Why I Support a Public Option.

Under funded. Needs young, healthy contributors. Alternative? Make private insurance keep the elderly and the disabled as well as the young and working.

Why am I morally obligated to pay for anyone else's health care?

People who ask this question do not understand "insurance".

Insurance is a pool of funds designed to spread risk over a group of people and over time.

You pay money to an 'insurance' company today because you may get cancer in your life time and the odds are against your being able to cover the cost of the treatment you want by yourself.

It's not a question of you paying for the health care of some poor, undeserving bastard, it is a question of being lucky enough to not become a poor, undeserving bastard with health care bills he couldn't possibly have planned for without sharing the risk. In theory, the larger the group, the lower the risk and therefore the cost. Currently we have been divided into very small groups called 'employees'. We are such chumps.

Why do so many people think that 'public option' equates to 'tax-payer funded'?

I don't think any of us poor, undeserving bastards are unwilling to pay for the insurance we obtain via a public option.....​

Remember..... There are only two jobs in a for profit insurance bureaucracy that pay enough to attract basic intelligence: The guy who makes sure they only take money from people who won't get cancer and the guy who figures out how the company can legally dodge payments on claims.

Except that your analogy misses one important point. I can choose to purchase insurance. Under the Democratic Plan to force us all to carry "health insurance", I have no choice. I will either submit or go to jail. That is NOT an insurance plan. It is taxation with the promise (take that for what you will) from the U.S. Government to make sure that you can have medical care if and when you need it.

Immie

What part of the word 'OPTION' is unclear to you Sarge?

A public option is NOT free health care, it would create a non profit insurance provider where citizens could purcha$e coverage.

Private insurance corporations are NOT in the health care business, they are in the PROFIT business. Their incentive to increase PROFIT is collect premiums from policy holders, then FIRE the policy holder when they submit a claim.

It is beyond insanity

OOOh.....yes another bright idea on top of:

Public Schools!
US Postal System!!
AMTRAK!!!
Medicare!!!!
Medicaid!!!!!
Social Security!!!!!!!

For christssakes, when will people learn that without profit, there is no incentive to remain competitive, reduce costs, etc., etc?

What part of the word 'OPTION' is unclear to you Sarge?

A public option is NOT free health care, it would create a non profit insurance provider where citizens could purcha$e coverage.

Private insurance corporations are NOT in the health care business, they are in the PROFIT business. Their incentive to increase PROFIT is collect premiums from policy holders, then FIRE the policy holder when they submit a claim.

It is beyond insanity

OOOh.....yes another bright idea on top of:

Public Schools!
US Postal System!!
AMTRAK!!!
Medicare!!!!
Medicaid!!!!!
Social Security!!!!!!!

For christssakes, when will people learn that without profit, there is no incentive to remain competitive, reduce costs, etc., etc?

I am in 100% agreement.

In every market except for basic banking and general insurance.

Neither is an industry; neither makes, manufactures, processes or serves a damn thing.

Both are merely bureaucracies used to track accounts. All that is required to successfully perform either function is a shit-pile of money, a computer and some middle class bureaucrats. If the customer base is large enough, there is no risk, save the economy in general. There is NO reason anyone should be making 7 figures as an insurance bureaucrat.

Allowing people to profit handsomely from the misfortunes of others and allowing people to profit handsomely from 'moving money' is a cancer to our economy, especially when the tax payer is currently on the hook for billions as the 'banker' and 'insurer' of last resort.

(Not to mention The Fed and FEMA)

Why am I morally obligated to pay for anyone else's health care?

Insurance is a pool of funds designed to spread risk over a group of people and over time.

You pay money to an 'insurance' company today because you may get cancer in your life time and the odds are against your being able to cover the cost of the treatment you want by yourself.

It's not a question of you paying for the health care of some poor, undeserving bastard, it is a question of being lucky enough to not become a poor, undeserving bastard with health care bills he couldn't possibly have planned for without sharing the risk. In theory, the larger the group, the lower the risk and therefore the cost. Currently we have been divided into very small groups called 'employees'. We are such chumps.

