Why Have Unwanted Pregnancies Increased After The Advent of The Birth Control Pill?

That or the girl was whisked off to another state and the baby was given up for adoption.

Don't you believe that putting an unwanted infant up for adoption is a responsible option?

I think the responsible option is for men to wear condoms and not assume a woman is on the pill. They should wear one if not for the birth control aspect of a condom..... the STD aspect of a condom.

Doesn't the woman bear equal responsibility? She can always say: " no condom, no sex".

Unwanted pregnancies haven't increased

What used to happen was if you got pregnant you rushed off to get married. Instead of an unwanted pregnancy you had unwanted marriages

Don't you think it is responsible to marry a girl after getting her pregnant? Are you saying is that men used to DO the RESPONSIBLE thing and now men DO NOT do the responsible thing? Why the change?
Libertarians and social conservatives believe that men are tricked and therefore have no responsibility.

What used to happen was if you got pregnant you rushed off to get married. Instead of an unwanted pregnancy you had unwanted marriages

Don't you think it is responsible to marry a girl after getting her pregnant? Are you saying is that men used to DO the RESPONSIBLE thing and now men DO NOT do the responsible thing? Why the change?
Libertarians and social conservatives believe that men are tricked and therefore have no responsibility.

I can't believe the libertarians pining for the good ole days when girls were chaste and men did the right thing

Kids still had hormones, girls still got pregnant. In the good ole days shame was the best way to handle pregnancy. Shame them enough and other girls will know better. Let them sneak off for an abortion. Let them go away to give birth alone so nobody knows

Otherwise, enter a loveless marriage where neither one of you is ready or willing to raise a family.

Yes...the good ole days

Unwanted pregnancies, abortions and single mothers have increased dramatically since the invention of the birth control pill in the 1960's. It seems that the birth control pill led to unintended negative consequences.

The original intention of the birth control pill was to reduce unwanted pregnancies. In fact, the pill has led to more unwanted pregnancies than ever before in human history. Since the invention of the pill, there are more single mothers, more abortions and more bastard children than ever before in human history.

This is because the birth control pill promised to eliminate the consequences of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in out-of-wedlock-births. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of single mothers and bastard children.

Therefore, it is clear that the advent of the birth control pill ironically led to more unwanted pregnancies and more unwanted children and more abortions.

In the 60's there was no threat from STDs (due to the advent of antibiotics), pregnancy was avoidable with the pill. This led the the notion that there were no negative consequences from pre-marital sex. This led to the increase of pre-marital sex. This led to the social acceptability of pre-marital sex. This led to unwanted pregnancies.

I think the problem with this mentality is that we don't know how many "unwanted" pregnancies there were before the pill, because we really don't know how many illegal abortions were performed.

Clearly, the fact that orphanages have completely vanished says a lot about the fact that unwanted pregnancies became a thing of the past. There are now in fact waiting lists for adoption unless you want to go to a miserable third world country and adopt one of their unwanted kids.

I can't believe the libertarians pining for the good ole days when girls were chaste and men did the right thing

Kids still had hormones, girls still got pregnant. In the good ole days shame was the best way to handle pregnancy. Shame them enough and other girls will know better. Let them sneak off for an abortion. Let them go away to give birth alone so nobody knows

Otherwise, enter a loveless marriage where neither one of you is ready or willing to raise a family.

Yes...the good ole days

There was much less crime and much fewer drop-outs in the "good ole days". The generation that came of age in the 40's is known as "the greatest generation".

The pill has helped change society's attitude toward premarital sex has changed. Now someone who opposes premarital sex is considered a bigot by society, and a criminal by the government.

You oppose premarital sex because you can't get any women to have sex with, so you want everyone else to be miserable with you.:eusa_hand:

I think they want it to be like Saudi Arabia, where people can go to jail For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

You oppose premarital sex because you can't get any women to have sex with, so you want everyone else to be miserable with you.:eusa_hand:

You're saying that married people are miserable. That is a horribly bigoted, hateful and untrue assumption

Thats not even remotely close to what I said.:eusa_hand:

Nope, but that's Scary Gary; he live to twist the truth. Apparently nobody was kind enough to teach him that once you twist the truth? It ceases to be the truth.

Well as we have all seen some people don't have any business having children, if a woman doesn't want it you should respect her decision, its not like we suffer from a population shortage on this planet. We actually have too many people.

Maybe it is really an innate desire of women to have sex, but not to buden themselves with motherhood?

Think about it. Where is our(men) desire to become fathers? Some of us have it, while the others just enjoy the sex act. I don't think women are much different.

Men do NOT have the same desire for parenting as women do. This is why our court system makes efforts to keep mothers and their children together.

I seriously had to trot that last paragraph off to Facebook, so my VERY hands-on nephew could point and laugh. He'll probably thank you for the chuckle.

Yes, and those children were not unwanted. They were wanted, needed and loved by the families that they were born into. Children are a blessing, not a punishment.

Didn't you just say we have more bastard children than ever because of the pill? are those bastards a blessing too, or only if they come from good homes?

