Why is Muslim call to prayer allowed?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Wolfe, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does anyone else find it disgusting that the city council of Hammtramck allowed these Muslims to broadcast the call to prayer? What is happening to the United States?

2. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've never heard of that city and I've never heard of this incident. What, pray tell, is a call to prayer and how was it broadcast? By whom?

3. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its a city in Michigan and a call to prayer is broadcast by loudpseaker from the Mosque 5-6 times a day starting at daybreak.

4. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Hello, Wolfe, and welcome to the board!

Although I'm not familiar with the specifics of your story, it raises an interesting point. We have absolute freedom of religion in this country - provided it's the RIGHT religion. That religion is known as NC.

NC has carte blanche in this country. You can practice it out in the open, at the top of your lungs, in any situation that pleases you. You can force it into the curriculum of any school you wish, and, and, if the parents don't like it, you can tell them to kiss your ass. And, if anybody cries "foul", you can denounce them as a freedom-hating zealot, and they are powerless to argue.

NC, of course, means, "Not Christian".

5. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Tearing down the 10 Commandments is okay, but not allowing this would is not. Hmmmmmmmm.

6. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would imagine this is allowed just as catholic churches are allowed to ring their bells before, during and after services and other times.

What's the difference?

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The ACLU doesn't care about mulims any more than the rest of the people they "defend". They merely want to drown out the conservative cause any way they can.

8. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That's what I was thinking.

9. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    This was mentioned before but i believe it was washington that was debating whether to allow it. You say, wolfe, that this town in michigan has already allowed it?

That is horrible. This is why. their debate was that church bells signify catholicisim. They don't they signify bells. They only have meaning if you are a catholic. It doesn infringe on anyone's Freedom of religion. A call to prayer is identifiable as a muslim call to prayer. Even if you are not a muslim, you know that it isnt some random sound.

Freedom of Religion means that no religions shall be given greater precedence over another. Therefore to be equal, Catholics would be allowed to blast the Nicene Creed 5 times a day over a loud speaker. I don't want to hear either. Its an infringement on a person's individual beliefs. Not everyone is muslim. Not everyone is catholic. No one should be subjected to anothers beliefs. That is freedom of religion.

10. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think before we consider banning church bells or a Muslim call to prayer, we need to tackle more important issues such as banning Anna Nicole Smith's voice and the singing of Ashley Simpson(if you don't know who she is, consider yourself blessed.)