Why is is thjat Gay Marriage

Which brings me to my point the whole time this issue existed. Get marriage out of the laws, period. ;)

Gay or straight, I don't care, having religious ideals in the law like this is just plain stupid.
You know, a couple law students here in CA are trying to get a Proposition put on the ballot to make all CIVIL Marriages, gay and straight, called Civil Unions and that all legal references to "marriage" in laws and legal documentation be changed to "civil union"....that only religious unions be allowed to be called "Marriage." What do you think its chances are?

Last edited:
kk, you are the one that wrote that hetero relations are just about the sex as well.

Jeez, is there anyone here who could stay on and remember the topic?

heterosexuality is about sex. ;)

or maybe not... It would seem that these christian republican rightwingers dont have sex. That helps to explain why they are perpetually pissed off at the world and at people who are actually getting laid!

lol lol !

Which brings me to my point the whole time this issue existed. Get marriage out of the laws, period. ;)

Gay or straight, I don't care, having religious ideals in the law like this is just plain stupid.
You know, a couple law students here in CA are trying to get a Proposition put on the ballot to make all CIVIL Marriages, gay and straight, called Civil Unions....that only religious unions be allowed to be called "Marriage." What do you think its chances are?

Not high enough yet, but that would be a nice compromise.

You know, a couple law students here in CA are trying to get a Proposition put on the ballot to make all CIVIL Marriages, gay and straight, called Civil Unions....that only religious unions be allowed to be called "Marriage." What do you think its chances are?

Hard to say what the prospects are, what with OUT OF STATE MORMONS coming here where they don't live to fund anti-campaigns, but I love the concept.

Other countries separate the two, and it works for them!

You know, a couple law students here in CA are trying to get a Proposition put on the ballot to make all CIVIL Marriages, gay and straight, called Civil Unions and that all legal references to "marriage" in laws and legal documentation be changed to "civil union"....that only religious unions be allowed to be called "Marriage." What do you think its chances are?
I would vote for that bill

is almost always brought up on message boards by right-wingers who (apparently) feel that not allowing them to marry their secret gay lover is the onyl thing keeping their marriage intact?

why would you make a thread about a topic you seem to want to discuss yet insult half the board with you OP?

It makes it very hard for someone who may not support Gay Marriage to have an open and honest discussion with you.

The institution of marriage pre dates our Judo-Christian notion of it and it is not inherently religious. Its just that religious people want to make it about their religion and that in our society marriage has come to connote religion. Also, I think it is in the interest of the state to provide rights and benefits to those who do decide to enter into a union so the idea shouldnt be altogether scrapped.

is almost always brought up on message boards by right-wingers who (apparently) feel that not allowing them to marry their secret gay lover is the onyl thing keeping their marriage intact?

Strange, but I think this is the second gay marriage thread I have read today and both of them were started by lefties. Go figure.

In fact, I don't think I have read many gay marriage threads since the election and when I do read them it seems to me to be lefties that bring up the subject.

Just my two cents worth.

Immie

Tell that to the voters in California who just passed Prop 8.

Strange, but I think this is the second gay marriage thread I have read today and both of them were started by lefties. Go figure.

In fact, I don't think I have read many gay marriage threads since the election and when I do read them it seems to me to be lefties that bring up the subject.

Just my two cents worth.

Immie

I am considered conservative by about 90% of the people on this board and I started a gay marriage related thread with a poll today.

And it wasn't slamming gay marriage OMG :cool:

As would I. I've been looking for the petition to sign.

The institution of marriage pre dates our Judo-Christian notion of it and it is not inherently religious. Its just that religious people want to make it about their religion and that in our society marriage has come to connote religion. Also, I think it is in the interest of the state to provide rights and benefits to those who do decide to enter into a union so the idea shouldnt be altogether scrapped.

Aaah ... but the earliest versions had nothing to do with gender, law, or even sex. ;)

Sure, if we went back to the original concept of marriage I would be happy, that would mean there are no laws involved and the ceremony would be performed by "pagan" leaders. Also, divorce would be easy as pie.

By only 4 percent...after some pretty horribly fear and lying tactics in out-of-state funded commercials. By only 4 percent even when entire church congregations were handed signs and told to go stand on street corners on Sunday because that's what Jesus wanted them to do. By only 4 percent even when the No on H8 people didn't start their own commercial campaign until just a few weeks before the election. By only 4 percent when just a few years ago, Prop 22 passed by a LOT more.

The tide is turning. What do you think the percentage will be next time? Especially with 18,000 of us legally married campaigning for our brothers and sisters.

Just my two cents worth.

Immie

I am considered conservative by about 90% of the people on this board and I started a gay marriage related thread with a poll today.

And it wasn't slamming gay marriage OMG :cool:

I must have missed it as I did the one started by froggy from 9/1.

As would I. I've been looking for the petition to sign.

Although, I believe homosexuality to be a sin, I do not believe the government has the right to legislate against sin itself as long as the sin does not affect other human beings.

In my opinion, marriage is a rite of the church and should remain as such.

I would support such a bill as well.

Immie

why would you make a thread about a topic you seem to want to discuss yet insult half the board with you OP?

It makes it very hard for someone who may not support Gay Marriage to have an open and honest discussion with you.
Only if they consider themselves a part of that majority.

Is that why you took offense?

By only 4 percent...after some pretty horribly fear and lying tactics in out-of-state funded commercials. By only 4 percent even when entire church congregations were handed signs and told to go stand on street corners on Sunday because that's what Jesus wanted them to do. By only 4 percent even when the No on H8 people didn't start their own commercial campaign until just a few weeks before the election. By only 4 percent when just a few years ago, Prop 22 passed by a LOT more.

The tide is turning. What do you think the percentage will be next time? Especially with 18,000 of us legally married campaigning for our brothers and sisters.
See? This is why it's hard to have a discussion with you Liberals. All you do is resort to name calling when you can't defend your position.

Yeah, the tide is turning. If Obama gets his way and legalizes all illegals then you can kiss Gay Marriage goodbye in the state of California. They're predominately Catholic you know.

I was born and raised in California by the way. Born in Hollywood (not West Hollywood :lol:) Presbyterian Hospital, lived in Watts during the riots. Moved to Lakewood then Long Beach.

Except for the weather, California is a piece of shit and a festering wound that will never heal.

See? This is why it's hard to have a discussion with you Liberals. All you do is resort to name calling when you can't defend your position.

Yeah, the tide is turning. If Obama gets his way and legalizes all illegals then you can kiss Gay Marriage goodbye in the state of California. They're predominately Catholic you know.

I was born and raised in California by the way. Born in Hollywood (not West Hollywood :lol:) Presbyterian Hospital, lived in Watts during the riots. Moved to Lakewood then Long Beach.

Except for the weather, California is a piece of shit and a festering wound that will never heal.

Meh, both "types" of people do this, no surprise.

The only thing that gays seek in court and in legislatures is equality in CIVIL marriage. Courts and legislatures have no power in church, nor have they ever. Have you seen any church successfully forced to marry interfaith couples? No? Well you won't either.

IF....IF Civil Unions gave the exact same legal rights as Civil Marriage, you would not hear any complaints at all. In fact, in England they do officially call it Civil Union, even tho it has the same rights as Marriage. Hear any complains out of the UK?

Wrong, that is not the only thing the queer movement seeks.

Now, you are correct in saying courts and legislation has no power over churches. No where in the US is gay marriage "illegal" as the pro-queer propaganda would have us believe. The whole 'debate' is really about getting all of society to recognize gay marriages the same as they do normal marriages.

Gays all have the same "legal rights" has hetrosexual married couples the same way any person who isn't in such a marriage can - such as power of attorney and use of wills. But thats not good enough for queers. What they really want is for society to condone their homosexual activity. They want to be recognized as "normal" to the point where they can adopt children, join the military as openly gay, and promote homosexuality as normal to young children.

The only thing that gays seek in court and in legislatures is equality in CIVIL marriage. Courts and legislatures have no power in church, nor have they ever. Have you seen any church successfully forced to marry interfaith couples? No? Well you won't either.

IF....IF Civil Unions gave the exact same legal rights as Civil Marriage, you would not hear any complaints at all. In fact, in England they do officially call it Civil Union, even tho it has the same rights as Marriage. Hear any complains out of the UK?

Wrong, that is not the only thing the queer movement seeks.

Now, you are correct in saying courts and legislation has no power over churches. No where in the US is gay marriage "illegal" as the pro-queer propaganda would have us believe. The whole 'debate' is really about getting all of society to recognize gay marriages the same as they do normal marriages.

Gays all have the same "legal rights" has hetrosexual married couples the same way any person who isn't in such a marriage can - such as power of attorney and use of wills. But thats not good enough for queers. What they really want is for society to condone their homosexual activity. They want to be recognized as "normal" to the point where they can adopt children, join the military as openly gay, and promote homosexuality as normal to young children.

How do you know? Are you gay or do you have family members who are close to you that are?

Forum List

Back