Why I Support a Public Option.

I spent 16 YEARS in Government handling accounts, I know exactly how it works.

HERE'S a guy that spent almost 20 years inside the health insurance industry and tells us exactly how it works AGAINST American citizens...

<snip>

...ost of the shareholders are large, institutional investors and hedge funds. Hedge fund managers are the ones who look at the stock. And investors for large organizations. It's not mom and pop investor.

Bill Moyers Journal . Wendell Potter on Profits Before Patients | PBS

I happened to catch that episode one evening while flipping through the box......

The Mean Old USMB Software said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bfgrn again.

Bummer!

:popcorn:

There are many reasons why I do not want Owe Bama's Health Care Reform Bill to pass - especially with a public option involved:

(1) The government has proved to us all that they can't manage Social Security.
(2) The governmant has proved to us all that they can't manage Medicare.
(3) The government has proved to us all that they can't manage the Postal System.
(4) The government has just recently proved to us all that they can't manage something as simple as a Cash for Clunkers program.

There are four pretty good reasons right in front of your nose why you should fear Government controlled Health Care Reform. If they are not good enough reasons to prove to you the government has no business in the Health Care Business I can only offer you just one more reason why I don't think the government should get involved:

THE CONSTITUTION DOES NOT SUPPORT THE US GOVERNMENT SELLING INSURANCE TO ANYBODY.

1.2%..... 'Nuff said.

Could you source that, please?

&#9773;proletarian&#9773;;1998321 said:
The problem I have is this: the federal government has fucked up just about everything they've ever touched. The Fed is renowned for incomprehensible waste. How can we trust anything as important as health care in their hands?

And yet Social Security, with no changes, is solvent through 2035 and running at 1.2% efficiency with more individuals to collect from, monitor the records for and pay out to than any bureaucracy in the history of this silly little planet.

Imagine what we might save in health care costs if we quit using our health care dollars to buy corporate jets and veal for the bureaucrats that manage the health insurance bureaucracy.

I figure that if We, The People ran an ad looking for bureaucrats to run a health care bureaucracy, we would probably get adequately qualified candidates for most of the required tasks for between $30,000 and $250,000.

If you saw gasoline, guaranteed quality, for a dollar per gallon cheaper on the other side of the road, would you make a left instead of a right to save the difference?

(Pun not originally intended, but I liked it :) )​

How can we trust private, for extreme profit corporations - which can't be sent to jail for fucking us - with our most sensitive financial and personal health data? :eusa_think:

Last edited:
I do NOT want Government run health care for all. It won't work.

Are liberals missing a gene? What part of I don't want to pay for everyone else don't you get? What part of take PERSONAL responsibility for your self and your family don't you get?

The health care crap in Congress right now does not improve anything. If you want Health care to be sold across State lines? It is not in there. If you want preexisting conditions covered make single bill for that. If you want all non work people covered by one group rate make a single bill for that.

NONE of that requires Government to be involved at all. Just make a law.

Get tort reform in there. Get the shyster Lawyers out of our medical costs.

There is not a SINGLE program the Government runs that is cost effective and runs smoothly. They are all full of waste and abuse. It is the NATURE of the beast.

No Government entity EVER has an incentive to save a dime.In fact by their very nature they MUST spend every penny given them even if it is wasted doing it. Failing to do so means next year their budget goes DOWN.

Every Government agency has every incentive to create more work for itself so that it can get more money. No Government agency ever works to eliminate its self or save the tax payers a penny. By their very nature they must grow.

Bolded part is bullshit. 20% of expenditures by private insurance companies are administrative costs. Medicare spends........wait for it............2%. That's right kids, medicare is a helluva lot more efficient than private insurance.

Don't believe me? Then buy this article.

Medicare Versus Private Insurance: Rhetoric And Reality -- Davis et al., 10.1377/hlthaff.w2.311 -- Health Affairs

&#9773;proletarian&#9773;;2000641 said:
There are many reasons why I do not want Owe Bama's Health Care Reform Bill to pass - especially with a public option involved:

(2) The governmant has proved to us all that they can't manage Medicare.
(3) The government has proved to us all that they can't manage the Postal System.
(4) The government has just recently proved to us all that they can't manage something as simple as a Cash for Clunkers program.

There are four pretty good reasons right in front of your nose why you should fear Government controlled Health Care Reform. If they are not good enough reasons to prove to you the government has no business in the Health Care Business I can only offer you just one more reason why I don't think the government should get involved:

THE CONSTITUTION DOES NOT SUPPORT THE US GOVERNMENT SELLING INSURANCE TO ANYBODY.

1.2%..... 'Nuff said.

Could you source that, please?

I read it on the web site: Social Security Online - The Official Website of the U.S. Social Security Administration last summer; I'll link it as soon as I find the page again.

