conservatives don’t like the facts being reported which conflict with errant, subjective, wrongheaded conservative dogma doesn’t mean ‘the media’ are ‘biased.’

I was in it for nearly 20 years, and I don't think the reason is quite as sinister as this. To boil it down to the tiniest nutshell possible, I think it's because of the type of person that journalism attracts. Journalists tend to look at their craft as an art, and artistic people tend to be more idealistic and liberal. That's why those polls showed that 85% of the people in the industry are liberal. That sounds about right to me.

The problem to me is that, at some point (maybe 20-30 years ago), the goal of journalism changed from reporting the facts to reporting "the truth". Well, since "truth" can often be subjective, it's far more likely that opinion and even advocacy can invade a story. There are MANY ways to do that, and that is what we have seen.

My personal opinion is that there was a relatively specific turning point. Our first assignment on my first day in my first class at college (Journalism 101, seriously!) was to read "All The President's Men". That book and movie changed the industry (along with hyper-competition) - reporter as star, reporter as politics, reporter as influence within a story. Woodward & Bernstein made Edward R Murrow look like an amateur.

I was in it for nearly 20 years, and I don't think the reason is quite as sinister as this. To boil it down to the tiniest nutshell possible, I think it's because of the type of person that journalism attracts. Journalists tend to look at their craft as an art, and artistic people tend to be more idealistic and liberal. That's why those polls showed that 85% of the people in the industry are liberal. That sounds about right to me.

The problem to me is that, at some point (maybe 20-30 years ago), the goal of journalism changed from reporting the facts to reporting "the truth". Well, since "truth" can often be subjective, it's far more likely that opinion and even advocacy can invade a story. There are MANY ways to do that, and that is what we have seen.

My personal opinion is that there was a relatively specific turning point. Our first assignment on my first day in my first class at college (Journalism 101, seriously!) was to read "All The President's Men". That book and movie changed the industry (along with hyper-competition) - reporter as star, reporter as politics, reporter as influence within a story. Woodward & Bernstein made Edward R Murrow look like an amateur.
no. You just can't get through a journalism degree if you don't make the right noises.

They are destructive personalities.

no. You just can't get through a journalism degree if you don't make the right noises.

I'm not sure what this means.

The take over of academia might not have been so complete in your day. Trust me, it's impossible to finish a degree now in certain industries if you make any false moves.

Cultural marxists have taken over entire industries by taking over entire departments in universities.

You cannot get through, unless you are completely whoring yourself to the agenda, right from the start.

The take over of academia might not have been so complete in your day. Trust me, it's impossible to finish a degree now in certain industries if you make any false moves.

Cultural marxists have taken over entire industries by taking over entire departments in universities.

You cannot get through, unless you are completely whoring yourself to the agenda, right from the start.
Oh -- well, no doubt things have gotten much worse, yeah.

I'd think that's much of what's driving this "truth" thing that I mentioned. When you're convinced that it is your solemn responsibility to report "The Truth", and you have a severe bias in one direction, the results are predictable.

We were trained to gather as much data/information as possible without ego or prejudice, determine what actually happened, and report it. Today, they have significantly added commentary on the event's ramifications, assumptions on motivations, on and on. It's much easier to add bias in that format.

It isn’t.

Just because you and other conservatives don’t like the facts being reported which conflict with errant, subjective, wrongheaded conservative dogma doesn’t mean ‘the media’ are ‘biased.’

Snark troll smoke blow suck choke gag smoke spin lie...rinse...reword...repeat...

It isn’t.

What is the breakdown of Democrats vs. Republicans among Journalists?

I dunno, but I'd have to say based on what I have seen it's 95 to 1.

Two students walk into Journalism 101 on the first day of class.
One is wearing a cute little Chairman Mao hat with the red star on it and a Che guevera T-shirt.
The other student is wearing a ball cap with a Confederate flag on it and a NRA T-shirt.
Which student has a better chance of passing the course?
Everyone with a functioning brain knows virtually every Liberal Arts college is infested with radical LIB teachers.
Want to get a job in any area of print news, cable news? You better not show up for the job interview wearing a button that supports any REP politician.

If the media has a bias, it's not the bias you think it is. It's corporate bias and their only interest is in their bottom line. Why did Donald Trump get over a billion dollars in free advertising? Because we turned on their stupid channels when he was on and we bought all the products they hawked during the commercials.

Here's a hint:
Media%20Bias.png

IF YOU HAD A HUNCH THE NEWS SYSTEM WAS SOMEWHAT RIGGED AND YOU COULDN'T PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT, THIS MIGHT HELP YOU SOLVE THE PUZZLE.

ABC News executive producer Ian Cameron is married to Susan Rice, National Security Adviser.

CBS President David Rhodes is the brother of Ben Rhodes, Obama's Deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications.

ABC News correspondent Claire Shipman is married to former Whitehouse Press Secretary Jay Carney

ABC News and Univision reporter Matthew Jaffe is married to Katie Hogan, Obama's Deputy Press Secretary

ABC President Ben Sherwood is the brother of Obama's Special Adviser Elizabeth Sherwood

CNN President Virginia Moseley is married to former Hillary Clinton's Deputy Secretary Tom Nides.

And now you know why it is no surprise the media usually goes very easy on Obama's many errors.

Sure is. They gave Drumpf about a billion dollars of free media during the primaries. Never saw such fawning…

It isn’t.

Dan Rather and Brisn Williams disagree with you. The media is so biased that it created the market for Fox News and AM Talk radio,

Liberals are attracted to journalism because they are much more motivated in changing the world. Reporters report the news, journalists make the news. And being liberal everything is viewed through emotional filters and moral relativism.

Here's a hint:
Media%20Bias.png

Sure is. They gave Drumpf about a billion dollars of free media during the primaries. Never saw such fawning…
You saw fawning?

Case closed.

Forum List

Back