Why I don't own a 21st century vehicle...

I had a '77 Mustang from '80 to '87. Worst car I ever owned. Wife hated it. She loved it when we bought it. That was one of the reasons we bought it. Then the car started to hate her. Wouldn't start for 5 mornings in a row. Then I'd come home and on Saturday morning it would start right up.

And that 4 cylinder engine? I swear it was made by Briggs & Stratton. It couldn't get out of its own way. If you had the a/c on, there was no passing gear. I haven't owned a Ford since.
That POS was a Pinto with different sheet metal

Some don't see rebuilding a motor as a problem. Most do.
'74 F100 302 V8...(it says 350, but it's a 302. This one is mine)...

IMG_20230320_174007573~2.jpg

Vs

1989 Ford F150 302 V8...

IMG_20230320_174107918.jpg

Vs

2003 F150 4.6L ...

Screenshot_20230320-175036-374.png

Vs

2016 F150 5.0L (302 CID)...

Screenshot_20230320-175220-208.png

Vs

2022 F150 V8? 5.0?...

Screenshot_20230320-175416-782.png

Last edited:
Yeah they did.
It's not a coincidence that Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.
I love the idea of a jeep they just suck delivering on it.
Still got my 2011 Hemi Grand Cherokee. The one they had to replace the engine on at 150k. Had a host of problems prior to that too. So far over 210k and no problems so far. Use it to tow camper, and boat, and hoping to milk it out a bit more. Love the way it drives, but the reliability is questionable.
Wife blew her engine last summer towing the boat in her 2014 Cherokee at 130k, and they covered that engine too under the lifetime, but that assures we are done with Jeep in our next vehicle purchases.

Also a nightmare for those who have a Ford Explorer between 2012-2018. Has an internal waterpump that is tied into timing chain. Cost a friend 4,500 to replace a damn water pump. Half the engine has to come apart.

My old jeep that got 340k before I junked it had two windows that were stuck shut and air con was busted. That thing was a furnace for a couple summers driving.
Dropped a reman motor in my Subaru wagon last spring....Having the body work done this year...Will end up dropping 12-13K into a car that I can drive for another 10 years, where used Outbacks with 100K miles on them are fetching upwards of 20K for a decent one.

No worries,it's a Toyota.
Done both sides on the Ford...passenger side twice.

You have to drill holes in the metal door panel to get to the fasteners, then work through an opening that your hand barely fits through. PITA.

I won't by another car that doesn't have manual windows and door locks, wing windows, a carburetor and points and condenser.

Done both sides on the Ford...passenger side twice.

You have to drill holes in the metal door panel to get to the fasteners, then work through an opening that your hand barely fits through. PITA.

I won't by another car that doesn't have manual windows and door locks, wing windows, a carburetor and points and condenser.

The Wife and I now drive nothing but Toyotas.
I've had several Fords over the years and really dont have anything bad to say about em other than they start to rattle if you take em off road.
The Wifes 4Runner had 275K on it when she traded it in and it ran damn near flawlessly,other than maintenance we had to replace the driveshaft and the electric antenna.

'74 F100 302 V8...(it says 350, but it's a 302. This one is mine)...

View attachment 767644

Vs

1989 Ford F150 302 V8...

View attachment 767645

Vs

2003 F150 4.6L ...

View attachment 767649

Vs

2016 F150 5.0L (302 CID)...

View attachment 767647

Vs

2022 F150 V8? 5.0?...

View attachment 767648

I rebuilt some when I was younger. Mostly because I couldn't afford to buy a new one. Only one I built for fun was a 403 olds that I put in a 74 Grimlin.

The Wife and I now drive nothing but Toyotas.
I've had several Fords over the years and really dont have anything bad to say about em other than they start to rattle if you take em off road.
The Wifes 4Runner had 275K on it when she traded it in and it ran damn near flawlessly,other than maintenance we had to replace the driveshaft and the electric antenna.
I stick with Fords, not because I think they are better...but because I know them better. Plus I wanted something that parts would be available for far into the future.

I did have a '77 Celica with a 22R motor ...and that engine was as bulletproof as any you could buy at the time.

I stick with Fords, not because I think they are better...but because I know them better. Plus I wanted something that parts would be available for far into the future.

I did have a '77 Celica with a 22R motor ...and that engine was as bulletproof as any you could buy at the time.

I'm so glad I have my 2016 Tundra!! It only has around 12k miles on it and I wouldnt trade it for a new one at any cost.
The new ones with the turbos are a joke!!! You have to remove the cab to access the turbos which have turned out to have a lot of problems.

I'm so glad I have my 2016 Tundra!! It only has around 12k miles on it and I wouldnt trade it for a new one at any cost.
The new ones with the turbos are a joke!!! You have to remove the cab to access the turbos which have turned out to have a lot of problems.
Good grief...and I thought the F150 in-tank fuel pumps were bad...

Forum List

Back