why has Europe’s oldest permanent settlement (Dominican Republic ) in the Americas turned its back on its African past?

Litwin

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2017
GDL&Sweden
The Dominican Republic was home to the first black people in the Americas. So why has Europe’s oldest permanent settlement (Dominican Republic ) in the Americas turned its back on its African past?

my answer is that Dominican Republic does not want to become Europeans hating Haiti N2, what do you think?
1605730841753.png

1804 Haiti massacre - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › 1804_Haiti_massacre

The 1804 Haiti massacre was carried out against the French population and French Creoles (or Franco-Haitians) remaining in Haiti following the Haitian ...

Did you even READ your own link?

>> The last stop on our Maroon Awareness Tour took us 20 minutes north of Santo Domingo to the town of Villa Mella, an area home to centuries-old brotherhoods formed by enslaved Africans starting in the 16th Century. Their descendants have preserved their ancestors’ drumming traditions and syncretic religions. Among these groups is Los Morenos de Villa Mella.​
A turquoise-coloured wooden house with zinc roofing serves as the church and headquarters of Los Morenos. Entering the structure, I saw a group of three men at the altar, with tall, goat-skin covered drums tucked between their thighs and strapped to their lower waists with a thin rope string. They were surrounded by other community members and welcomed us with a spiritual chant and drumming. The sun was setting and a downpour followed, but the drums, tambourines and call and response overpowered the rain splattering overhead.​
Our group took over the empty floor facing Los Morenos – waists bent, hips shaking and arms moving side to side. I asked Solano about the tall drums that I rarely heard in the city centre.​

p08y4b4v.jpg
The DR still has many communities founded by Africans centuries ago that have​
preserved their ancient musical traditions (Credit: Lebawit Lily Girma)​
>> “That’s the palo or atabales – it’s our original musical expression in the Dominican Republic,” he said. “Merengue became official during the Trujillo era, like an imposition, but the African palo was already present. Palo is our national music.” <<​
Care to explain how that's "turning its back on its African past"?

>> The last stop on our Maroon Awareness Tour took us 20 minutes north of Santo Domingo to the town of Villa Mella, an area home to centuries-old brotherhoods formed by enslaved Africans starting in the 16th Century. Their descendants have preserved their ancestors’ drumming traditions and syncretic religions. Among these groups is Los Morenos de Villa Mella.​
A turquoise-coloured wooden house with zinc roofing serves as the church and headquarters of Los Morenos. Entering the structure, I saw a group of three men at the altar, with tall, goat-skin covered drums tucked between their thighs and strapped to their lower waists with a thin rope string. They were surrounded by other community members and welcomed us with a spiritual chant and drumming. The sun was setting and a downpour followed, but the drums, tambourines and call and response overpowered the rain splattering overhead.​
Our group took over the empty floor facing Los Morenos – waists bent, hips shaking and arms moving side to side. I asked Solano about the tall drums that I rarely heard in the city centre.​

p08y4b4v.jpg

>> “That’s the palo or atabales – it’s our original musical expression in the Dominican Republic,” he said. “Merengue became official during the Trujillo era, like an imposition, but the African palo was already present. Palo is our national music.” <<​
ask BBC about it

p08y4b4v.jpg

ask BBC about it

I don't need to. BBC didn't create this thread. You did.

The Dominican Republic was home to the first black people in the Americas. So why has Europe’s oldest permanent settlement (Dominican Republic ) in the Americas turned its back on its African past?

my answer is that Dominican Republic does not want to become Europeans hating Haiti N2, what do you think?
View attachment 418037

1804 Haiti massacre - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › 1804_Haiti_massacre

The 1804 Haiti massacre was carried out against the French population and French Creoles (or Franco-Haitians) remaining in Haiti following the Haitian ...

An interesting article that reveals how little attention is given to their history as it pertains to slavery. Dominicans seem to prefer to focus on their Spanish heritage. From the article: "Yet, to this day, however, la Zona Colonial, as locals call it, reveals little about its African past. Visitors who flock here leave after learning a single version of the Dominican Republic’s history: that of Spain."

There is a small effort on the part of some Dominicans to acknowledge African ancestry and slavery in the country but their landmarks regarding that history lay in ruins and the country expresses little interest in reviving those sites.

Dominicans and Haitians have been in conflict since the creation of the two countries and continuing to this day. Although both countries share a similar history it is interesting that Dominicans feel that they are very different from Haitians.

p08y4b4v.jpg

ask BBC about it

agreed, i used bbc topic, why D hate the Haitians ?

Although both countries share a similar history it is interesting that Dominicans feel that they are very different from Haitians.
i dont think so , Dominicans did not commit genocide which is still the central part of Haiti identity , Haitians are the worst racists out there, meanwhile Dominicans are the relaxed Caribbeans

" Dominican history textbooks portray Haitians as the “eternal enemies of the Dominican people.”[xxii] Haitians are portrayed as savage, beast-like creatures who exist only to destroy the Hispanic traditions in the Dominican Republic.[xxiii ....
Dominicans of Haitian descent who voluntarily deported themselves after the controversial immigration laws claimed that they were more afraid of aggression from Dominican citizens than from the Dominican government. In the Dominican Republic, hate isn’t restricted to the government or the elites; hate is spewed on the radio, at domino tables, and on the streets. Narratives such as “Haitians eat dirt,” “Haitians are unsanitary,” “Haitians are ungrateful traitors,”

p08y4b4v.jpg

ask BBC about it

agreed, i used bbc topic, why D hate the Haitians ?

I don't think you read your own article, since it doesn't support its title.
And reading the next post I don't think you've ever met a Haitian either.

"Home to the first black people"? D.R. was slave central for the British and Spanish slave trade. Why shouldn't the Dominican Republic become part of the international capitalist society?

Forum List

Back