IPCC Took Glacier Info from Student Dissertation

Big Fitz

User Quit *****
Nov 23, 2009
Extreee! Extreee! Read all about it!

UN IPCC reveals more bad data!

UN climate change panel based claims on student dissertation and magazine article - Telegraph

Deary Deary me... Looks like some of the glacier boys on this forum have a lot of wet paint to walk through from that corner they're in.

Excerpts:

In its most recent report, it stated that observed reductions in mountain ice in the Andes, Alps and Africa was being caused by global warming, citing two papers as the source of the information.

However, it can be revealed that one of the sources quoted was a feature article published in a popular magazine for climbers which was based on anecdotal evidence from mountaineers about the changes they were witnessing on the mountainsides around them.

The other was a dissertation written by a geography student, studying for the equivalent of a master's degree, at the University of Berne in Switzerland that quoted interviews with mountain guides in the Alps.

Oh you just gotta love it. Oh Crocks! What of your vaunted experts now?

But neither the dissertation or the magazine article cited as sources for this information were ever subject to the rigorous scientific review process that research published in scientific journals must undergo.

So much for 'peer reviewed'.

The magazine article, which was written by Mark Bowen, a climber and author of two books on climate change, appeared in Climbing magazine in 2002. It quoted anecdotal evidence from climbers of retreating glaciers and the loss of ice from climbs since the 1970s.

Hmmmm profiteering off the fraud? Noooo... that wouldn't cloud his judgment would it? And here's your hard science, right here:

Mr Bowen said: "I am surprised that they have cited an article from a climbing magazine, but there is no reason why anecdotal evidence from climbers should be disregarded as they are spending a great deal of time in places that other people rarely go and so notice the changes."

And meat used to spontaneously generate maggots, too.

The dissertation paper, written by professional mountain guide and climate change campaigner Dario-Andri Schworer while he was studying for a geography degree, quotes observations from interviews with around 80 mountain guides in the Bernina region of the Swiss Alps.

Oh it gets so much better! Noooo... he doesn't stand to profit either! my my my.

Once again people... FOLLOW THE MONEY!

The IPCC has faced growing criticism over the sources it used in its last report after it emerged the panel had used unsubstantiated figures on glacial melting in the Himalayas that were contained within a World Wildlife Fund (WWF) report.

It can be revealed that the IPCC report made use of 16 non-peer reviewed WWF reports.

You have GOT to be shitting me! ROFLMAO. The WWF is getting MILLIONS of dollars based on scare tactics over a fraud! They're not going to do ANYTHING to jeopardize this! No way, no how! Oh my GAWD... the wheels came flying off with this! :lol:

Tell me some more whoppers Pinocchio!

Roger Sedjo, a senior research fellow at the US research organisation Resources for the Future who also contributed to the IPCC's latest report, added: "The IPCC is, unfortunately, a highly political organisation with most of the secretariat bordering on climate advocacy.

This just in from our "No Shit Sherlock" bureau.

Oh this article is a scream. Pretty much decimates any credibility anything the IPCC has to say. Way to go London Telegraph.

"Peer review" strikes again!! :lol:
I am the idea that wrecks your train of thought...
I am the pesky fact that destroys your theory!
I am DARKWING DU... errmm.... BIIIIIIIG FITZ!

Last edited:
Interesting that our usual suspects are avoiding this thread like plutonium although they've been checking it out.

I predicted in 2005 that by 2012 being green would be the next "Disco Sucks".

The marketing of "global warming" and selling the credits must have looked good enough to risk it.

Could you imagine if these IPCC jokers were, say, medical researchers?

They'd be strung up.

I read a review of this on Watts Up With That climate site. Apparently, the guy who wrote the paper noted that the currency issues between countries really accounted for the mountaineers decline cause the climbing was to expensive. :clap2::clap2:

"Peer review" strikes again!! :lol:
I am the idea that wrecks your train of thought...
I am the pesky fact that destroys your theory!
I am DARKWING DU... errmm.... BIIIIIIIG FITZ!

Let's get dangerous.
Say the sea level does rise 7 feet in the next century.
So what?
Sure, coastal areas will be forced to relocate inland.
A bit.
Over a 100 year time frame.
How terrifying.

in the 1980's, Lake Michigan was rising. Right combinations of weather I guess. But it was going up higher and higher to the point of where many Wisconsin residences had to decide how they were going to deal with this threat. That lake can dish out very mean storms and therefore they had to seriously consider moving, or abandoning houses to the lake. Many communities started talking about dikes and sea walls.

It stopped short of course after rising like 13 feet in a decade. And then has receded back to levels about 10-15 BELOW what was considered average.

So, 7 feet in 100 years... barely a reason to lose sleep. Just adapt.

Oh and don't forget, if all of Greenland melts at a straight line prediction of about 1000 years. That still only equals 7mm a year in rising levels. 21mm if it's a worst case scenario of only 300 years.

Thumbs up to Charles for remembering the show.

Thumbs up for MM for bringing an extra level to the fight. :)

Forum List

Back