Why is green policy and renewable energy necessary?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Big Fitz, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    A thought occurred to me. What possible reason is there to go green? It used to mean that you believed in preventing hunting, farming and fishing depletion, which still are considered rational points of view. It dealt with things like pollution control like stopping 'love canals' and acid rain. But now... really. What does this even represent?

Consider now that Climate Change/Anthropogenic Global Warming has been shown to be the result of statistical manipulation by frauds and political opportunists, doesn't this kind of invalidate 95% of the reason for any push to be 'green'?

Oh sure, you have idiots out there who still believe we're going to run out of oil next week (set your always receding point of depletion to wherever) but find after find keeps proving them wrong too. Peak oilers just can't seem to accept that a bumblebee can fly despite why it shouldn't be able to according to their understanding.

So really, what sane person actually believes that there are any benefits to going green? All I can see is that it is social engineering for the sake of centralized power over people's lives and to shove society on to inefficient and less successful technology than what currently exists. All this based on the skeleton of the corpse of rational conservation policy that was long abandoned in the 1960's for this current radicalism.

Plus aren't these the same kind of people who believe that the world is overcrowded (utter crap) and we should kill off a few billion 'just to keep the balance'? Balance of what, we don't really know as we've shown even now we have lots of excess capacity to produce food, with the technology to allow even more people to live well on this world.

So really. Why bother going green?

2. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Green energy is made in America.

Green energy takes the control of energy away from the big corporations and gives it to the ordinary citizen.

That's what they are REALLY afraid of.

3. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    "Green" energy does not meet the needs of any modern society. That's what I and every businessman is afraid of. So should everyone else. The collapse of modern civilization to meet some imagined reality is indescribably stupid.

4. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    How does being energy efficient = The collapse of modern civilization?

Are you pissed off about low-volume flush toilets?

5. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Yes, he is.

Last week I was in a 7,000 square foot house that has an energy bill of $100 a month.

It can be done.

But taking control of energy away from the big corporations is one more thing that Republicans are afraid of.

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Don't go green, you will enjoy paying about 5x as much for energy in under 20 years.

Before the flop oil demand had pretty much reached daily pumping capacity.

7. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    How do you figure that? What is your line of thought? How are they giving it to the ordinary citizen if I might ask? I am curious to know which big corporations are taking away control to give to the ordinary citizen. How is this done?

8. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Ahhh moving the goal posts I see.

Conserving is fine, but conserving only delays the need for more energy and makes what you have more efficient.

BUT... there is a plateau, and after that, you have to give up the technology that requires the energy and therefore the convenience. And why are things convenience? Because they're more efficient, therefore you make your life harder and thereby less efficient. So, you can only conserve to the plateau and then you have to start increasing power supply. It's a negative feedback loop.

As for low flow toilets? Yes. I am. They suck. I save no water when I have to flush 2-5 times to get a turd to go down. I'll order my next toilet from canada and put it in myself and say 'fuckyall' to the green toilet nazis.

And why has pumping capacity and refining capacity in this nation topped out (It's not even close worldwide to topping out. Peak oil is a environazi lie)? Ohh that's right, NIMBY lawsuits and anti humanist greens preventing any more exploration and development.

The math doesn't work for pinwheels and mirrors and moonshine. It does with Petrochemical energy and nuclear. BTW, the best form of producing electricity? Very environmentally friendly. Hydro.

9. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    I did? Conservation of Energy is not "Green?"

Perhaps we need a new vocabulary word, so we needn't travel in little semantic circles.

Conserving, IMHO, simply means you use less energy. There is no assumption that there will be a future that is "delayed." I could conceivably conserve today, and use less tomorrow. Or I could conserve today, and use NOTHING tomorrow.

This is utter nonsense, and again assumes that there must be an increase in energy required tomorrow.

If there is any relationship between convenience and efficiency, it the less efficient, the more convenient. An efficient power plant would use no energy to produce energy. There is no perpetual motion machine. This violates Physical Law, unless we consider nuclear physics, which allows that E = mc**2.

I'm no expert on Canadian Toilets.

However, you might try eating more fiber before investing in another toilet. And this can be used anagolously to the entire arguement: Insead of replacing existing energy systems, simply more wisely use the systems we have.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  10. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Only Republicans?

I can only guess what weird little path you've traveled to reach this conclusion.