Why Is Being Rich Bad?

Not attacking the 'rich' can be easily understood.
Defending them so strongly is much more difficult to understand.
What is so important to the defenders that they become so passionate about it? Is it merely the dream of also becoming rich?
That is a puzzler.

The most logical explanation I can come up with is the tribal aspect that underlies strongly held political ideologies, which plainly applies to most right-wing neo-Conservatives -- especially those with deeply imbedded racist convictions. Loyalty to their tribe transcends such considerations as excessive wealth -- even though most of them haven't a pot to piss in.

Belonging is their main concern and progressives are the enemies of their philosophical tribe.

How do you separate the two?

P.S. I'd like to keep the thread along the lines of why is it bad? (not at at you Sallow but going forward)

Being rich isn't bad. Being greedy is. The two dont always go along with each other either. There are plenty of greedy poor people and generous rich people.

And who defines greedy? let me guess you?
Webster:

greedy
adj.

Wanting or taking all that one can get, with no thought of others' needs; desiring more than one needs or deserves; avaricious; covetous

Greed is someone who wants something for nothing - that is greed....
That's indolence.

Liberals don't hate the rich. They fight anyone who perverts our country to serve the rich.

The Republicans have done a great job of branding themselves. They basically made their party into the VIP section of the country. "Pssst. Hey! We're the cool rich guys. If you stand with us, I might be able to get you in." What the poor schulbs trying to hang with the rich don't realize is...the more they try to fit in, the less they ever will.

And this isn't something abstract. I see it all the time. Dress preppy. Buy a cool car. Go to certain social gatherings where people all try to impress each other with how affluent they are. All the while espousing the principles they think will get them up the ladder.

Great branding job though. Beats the heck out of the Dems and the "we're extra righteous because we help the less fortunate." That's not as sexy.

Not attacking the 'rich' can be easily understood.
Defending them so strongly is much more difficult to understand.
What is so important to the defenders that they become so passionate about it? Is it merely the dream of also becoming rich?
That is a puzzler.

The most logical explanation I can come up with is the tribal aspect that underlies strongly held political ideologies, which plainly applies to most right-wing neo-Conservatives -- especially those with deeply imbedded racist convictions. Loyalty to their tribe transcends such considerations as excessive wealth -- even though most of them haven't a pot to piss in.

Belonging is their main concern and progressives are the enemies of their philosophical tribe.

The above is a very good question and one I have asked numerous times. Of course, not one of the right wing wack jobs on here have ever tried to address the question.

But you do a very good job of explaining why the right wingers are so wacked out about taxing the rich more. It's a "tribal" thing.

If any of you right winger crazies have a better explanation, have at it.

Why are you so worried that ultra rich people (including Dems) could pay higher taxes than they currently are. (Higher by about 4%)

Why are you middle class right wingers so concerned about protecting the wealth of the hated "rich lefties"?

Or are you just waiting for the "trickle down" effect to kick in and make you rich also?

Why Is Being Rich Bad?

foxministryoflies.jpg

btshtcrzyfoxnews.jpg

Last edited:
By itself? It isn't "bad". But when wealth..affords power..

Then it's real bad.

How do you separate the two?

P.S. I'd like to keep the thread along the lines of why is it bad? (not at at you Sallow but going forward)

Perhaps it's going to take a Constitutional amendment.

This seems to be an issue both sides are pissed about..and have tried to do something about.

McCain-Feingold comes to mind.

Personally I'd like to see something that:

-Limits contributions.
-Identifies contributors.
-Limits electioneering to 30 days before an election.
-Provides equal time in media to viable parties.
-Prohibits people that have had elected office from taking jobs as lobbyists for a fixed time period after they leave office.

That's probably not enough..but it's a start.

See if you can reply without reference to Romney or Obama.

Why is it bad?

Not saying it is good or bad. I don't think anyone did.

It's what you do with that wealth is often the issue.

If you use it to be a patron of the arts and start charities and foundations, that's a wonderful thing.

if you use it to make sex tapes of yourself and be a party girl a la Paris Hilton and disdain folks who work to put food on the table, that's not so wonderful.

The parable of the young rich man and the camel is WIDELY overused by some liberals.

Jesus wasn't saying that the rich can't be saved. The message was that it was impossible for ANYONE to be saved by human power alone. No one is EVER worthy of God.

It's not being rich that is "bad".

It's the method in which you become rich that can be bad. Tax evasion via loop-hole, aggressive/crony business practices (guised as "capitalism").

There are many more way to get rich via taking advantage of the system, people and services than there is via an honest living. It has almost become mandatory.

Harry Reid is living proof of that. When he came to the Senate, he was not a multi-millionaire. Now he is. He uses his power to line his own pockets. That is bad.

See if you can reply without reference to Romney or Obama.

Why is it bad?

Misleading question. Being rich is NOT bad.

The question should be:

Is being rich a good or bad way to be?

It wasn't misleading to the 132 posters before you...just saying.

Yes it was. You assumed the answer to whether it is good or bad by asking why it is bad. Since it is obviously not bad, your question is misleading.

Similar to, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" being asked to someone that has never beat his wife.

Forum List

Back