I don't think any of us poor, undeserving bastards are unwilling to pay for the insurance we obtain via a public option.....​

Remember..... There are only two jobs in a for profit insurance bureaucracy that pay enough to attract basic intelligence: The guy who makes sure they only take money from people who won't get cancer and the guy who figures out how the company can legally dodge payments on claims.

Except that your analogy misses one important point. I can choose to purchase insurance. Under the Democratic Plan to force us all to carry "health insurance", I have no choice. I will either submit or go to jail. That is NOT an insurance plan. It is taxation with the promise (take that for what you will) from the U.S. Government to make sure that you can have medical care if and when you need it.

Immie

You mistakenly assume that I somehow favor the piece of crap health care 'reform' currently on display in Washington DC. It was written by and for the insurance and drug lobbies.

My personal proposal? Let everyone who wants to, buy into Medicare at the current rates for folks who are old enough, but didn't work enough to qualify.

Barely a bill needed.

Last edited:
I want a Public Option because there are 48 Million un-insured, That's 48 Million too much. If we can afford billions to fight 2 wars, Why can't we afford to keep people alive?!

Immie

You mistakenly assume that I somehow favor the piece of crap health care 'reform' currently on display in Washington DC. It was written by and for the insurance and drug lobbies.

My personal proposal? Let everyone who wants to, buy into Medicare at the current rates for folks who are old enough but didn't work enough to qualify.

Barely a bill needed.

I don't think I assumed that about you as your post did not indicate such. What I was looking at was your analogy that the public option is essentially an insurance plan. It really is not insurance. It is forced taxation with a promise that should you need it the government will provide health care.

Personally, I don't look to favorably upon that promise.

Immie

There is NO reason anyone should be making 7 figures as an insurance bureaucrat.

7 figures is a drop in the bucket compared to the Medicaid/Medicare budget

You're talking about giving more administrative responsibility to a government that cannot keep 12 million illegal immigrants from crossing its border.

A government that cannt regulate investments in "derivatives."

A government that cannot control the activities of goat-herding "terrorists" after 8 years and $$$Billion$

There is absolutely no basis to believe a Public Option would be well managed by the US government.

There is NO reason anyone should be making 7 figures as an insurance bureaucrat.

You're talking about giving more administrative responsibility to a government that cannot keep 12 million illegal immigrants from crossing its border.

Not to get off topic but, do you really think we have illegal immigrants because we can't find them? They're here because we need them! I definitely won't get into how we got here in this thread, maybe I'll start a new one because this needs to be discussed! But, they are here because without them, the economy would implode!

Immie

My personal proposal? Let everyone who wants to, buy into Medicare at the current rates for folks who are old enough but didn't work enough to qualify.

Barely a bill needed.

I don't think I assumed that about you as your post did not indicate such. What I was looking at was your analogy that the public option is essentially an insurance plan. It really is not insurance. It is forced taxation with a promise that should you need it the government will provide health care.

Immie

It shouldn't involve taxes at all. Let me pay the money that I'm already paying to my current insurance company to Medicare instead, that way I won't feel guilty about making the inevitable Medicare claims I'm sure to when my lifestyle catches up with me around age 66.

Barely a bill needed.

Immie

It shouldn't involve taxes at all. Let me pay the money that I'm already paying to my current insurance company to Medicare instead, that way I won't feel guilty about making the inevitable Medicare claims I'm sure to when my lifestyle catches up with me around age 66.

How about they let me keep my current insurance and not fall victim to the bureaucracy ruining er, running, our lives?

Immie

A government that cannt regulate investments in "derivatives."

A government that cannot control the activities of goat-herding "terrorists" after 8 years and $$$Billion$

There is absolutely no basis to believe a Public Option would be well managed by the US government.

There's one. Social Security.

1.2% efficiency compared to 22%.

Derivatives are something our government, at the behest of Alan Greenspan and a well-oiled financial lobby, chose very purposefully not to regulate. To the chagrin of Mr. Greenspan too, in hindsight.

