Why Interpol, Mr. President?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ScreamingEagle, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    December 31, 2009

Some distressing civil liberties questions must be asked about an ever-lengthening list of decisions, proposals, and observations by President Obama.

To begin, Obama is the first president to give an international law enforcement organization like Interpol free rein within the territorial confines of this nation, presumably not excluding the arrest and exportation of Americans to be charged with crimes under international law.

Put simply, this means the Constitution is no longer the supreme law of the land in America. Thanks to Executive Order 12425 , which Obama signed Dec. 16 without explaining why, the supreme law of the land is now arguably whatever Interpol says it is, most likely as directed by the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands, in conjunction with the United Nations.

Mark Tapscott: What is Barack Obama doing? UPDATED: Why Interpol, Mr. President? | Washington Examiner

The UN and Interpol How the UN will gain power
    The UN and Interpol How the UN will gain power

Interpol, In Your Midst
    Interpol, In Your Midst

2. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,280
    Got proof?

3. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,917
    Check your sources. Do some research on your own. Read the Executive Order, and the one it's amending.

The order that Obama signed amending a previous executive order, signed by Reagan, that allowed for Interpol to act within this country. The only changes made by Obama's executive order are relating to tax issues.

Here's some real sources.

Obama's Executive Order:
    Executive Order 13524 - Wikisource

Which amended this Order, by Reagan:
    Executive Order 12425 - Wikisource

I promise, if you think for yourself, you'll understand things better. Instead of letting the editorial board of the Canadian Free Press think for you.

4. ScreamingEagle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Obama's change says " in order to extend the appropriate privileges, exemptions, and immunities to the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL),..."

I can understand "exemptions" as relating to tax matters but please explain the "privileges" and "immunities" part.....

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  5. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,917
    You're reading the wrong part. This is the only part that actually matters:
    Here's the text of the original EO:
    Sections 2(c), 3, 4, 5 and 6 all relate to tariffs and taxes. All Obama's order changed was the reference to those sections.

All are linked on Wikisource, I don't feel like pasting the links.

6. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,917
    ...Guess I really killed this thread.

Oops.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. ScreamingEagle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    This is an interpretation by those in the news and probably more qualified...

8. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,917
    You see, as I said before, I prefer to actually read the order, and the sections that it modifies, rather than let bloggers tell me what to think about it. YOU CAN READ ALL THE RELEVANT PARTS. There's nothing in it all that could possibly be translated to "...elevate an international police force above American law? Why would we immunize an international police force from the limitations that constrain the FBI and other American law-enforcement agencies? Why is it suddenly necessary to have, within the Justice Department, a repository for stashing government files which, therefore, will be beyond the ability of Congress, American law-enforcement, the media, and the American people to scrutinize?"

Really, man. Think for yourself.

9. ScreamingEagle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    If Obama really did nothing......why the uproar by some?

Legalese has a nasty habit of meaning more than what it appears to say...I personally am not an expert, are you? You must admit that this is a pretty damning statement in the above article which I am sure was not made lightly:

"Obama's executive order has done more to weaken civil liberties than the much maligned Patriot Act. The silence in the mainstream media on this issue should scare all freedom loving Americans. Obama just signed away parts of our precious legal protections."

10. noose4

noose4 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +610

The right puts forth faux outrage pretty much every time President Obama uses the rest room, they prey on those who take right wing supposed news sources as gospel.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1