Why is it a big deal that Muslims have a day of prayer?

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
Just curious..it seems some people here and in the media are upset that muslims are going to D.C. for a day of prayer.

Why are you upset by this?

I fully admit I have VERY LITTLE information about the situation other than a bunch of Muslims are going to gather for a day of prayer so maybe you guys can enlighten me as to the big deal:

Is it a government funded gathering?
Are other religions exluded from doing the same type of thing?
What is your specific issue with this gathering?

Any other bits of information are welcome.

OH I forgot to add something.

those questions I asked....if it is govt funded I take issue, if other groups aren't allowed to do the same I take issue, and if neither are the case I dont see how anyone can take issue with the event.

Did the Muslims take part in the "National Day of Prayer"? You know who did not. He skipped it.

I'm wondering what people would say if it was the KKK, or the NAZI party doing their thing, would people support their right as well?

there should be none at all for any religion...religion skews logical thinking...

We already had our National Day of Prayer which is an ecumenical celebration. Yet Obama chose not to attend. Why didn't the muslims attend that day? Perhaps Obama will recognize individual days of prayer on Capitol Hill for Catholics , Baptists, Jews, Buddhists,Scientologists, and each religion.
-----------
In 1952 President Truman established one day a year as a National Day of Prayer.

In 1988, President Reagan designated the first Thursday in May of each year as the National Day of Prayer.

This year, 2009, President Obama, decided to cancel the ceremony for the National Day of Prayer at the White House. The reason... not wanting to offend anyone.

Muslim website footer: "OUR TIME HAS COME."

September 25, 2009 Islamic Day of Prayer at the White House | Culture Wars

Here is what I don't understand about this whole situation.

Many times on this forum, I hear people say, "where are the moderate Muslims and why don't we hear from them" ?

So here are thousands of loyal and patriotic Muslims having a day of prayer for America and all of her people.

But both the media and people of this forum act like it's a meeting of radicals shouting "Death to America"

We are currently fighting Islamic fundamentalists. We DIE at their hands. So pardon if ppl get a little nervous when they hear that a large number of Muslims plans to converge upon the capital.

Nobody's going to stop them, but people are going to be nervous.

When moderate American Muslims have a day of prayer for our country.

They should be supported, and not vilified.

You've missed the point. The American Muslims (and any others) could have attended the National Day of Prayer in May, which is an ecumenical celebration of prayer for this country and all of our fellow men.

The gathering would have brought together people of all faiths and races in unity and prayer. Our president chose to cancel that gathering so as NOT TO OFFEND anyone. Does that make any sense at all? Did he not understand then, that allowing the Muslims to have their own prayer at the Capitol might offend some?

If you have an issue, Obama should be vilified for his radical action that further divided our country.

Many times on this forum, I hear people say, "where are the moderate Muslims and why don't we hear from them" ?

So here are thousands of loyal and patriotic Muslims having a day of prayer for America and all of her people.

But both the media and people of this forum act like it's a meeting of radicals shouting "Death to America"

And the Muslims they just caught trying to blow up buildings and gas underground rail systems?

You and I disagree strongly on my rights as a gay person, but you are spot on in this topic. :clap2:

And the Muslims they just caught trying to blow up buildings and gas underground rail systems?
What does their actions have to do with thousands of patriotic moderate muslims wanting to pray for America???

Did the Muslims take part in the "National Day of Prayer"? You know who did not. He skipped it.

So? Is it manditory now?

you drag that outta your ass? seems to me if they were sincere in praying for the America they love the National Day of Prayer would have been appropriate,, so did they participate or not?

Boy...you sure make it sound like you want it manditory for the President to attend the National Day of Prayer. And it certainly continues to sound like you want groups to pigeonhole their prayers for America on a set day and time. I'm not very religious, but I'm pretty sure that's not the point to freedom of religion.

When moderate American Muslims have a day of prayer for our country.

They should be supported, and not vilified.

You've missed the point. The American Muslims (and any others) could have attended the National Day of Prayer in May, which is an ecumenical celebration of prayer for this country and all of our fellow men. so you know there were no muslims in attendance? link, please?

The gathering would have brought together people of all faiths and races in unity and prayer. Our president chose to cancel that gathering so as NOT TO OFFEND anyone.no he didn't, nor could he as it was instituted by congress.

Does that make any sense at all? no, but you're a cat, we don't really expect much

Did he not understand then, that allowing the Muslims to have their own prayer at the Capitol might offend some?
it's not in his purview to *allow* anyone of any religion to do anything. have you been to america?

If you have an issue, Obama should be vilified for his radical action that further divided our country.

our?

happy to help out

Forum List

Back