FRONTLINE: the warning: interviews | PBS

Brooksley Born - Google Search

There is a huge difference between 'incompetent' and 'calculated theft'.

Immie

How about they let me keep my current insurance and not fall victim to the bureaucracy ruining er, running, our lives?

Immie

Congratulations. You have defined the word 'option' in Public Option. :clap2:

Immie

Congratulations. You have defined the word 'option' in Public Option. :clap2:

Except that in the proposals by the Democrats 'option' is a misnomer. It is not an option at all. An option implies I have a choice to make. Under the Democratic proposals I have no "option". That was the entire point I made earlier. Maybe you didn't read that?

Immie

If you remove the million dollar executives and their needs from the equation, costs to the consumer come down. Take banking for instance - I just received notice from my Not-For-Profit Credit Union that I had insufficient funds in checking to cover my last mortgage check. They transferred the cash out of savings and charged me $5.00.

Why don't we have a national credit union and a public option in insurance?

Good (insert your preferred Deity here) people!! We must look so stupid from space.
Yep. And the large pool of people, both healthy and unhealthy, will bring the costs down for everyone. Not to mention the portability and the freedom to not be stuck in a dead end job because you need the insurance.

I want a Public Option because there are 48 Million un-insured, That's 48 Million too much. If we can afford billions to fight 2 wars, Why can't we afford to keep people alive?!

First of all you're 48 billion is a highly inflated number. It includes everybody who doesn't have insurance. You may want to think for a second about the different types of people that includes.

Yep. And the large pool of people, both healthy and unhealthy, will bring the costs down for everyone.

Yeah, because there are so many cases we can point out to show how costs in an industry have dropped. Do you honestly think the prices will drop? Or will they stay at their current levels and raise a little slower?

-TSO

Yep. And the large pool of people, both healthy and unhealthy, will bring the costs down for everyone.

Yeah, because there are so many cases we can point out to show how costs in an industry have dropped. Do you honestly think the prices will drop? Or will they stay at their current levels and raise a little slower?

-TSO
Drop. Works for flood insurance so there is no reason it can't work for health insurance.

If you remove the million dollar executives and their needs from the equation, costs to the consumer come down. Take banking for instance - I just received notice from my Not-For-Profit Credit Union that I had insufficient funds in checking to cover my last mortgage check. They transferred the cash out of savings and charged me $5.00.

Good (insert your preferred Deity here) people!! We must look so stupid from space.

I so don't get the public option...not, at least, as I currently understand it.

Basically it appear to me to be the HC insurance dumping grounds for any client that the private insurance companies do not want.

It is, I think a terrible idea.

It could work out to be very beneficial for the private insurance companies, however.

When you get sick, they dump you and then you're the government's problem.

Does that really sound like a good system to you?

We give the private insurance companies the health population so they can make a lot of money insuring healthy people, while the taxpayer ends up with only the poor and very sick?

That's my understanding (or more like my instinct) about how a a public insurance coupled with private insurance companies is going to play out.

I so don't get the public option...not, at least, as I currently understand it.

Basically it appear to me to be the HC insurance dumping grounds for any client that the private insurance companies do not want.

It is, I think a terrible idea.

It could work out to be very beneficial for the private insurance companies, however.

When you get sick, they dump you and then you're the government's problem.

Does that really sound like a good system to you?

We give the private insurance companies the health population so they can make a lot of money insuring healthy people, while the taxpayer ends up with only the poor and very sick?

That's my understanding (or more like my instinct) about how a a public insurance coupled with private insurance companies is going to play out.

Makes you wonder if that requirement to own insurance was really the administrations idea or the insurance comapnies.

Not to get off topic but, do you really think we have illegal immigrants because we can't find them? They're here because we need them! I definitely won't get into how we got here in this thread, maybe I'll start a new one because this needs to be discussed! But, they are here because without them, the economy would implode!

"Not to get off topic," but who gives a shit about your idiotic justification for incompetant government?

A fundamental responsibility of the federal government is to protect our borders.

12 million ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS = FAILURE of FUNDAMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY

And now there are those who want to give this same government MORE responsibility?:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back