Why is Romney getting all these GOP endorsements--Haley from S. Carolina?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oreo, Dec 17, 2011.

1. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    The GOP establishment is out in force now--endorsing Mitt Romney from every direction--while blasting all other GOP candidates. So I had to wonder when Nikki Haley governor of South Carolina--who is considered a Tea Party conservative was thinking--when she came out for Mitt Romney--considered a more moderate candidate--over the other conservatives that are running for the GOP nomination.

So I looked up the article--a nice glowing statement about Mitt Romney's accomplishments--then you turn to the 2nd page of the article and get this.

Big endorsement: Romney picks up SC governor's aid - Houston Chronicle

And then this article:

Mitt Romney short on Tennessee endorsements | timesfreepress.com

It's clear that the GOP establishment has circled the wagons around Mitt Romney. It's the politics of you endorse me--I'll endorse you--or if I donate to your campaign--I expect an endorsement from you in the future. It looks like we're going to get him shoved down our throats whether we like it or not.

Politics as usual.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,978
    Yep, the GOP establishment hates Gingrich.

3. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150

It looks like Romney was also a big contributor to Governor Haley's campaign also.

Haley chooses to back Romney | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

It never stops--does it---:cuckoo:

Is there any "honest" broker in politics anymore? I don't think so.

4. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,978
    No, not in my opinion. They have all learned how to game the system. They only allow us peasants the illusion of democracy by allowing us to submit token votes.

5. get_involved

get_involved Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +565
    The GOP knows that Romney is the only one who can beat Obama. Some people think beating Obama will be easy. It won't! A BILLION dollars can buy a lot of votes.

6. jgarden

jgarden Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +201
    The November polls showed that "one-on-one" Romney is the one and only GOP candidate with any chance of defeating Obama, and the Republican "establishment" knows it.

The problem is that Romney's support has peaked then stalled, showing that approximately 75% of Republican/Tea Party supporters consider him too liberal for their liking.

Above all else, the GOP "establishment" wants a "winner," and the Karl Rove "types" in the Party are willing to do whatever it takes to derail the campaign support of any potential threats to Romney - like Cain and Gingrich.

Romney is expected to win in New Hampshire, so an endorsement by Haley might be enough to win South Carolina and create the momentum for him to dominate the rest of the primaries.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  7. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,162
    S.Carolina is a very important state and the first state with a real number of delegates that could start the forward motion of a canidate. This will help mitt greatly.

8. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,006
    If Republicans really think that, then they are slightly retarded.:cuckoo: Romney is the worst possible candidate the GOP could possibly run.

The problem is, they think Romney is the only guy who can go toe to toe with Obama in fundraising. But all the money in the world won't overcome the fact that conservatives don't like him because he's a flip-flopper, Evangelicals don't like him because he's (gasp) a Mormon, Hispanics won't vote for him because he demagogued the illegal alien issue.

I also think the economy will recover just enough to give Obama a little cover.

9. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Wow...you mean politics involves deal making and lots of money changing hands? I'm so shocked...

I wonder why nobody ever does anything about it? Oh look, there is a celebrity on TV eating a bug.

10. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,627
    It is Republicans abandoning their principles to vote for the guy that they are told is the only one who can beat Obama.