Why is ice slippery?

Selivan

Gold Member
Jan 17, 2018
USSR
Fundamental Physics

I bought skates and went for a drive on a frozen lake ...
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
My skates are bought at the best store in America or Canada, they are made for NHL professionals who are World Champions
(until the "КРАСНАЯ МАШИНА" stops them) .... :04:
My skates are sharp ...
-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
I go and ride on the lake ...

================================================== =
Now the question ...
- The ice on this lake is very smooth
- The ice on this lake is rusty ....

--------------------------------------------------
If I have professional skates, then on which ice is it easier for me to play?

On a smooth or rusty? :04:

Fundamental Physics

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
My skates are bought at the best store in America or Canada, they are made for NHL professionals who are World Champions
My skates are sharp ...
-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

Now the question ...

Gee, that's a tough question!

Fundamental Physics

My skates are sharp ...

Now the question ...

Find the thinest patch of ice in the middle of the lake, your skating experience will be a never to be repeated one of a kind event.............

Ice is a solid, therefore it supports more weight. As a tightly packed smooth surface it has a low drag coefficient. Finally as ice melts at the lead edge of the skate, anything that promotes a slight melting will assist in the speed.

• Banned
Ice is a solid, therefore it supports more weight. As a tightly packed smooth surface it has a low drag coefficient. Finally as ice melts at the lead edge of the skate, anything that promotes a slight melting will assist in the speed.
You are on the right decision ...
But, this is not a complete answer

• Banned
Hint...
Newton's third law + Pressure

--------------------
1. The pressure on the ice depends on the area of the ridge and the quality of its sharpening

2. The power with which a person presses on the ice depends on the angle with which it moves and on the speed with which the person moves ...
- if the ice is smooth, then the person spends more effort not to fall
- if the ice is rusty, then the person is less power not to fall ....

Think more ... :04:

I will wait for the opinions of other Americans

My opinion is that this problem has two correct solutions. What say you, physics man? What is the solution?

new-1.jpg

I still do not see a competent answer, even though I read a lot of chatter and spent a lot of time ...
----------------------------------------
Think more ...
In fact, the answer is very simple, but you need to know Physics
:04:

I still do not see a competent answer, even though I read a lot of chatter and spent a lot of time ...
----------------------------------------
Think more ...
In fact, the answer is very simple, but you need to know Physics
:04:

Your problem, Baby Blue, is that none of your "problems" have a clearly defined and objective answer, but rely upon YOU to tell us what is "competent," and if you need to know physics, then you ought to go back to school learn some then come back when you know some, because you've clearly demonstrated that you don't know SHIT. And the only reason why any of us participate in any of your arcane threads is to see what tomfoolery you will come up with next and laugh at you as the #1 buffoon and laughing stock of USMB.

Forum List

Back