If you remove the million dollar executives and their needs from the equation, costs to the consumer come down. Take banking for instance - I just received notice from my Not-For-Profit Credit Union that I had insufficient funds in checking to cover my last mortgage check. They transferred the cash out of savings and charged me $5.00.

Why don't we have a national credit union and a public option in insurance?

Good (insert your preferred Deity here) people!! We must look so stupid from space.

I think this will do little to stop increases in costs. Profits are around 3-4% for health insurance companies.

Why wouldn't you be open to non-profit private insurance? Why does it have to be a public option?

I do NOT want Government run health care for all. It won't work.

Are liberals missing a gene? What part of I don't want to pay for everyone else don't you get? What part of take PERSONAL responsibility for your self and your family don't you get?

The health care crap in Congress right now does not improve anything. If you want Health care to be sold across State lines? It is not in there. If you want preexisting conditions covered make single bill for that. If you want all non work people covered by one group rate make a single bill for that.

NONE of that requires Government to be involved at all. Just make a law.

There is not a SINGLE program the Government runs that is cost effective and runs smoothly. They are all full of waste and abuse. It is the NATURE of the beast.

No Government entity EVER has an incentive to save a dime.In fact by their very nature they MUST spend every penny given them even if it is wasted doing it. Failing to do so means next year their budget goes DOWN.

Every Government agency has every incentive to create more work for itself so that it can get more money. No Government agency ever works to eliminate its self or save the tax payers a penny. By their very nature they must grow.

Bolded part is bullshit. 20% of expenditures by private insurance companies are administrative costs. Medicare spends........wait for it............2%. That's right kids, medicare is a helluva lot more efficient than private insurance.

Don't believe me? Then buy this article.

Medicare Versus Private Insurance: Rhetoric And Reality -- Davis et al., 10.1377/hlthaff.w2.311 -- Health Affairs
What paragraph was that figure in? I didn't see it.

Governments can't run health care? The USA is the ONLY western industrialized country that does not have universal public health care for all its citizens. Healthcare costs in the USA are the most expensive among these countries and costs, at least, twice as much per capita and consumes the greatest percentage of GDP as any of these countries. The private health care industry is run for profit and Americans are paying way more for a system that ignores the needs of many of its citizens. Governments can and do run health care systems very efficiently and effectively in Europe, Japan, Canada and Australia. As one objective measure of the effectiveness of these health care systems, the average life expectancy of the citizens of these countries is higher than that of Americans. Wake up Americans, you're being duped by the private health care industry! Private = profits over patients.

So you are saying you have more experience?

Specific experience in regards accounts and how Government handles OUR money. Now if you are going to chime in with how you run Government accounts do us all a favor and do not lie to us about how you save money. The sad fact is that if an account does not spend every dime it gets that year then next year some other account will get the excess since your account obviously does not need it. No increase for inflation or new contracts or anything else.

Every year account managers get the same speech about ensuring every penny is spent before the end of the fiscal year.

RGS, your Avatar and Handle convey a pride in service to The People while in the employ of the Armed Services, yet you belittle and rail against your colleagues in Federal employ a LOT...

I find that curious. :eusa_think:

I am not railing against anything, I simply telling you HOW the Government works.

Do you feel that you know more than me because you are older and more experienced?

Once I would have answered yes to that question without any hesitation but my experience (drinking) has really fucked with my brain, so I can say I am older and more Zen-ishly older than you are.

Last edited:
&#9773;proletarian&#9773;;1998346 said:
The health care crap in Congress right now does not improve anything. If you want Health care to be sold across State lines? It is not in there.

Ezra Klein - The six Republican ideas already in the health-care reform bill

the Senate health-care bill included a compromise with the conservative vision for insurance regulation. The relevant policy is in Section 1333, which allows the formation of interstate compacts. Under this provision, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, and Idaho (for instance) could agree to allow insurers based in any of those states to sell plans in all of them. This prevents a race to the bottom, as Idaho has to be comfortable with Arizona's regulations, and the policies have to have a minimum level of benefits (something that even Rep. Paul Ryan believes), but it's a lot closer to the conservative ideal.

So rather than have the option of either public or private insurance, you'd rather pass legislation telling businesses what services they must offer?

Tort Reform Unlikely to Cut Health Care Costs The Washington Independent

Eighty percent of malpractice claims involve significant disability or death, a 2006 analysis of medical malpractice claims conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health shows, and the amount of compensation patients receive strongly depends on the merits of their claims. Most people injured by medical malpractice do not bring legal claims, earlier studies by the same researchers have found.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/opinion/12baker.html?_r=1

:eusa_whistle:

CBO disagrees on tort reform, in the main and has for quite some time:

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/55xx/doc5549/Report.pdf

quick view: