Why is religion introduced at such a young age?

If people weren't taught about God, they would end up finding Him or some spiritual substitute to worship eventually. The desire to worship a higher being is hard-wired into us. Some fight it for a time, but the need is there nonetheless.

Abbey Normal said:
If people weren't taught about God, they would end up finding Him or some spiritual substitute to worship eventually. The desire to worship a higher being is hard-wired into us. Some fight it for a time, but the need is there nonetheless.

It's because some people are too afraid to face the unkown by themselves and assume that there is some supreme being.

Powerman said:
It's because some people are too afraid to face the unkown by themselves and assume that there is some supreme being.

Maybe some folks just think religion makes thier mortal life more fulfilling. I don't think you can assume that fear is the only thing that motivates people to pursue religion or philosophy. Couldn't it be just plain curiosity or boredom with the mundane?

dilloduck said:
Maybe some folks just think religion makes thier mortal life more fulfilling. I don't think you can assume that fear is the only thing that motivates people to pursue religion or philosophy. Couldn't it be just plain curiosity or boredom with the mundane?

Certainly it could be. I think it gives some people purpose to life. That's fine with me. I just fail to see how any of this validates any religion as offerring any truth. I know that's not what you are trying to say. Just seems very unlikely to me that any religion has much spiritual truth to it.

P-man, I have by now seen several posts like the one directly above this one where you state that this or that about religion is "fine with you", while it is blatantly obvious that nothing about religion (or at least, Christianity) is even close to being fine with you. One merely needs to read how you call both God and the people on here who believe in Him f****'n lunatics and f****'n idiots (to recount but a few of your more virulent comments), to see that. Never mind the fact that you are playing one basic anti-God note over and over from slightly different angles.

Why not at least be honest and consistent, and admit that you have a raging hatred for all things Christian, and be done with it? Several people have pointed out that we see your bitterness and hatred by now. You've made your point, ad nauseum. We get it. We're not going to denounce God. Time to move on to other topics. Or doesn't anything else but expressing hatred of Christianity interest you?

Powerman said:
Certainly it could be. I think it gives some people purpose to life. That's fine with me. I just fail to see how any of this validates any religion as offerring any truth. I know that's not what you are trying to say. Just seems very unlikely to me that any religion has much spiritual truth to it.

Religion is unlikely to have any spiritual truth?? Where do you suppose one might find this "truth" because I'm fascinated by it and would love to hear you point me in the right direction.

Abbey Normal said:
P-man, I have by now seen several posts like the one directly above this one where you state that this or that about religion is "fine with you", while it is blatantly obvious that nothing about religion (or at least, Christianity) is even close to being fine with you. One merely needs to read how you call both God and the people on here who believe in Him f****'n lunatics and f****'n idiots (to recount but a few of your more virulent comments), to see that. Never mind the fact that you are playing one basic anti-God note over and over from slightly different angles.

Why not at least be honest and consistent, and admit that you have a raging hatred for all things Christian, and be done with it? Several people have pointed out that we see your bitterness and hatred by now. You've made your point, ad nauseum. We get it. We're not going to denounce God. Time to move on to other topics. Or doesn't anything else but expressing hatred of Christianity interest you?

Honestly I don't have a problem with Christianity. I think that it has a net positive on society. I just disagree with fundamentalists that try to hold back science because it violates dogma. Those people are lunatics. I also have a problem with people who hate gays.

Powerman said:
Honestly I don't have a problem with Christianity. I think that it has a net positive on society. I just disagree with fundamentalists that try to hold back science because it violates dogma. Those people are lunatics. I also have a problem with people who hate gays.

Cool--you're narrowing it down a bit finally. Maybe discussing THOSE issues may bear more fruit!

Abbey Normal said:

Do you have any evidence to support that assertion?

Abbey Normal said:

I agree with this statement but think "worship" may not be the best word for what you are describing. Searching for meaning in life need not lead to worship of God or gods. "Some spiritual substitute" can be a philosophy or lifestyle that does not involve worship.

dilloduck said:
Cool--you're narrowing it down a bit finally. Maybe discussing THOSE issues may bear more fruit!

Well I originally engaged in discussion in a thread about evolution and I wasn't getting anywhere. Hobbit and his posse don't understand much of science so it's tough to have a debate about it.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
MissileMan said:
Do you have any evidence to support that assertion?

Research almost any culture, as far back as you would like, and most will have worshipped something which they consider a higher power. The sun, wooden idols, statues, planets, you name it. The urge is always there. I am sure that you can obscure the need temporarily if you try hard enough.

Btw, if you have an interest in the subject of man's need to worship, I have heard that Blaise Pascal's collection of spiritual essays, Les Pensées is a good treatment of the subject. Dr. Ravi Zacharias writes contemorary books on the subject as well.

Abbey Normal said:
Research almost any culture, as far back as you would like, and most will have worshipped something which they consider a higher power. The sun, wooden idols, statues, planets, you name it. The urge is always there. I am sure that you can obscure the need temporarily if you try hard enough.

Btw, if you have an interest in the subject of man's need to worship, I have heard that Blaise Pascal's collection of spiritual essays, Les Pensées is a good treatment of the subject. Dr. Ravi Zacharias writes contemorary books on the subject as well.

I think what's truly hard-wired into humans is the question, "Why?". We are driven to have the answers to all of the questions. Ancient man could not answer questions like "where did I come from?", "what happens when I die?", etc. and invented Gods as answers rather than leave the questions unanswered. The passing of these religions from generation to generation isn't evidence that man is genetically disposed to worship.

Abbey Normal said:

So in other words your assertion can only definitely applied to ancient primitive people. And I suppose if you were to worship any object the sun would be a good choice seeing as no life would exist without it.

manu1959 said:
do you have evidence to refute it?

Aww c'mon...you don't think one of the creationists would have identified the God gene by now? :rolleyes:
Besides, you don't prove a negative, you prove a positive...the balls obviously in your court.

MissileMan said:
Aww c'mon...you don't think one of the creationists would have identified the God gene by now? :rolleyes:
Besides, you don't prove a negative, you prove a positive...the balls obviously in your court.

Science proves nothing at all by its very definition the scientific process does not prove anything at all.

However I always see science as answering the question, "How did God do this?" When asking it that way, you get the same science, the same answers, but it strengthens your faith rather than assuming it "proves" any negative at all.

I always see evolution as the tool that was used by the Grand Architect rather than evidence that creationism isn't true it just shows a tool that was used to get it done.

Powerman said:
So in other words your assertion can only definitely applied to ancient primitive people. And I suppose if you were to worship any object the sun would be a good choice seeing as no life would exist without it.

Twisting my words doesn't cut it around here; or haven't you noticed? I never said it only applied to primitive people. I used them as an example of how throughout time people feel the need to worship something higher than themselves. I would have thought that you realized that millions upon millions of people around the world today worship God and Allah. If you did not even realize that, then you need to go read up before coming here to debate religion.

I can and will debate anyone, anytime, but I refuse to entertain debate with a person who take words selectively and misleadingly out of a post to bolster their (weak) argument. I have seen that too much to waste my time with it. If you ever decide to debate fully and fairly, let me know. In the meantime, as I said in another post to you, your hatred of all things Christian is as clear as could be. Perhaps someday you may fight your way out of ignorance and hatred and see the truth. Or not. Whatever.

Abbey Normal said:
Twisting my words doesn't cut it around here; or haven't you noticed? I never said it only applied to primitive people. I used them as an example of how throughout time people feel the need to worship something higher than themselves. I would have thought that you realized that millions upon millions of people around the world today worship God and Allah. If you did not even realize that, then you need to go read up before coming here to debate religion.

I can and will debate anyone, anytime, but I refuse to entertain debate with a person who take words selectively and misleadingly out of a post to bolster their (weak) argument. I have seen that too much to waste my time with it. If you ever decide to debate fully and fairly, let me know. In the meantime, as I said in another post to you, your hatred of all things Christian is as clear as could be. Perhaps someday you may fight your way out of ignorance and hatred and see the truth. Or not. Whatever.

Agreed Abbey, just about where I was going to go-on this and another thread. He blames his POV on religion for his neg rep., yet I have differed with a vocal religious portion of the board and have maintained reasonable rep. :)

Kathianne said:
Agreed Abbey, just about where I was going to go-on this and another thread. He blames his POV on religion for his neg rep., yet I have differed with a vocal religious portion of the board and have maintained reasonable rep. :)

he is intollerant and says stupid shit....that will get you dinged

Forum List

Back