Unwanted children often grow up with psychological problems that cause them to quit school, get involved with crime, drugs and produce more bastard children themselves.. Children born within the context of marriage have a much, much greater chance of leading a happy, successful and loving life.

Really? My mom was married, and three out of her four children were unwanted. Did you really think that one cancelled out the other?

Read the above posts. Bastard children are often troubled people and problematic for society.

A troubled blessing?:eusa_eh:

This thread is about reducing "unwanted pregnancies" because unwanted pregnancies are often not a blessing, they are often a big problem. The point of my thread is that the advent of birth control has not reduced "unwanted pregnancies".

Well, I'm sorry, but you can't create an 'eye of the needle' discussion when one could drive an 18-wheeler through the holes in said argument.

Maybe it is really an innate desire of women to have sex, but not to buden themselves with motherhood?

Think about it. Where is our(men) desire to become fathers? Some of us have it, while the others just enjoy the sex act. I don't think women are much different.

Men do NOT have the same desire for parenting as women do. This is why our court system makes efforts to keep mothers and their children together.

I seriously had to trot that last paragraph off to Facebook, so my VERY hands-on nephew could point and laugh. He'll probably thank you for the chuckle.

The desire to be a Mr. Mom is very rare. This is why there are very few male preschool and elementary school teachers. Similarly, the desire for women to be auto mechanics is also very rare. However, there are exceptions.

I DO base my opinions on my personal experience, reason and commonsense. What do you base your opinions on?

This thread is about reducing "unwanted pregnancies" because unwanted pregnancies are often not a blessing, they are often a big problem. The point of my thread is that the advent of birth control has not reduced "unwanted pregnancies".

I get that but you just said having a baby is something every woman should do and children are a blessing, you said theres no such thing as too many people so how can there be such a thing as a "unwanted" pregnancy?:eusa_eh:

Obviously bad kids, criminals, drug addicts and drop-outs are usually not blessings. Children need to be wanted, loved and cared-for in order to be an asset to themselves and the world in which they live. Unwanted pregnancies often lead to children that drain resources instead of producing resources (welfare, prisons, courts, criminal activity, etc).

Exactly. And that's why abortion needs to be part of the equation.

No, getting rid of the pill will not work. That is like closing the barn door after the horse is already gone. The problem is the social acceptance of single mothers and their bastard children. The first thing to do to correct this problem is to stop subsidizing single parents and their bastard children. When you subsidize something, you get more of it.

They really need to get the ball rolling on that male birth control pill, that will help alot.

Won't guys lie about being on the pill just to get laid? If I were a woman, I wouldn't trust the guy. Sometimes we think with our little head.

Then they are idiots who deserve an 18-year prison sentence.

QFT. Except my mom, who married my dad eight days after their little bundle of joy arrived. As I understood (and later repeated myself) "If you can't ask me to marry you without a pregnancy, then I can't be bothered to say yes."

I get that but you just said having a baby is something every woman should do and children are a blessing, you said theres no such thing as too many people so how can there be such a thing as a "unwanted" pregnancy?:eusa_eh:

Obviously bad kids, criminals, drug addicts and drop-outs are usually not blessings. Children need to be wanted, loved and cared-for in order to be an asset to themselves and the world in which they live. Unwanted pregnancies often lead to children that drain resources instead of producing resources (welfare, prisons, courts, criminal activity, etc).

Exactly. And that's why abortion needs to be part of the equation.

Love is the answer, not murder. Pro-lifers prefer to offer love. Pro abortioners prefer to offer death.

That or the girl was whisked off to another state and the baby was given up for adoption.

Don't you believe that putting an unwanted infant up for adoption is a responsible option?

It's an option, no more or less responsible than aborting or keeping.

don't you think it is responsible to marry a girl after getting her pregnant? Are you saying is that men used to do the responsible thing and now men do not do the responsible thing? Why the change?

i saw those forced marriages in the 60's. A loveless marriage is still a loveless marriage.

loveless, how can you make a baby without love? the initial attraction wears off in most all marriages. Most marriages are held together by finances, children, commitment and mutual respect. Love is way down on the list. To quote a famous song: "what's love got to do with it?"

omg. Omg. Omg. Omg.

o_O

omg.

Loveless, how can you make a baby without love? The initial attraction wears off in most all marriages. Finances, children, commitment and mutual respect is what holds most marriages together in the long run. Love is way down on the list. To quote a famous song: "What's Love Got to Do With It?"

How do you make a baby without love? You said it yourself....what's love got to do with it?

The initial attraction is lust not love. And no......love does not wear out as your marriage goes on longer

We will have to agree to disagree on this point.

BB King sang "The Thrill Is Gone". It does happen.

So you get your life experience from songs?

Check out the chorus on this one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc4eYOhNnU8]Ani DiFranco - Untouchable Face - YouTube[/ame]

The desire to be a Mr. Mom is very rare. This is why there are very few male preschool and elementary school teachers. Similarly, the desire for women to be auto mechanics is also very rare. However, there are exceptions.

I DO base my opinions on my personal experience, reason and commonsense. What do you base your opinions on?

No you don't. Too funny, dude. It's like you flew in from another planet and started posting.

Forum List

Back