Why is it okay to discriminate against women for religious reasons?

Brian_1349

Mar 22, 2015
Not very long ago I met a young man at a business function. “Hello, I’m Amanda,” I said, sticking out my hand in greeting. He kept his arms glued to his side. “I don’t touch women,” he said.

Why is it okay to discriminate against women for religious reasons - The Washington Post

Discrimination against gays for religious reasons is bigotry and has nothing to do with true notion of Christianity, as we all know now. Example of Indiana clearly showed Americans' opinion on balance between civil and religious rights. It is OK though to discriminate against women, especially by religious minorities - Muslims and Jews - as we don't want to hurt their feelings. While gays constitute only 3.8% of this nation, there are about 158 mln. women.
There is much wider bigotry against more than 50% of American population and everybody keeps silent.

Not very long ago I met a young man at a business function. “Hello, I’m Amanda,” I said, sticking out my hand in greeting. He kept his arms glued to his side. “I don’t touch women,” he said.

Why is it okay to discriminate against women for religious reasons - The Washington Post

Discrimination against gays for religious reasons is bigotry and has nothing to do with true notion of Christianity, as we all know now. Example of Indiana clearly showed Americans' opinion on balance between civil and religious rights. It is OK though to discriminate against women, especially by religious minorities - Muslims and Jews - as we don't want to hurt their feelings. While gays constitute only 3.8% of this nation, there are about 158 mln. women.
There is much wider bigotry against more than 50% of American population and everybody keeps silent.

Considering the fact that only a tiny percentage of Jews in this country are so ultra-orthodox as to exhibit the behavior in question,my question would be to ask why this deceptive columnist is attempting to portray Jewish people in this light?

The actual truth of the matter is that American Jews are one of the most consistently liberal segments of the population, and there is no wide bigotry against women among Jews.

Trying to influence perceptions against an entire people by painting them according to only the tiniest percentage of extremists should be beneath the dignity of any sort of reputable newspaper.

Discrimination within private associations, such as religion, is permitted.

What is worse, some woman not getting her hand shook, or using government to force the man to shake her hand?

In the public forum, if men or women are discriminating wrongfully in terms of the law, the law can and should intervene.

In the public forum, if men or women are discriminating wrongfully in terms of the law, the law can and should intervene.

So your options are force the guy to shake the woman's hand, or he has to figure out a way to interact with the public without putting himself in the situation where he would be expected to shake a woman's hand?

Fine. Was the woman in question discriminated against by the guy who would not touch her?

Fine. Was the woman in question discriminated against by the guy who would not touch her?
Apparently she went home and hung herself in shame.

I'm a contractor and do some commercial work. Very rarely do I see men working in the stores. Most of the time it's 100% female (which is why they need guys like me). No discrimination there?

Thank you for agreeing on the principle. Whether or not this particular issue is discrimination must be dealt with in the courts if it is a public forum issue.

Thank you for agreeing on the principle. Whether or not this particular issue is discrimination must be dealt with in the courts if it is a public forum issue.

So you think the matter of whether or not his actions rose to the crime of discrimination should be determined in court? You have no opinion one way or another? I mean, anything can be deemed a "public forum issue" if that is ones agenda.

So you think the matter of whether or not his actions rose to the crime of discrimination should be determined in court? You have no opinion one way or another? I mean, anything can be deemed a "public forum issue" if that is ones agenda.
You are entitled to your view as you wish. Mine is for myself, and I won't quarrel with you over this issue.

So your options are force the guy to shake the woman's hand, or he has to figure out a way to interact with the public without putting himself in the situation where he would be expected to shake a woman's hand?

It can be a bit awkward. The women are also so constrained. When I meet a couple the guy shakes my hand while the woman smiles and says hello. When in Rome I follow the local customs.

You are entitled to your view as you wish. Mine is for myself, and I won't quarrel with you over this issue.

We aren't quarrelling. I asked what seems to be a straight forward question: do you think the matter of whether or not his actions rose to the crime of discrimination should be determined in court?

Yes it is proper to discriminate against women fir religious and moral reasons. When one looks at the strengths and weaknesses of both genders and the concept that in a large percentage of religious/spiritual teachings it is women who brought evil/pain into the world, why wouldn't we discriminate against them?

It can be a bit awkward. The women are also so constrained. When I meet a couple the guy shakes my hand while the woman smiles and says hello. When in Rome I follow the local customs.

The question is when they leave Rome, and their customs are more restrictive, should we force them to come to our way of doing things?

I've had female colleagues work with Ultra Orthodox Hasidics, and they have never been discourteous in conversations or business dealings, they just don't want any physical contact with them.

The question is when they leave Rome, and their customs are more restrictive, should we force them to come to our way of doing things?

I've had female colleagues work with Ultra Orthodox Hasidics, and they have never been discourteous in conversations or business dealings, they just don't want any physical contact with them.

So the question is: Did the Orthodox Jew discriminate by refusing to touch a woman and if not, what was the point of the article and the OP?

A person can be as discriminatory as they wish in their personal contacts. There is no law forcing anyone to shake hands with anyone else even in a business context.

So the question is: Did the Orthodox Jew discriminate by refusing to touch a woman and if not, what was the point of the article and the OP?

100% no if he was a private citizen, and I'd say 80% no if he was a government official. Short of hurt feewings there is no harm caused by this.

Forum List

Back