Why is Romney getting all these GOP endorsements--Haley from S. Carolina?

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
The GOP establishment is out in force now--endorsing Mitt Romney from every direction--while blasting all other GOP candidates. So I had to wonder when Nikki Haley governor of South Carolina--who is considered a Tea Party conservative was thinking--when she came out for Mitt Romney--considered a more moderate candidate--over the other conservatives that are running for the GOP nomination.

So I looked up the article--a nice glowing statement about Mitt Romney's accomplishments--then you turn to the 2nd page of the article and get this.

Haley's ties with Romney run deep. She endorsed him in 2008 when she was in the Legislature. Romney returned the favor when she ran for governor in 2010.

Big endorsement: Romney picks up SC governor's aid - Houston Chronicle

And then this article:

Mitt Romney hasn’t bought himself much Tennessee love. Yet.

Since 2008, Romney’s political action committees have given a combined $42,300 to the Volunteer State’s top GOP players, including both U.S. senators, Gov. Bill Haslam and six of Tennessee’s seven Republican U.S. representatives.

But only one — U.S. Rep. Jimmy Duncan, a Republican from Knoxville and the dean of Tennessee’s congressional delegation — has endorsed the former governor of Massachusetts and two-time candidate for president this time around.

Otherwise, uncertainty reigns. U.S. Rep. Chuck Fleischmann, R-Chattanooga, said he “appreciates Governor Romney’s help” — $4,500 since 2010 — but isn’t sure if he’ll return the support.

Mitt Romney short on Tennessee endorsements | timesfreepress.com

It's clear that the GOP establishment has circled the wagons around Mitt Romney. It's the politics of you endorse me--I'll endorse you--or if I donate to your campaign--I expect an endorsement from you in the future. It looks like we're going to get him shoved down our throats whether we like it or not.

Politics as usual.

Last edited:
It's clear that the GOP establishment has circled the wagons around Mitt Romney. It's the politics of you endorse me--I'll endorse you--or if I donate to your campaign--I expect an endorsement from you in the future. It looks like we're going to get him shoved down our throats whether we like it or not.

Politics as usual.

Yep, the GOP establishment hates Gingrich.

Politics as usual.

Yep, the GOP establishment hates Gingrich.

It looks like Romney was also a big contributor to Governor Haley's campaign also.

In a way, Haley is returning a favor. Romney backed her during her 2010 gubernatorial run and contributed thousands to her campaign.

Haley chooses to back Romney | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

It never stops--does it---:cuckoo:

Is there any "honest" broker in politics anymore? I don't think so.

Is there any "honest" broker in politics anymore? I don't think so.

No, not in my opinion. They have all learned how to game the system. They only allow us peasants the illusion of democracy by allowing us to submit token votes.

The GOP knows that Romney is the only one who can beat Obama. Some people think beating Obama will be easy. It won't! A BILLION dollars can buy a lot of votes.

The November polls showed that "one-on-one" Romney is the one and only GOP candidate with any chance of defeating Obama, and the Republican "establishment" knows it.

The problem is that Romney's support has peaked then stalled, showing that approximately 75% of Republican/Tea Party supporters consider him too liberal for their liking.

Above all else, the GOP "establishment" wants a "winner," and the Karl Rove "types" in the Party are willing to do whatever it takes to derail the campaign support of any potential threats to Romney - like Cain and Gingrich.

Romney is expected to win in New Hampshire, so an endorsement by Haley might be enough to win South Carolina and create the momentum for him to dominate the rest of the primaries.

Last edited:
The GOP knows that Romney is the only one who can beat Obama. Some people think beating Obama will be easy. It won't! A BILLION dollars can buy a lot of votes.

If Republicans really think that, then they are slightly retarded.:cuckoo: Romney is the worst possible candidate the GOP could possibly run.

The problem is, they think Romney is the only guy who can go toe to toe with Obama in fundraising. But all the money in the world won't overcome the fact that conservatives don't like him because he's a flip-flopper, Evangelicals don't like him because he's (gasp) a Mormon, Hispanics won't vote for him because he demagogued the illegal alien issue.

I also think the economy will recover just enough to give Obama a little cover.

Wow...you mean politics involves deal making and lots of money changing hands? I'm so shocked...

I wonder why nobody ever does anything about it? Oh look, there is a celebrity on TV eating a bug.

It is Republicans abandoning their principles to vote for the guy that they are told is the only one who can beat Obama.

Republicans have principles? :eek:

If that was true then how could Newt be considered a serious candidate?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back