Why Electronics is the same, whether Consumer or Military: Part I

"Why rdean Threads Are All The Same, Politics Or Not"

Here's yer' typical snooty rdean thread:

rdean: "Here is a concept or idea I know to be true. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong!"

Almost any USMB poster: "Here's proof with links showing why you're wrong and that's wrong".

rdean: "That doesn't prove anything!"

Except they leave out the links. I don't.

:rolleyes:

you betcha!

If China was building all it's electronics with "resisters", I wouldn't bother being worried.

You think they are using transistors?

By the way, the switch and the charge, or the power, are not part of a light bulb.

Please show me where I said the power was part of the bulb.

That is what I get for relying on memory. What you did say was stupid, just not that, exactly. They are not part of the light.

Think of the common household light. It’s made up of basically three parts, the bulb, the switch and “power”.

The focus of the global electronic display industry
is transferred to China by the United States and Europe. The data show that the United States and Europe show the two major electronic CES (Las Vegas International Consumer Electronics Show), CeBIT (Hannover, Germany Expo international information and communication technology) has been shrinking for many years, and in a series of policies to stimulate domestic demand to expand Under the rapid development of China's electronics market, China's Consumer Electronics Show SINOCES (Qingdao, China International Consumer Electronics Show) is increasing for years.

http://news.frbiz.com/global_consumer_electronics-67468.html

China's Electronics Industry is a comprehensive and current report on the technologies, manufacturing capabilities, and infrastructure that have made China a major player in the electronics industry. Not only does it cover the past, present, and future of important electronic technologies, but also the pros and cons of conducting business in China. This is an important reference for any company planning a venture in China as well as those who have already taken their first steps. It will also be of great interest to researchers and policy makers who need to know more about the role of central government in promoting strategic industries and assisting national science and technology development. Much of the data contained in the report is from 2006. No country has burst onto the economic scene as dramatically as China has in the past decade. It is the world's largest producer of many electronic products and has a leading edge semiconductor industry. This timely and comprehensive report from America's leading authority is a critical for anyone who is interested in working with China in the electronics field including business managers, academics, government institutes, foreign investors, as well as those who are interested in the past, present and future growth of China's Electronics Industry. If you are thinking about doing business in china's electronics industry, you must have this book.

China's Electronics Industry - Elsevier

I can't believe you guys are fine with this. It's either tardation or indoctrination. What other explanation could there be?

Last edited by a moderator:
um, it could be, as many have pointed out, that we know the difference between milspec and consumer electronics and that you are clueless.

as a friend of mine would say, that's the fastest horse.

The focus of the global electronic display industry
is transferred to China by the United States and Europe. The data show that the United States and Europe show the two major electronic CES (Las Vegas International Consumer Electronics Show), CeBIT (Hannover, Germany Expo international information and communication technology) has been shrinking for many years, and in a series of policies to stimulate domestic demand to expand Under the rapid development of China's electronics market, China's Consumer Electronics Show SINOCES (Qingdao, China International Consumer Electronics Show) is increasing for years.

Global Consumer Electronics Show: the focus is gradually moving to Chi

China's Electronics Industry is a comprehensive and current report on the technologies, manufacturing capabilities, and infrastructure that have made China a major player in the electronics industry. Not only does it cover the past, present, and future of important electronic technologies, but also the pros and cons of conducting business in China. This is an important reference for any company planning a venture in China as well as those who have already taken their first steps. It will also be of great interest to researchers and policy makers who need to know more about the role of central government in promoting strategic industries and assisting national science and technology development. Much of the data contained in the report is from 2006. No country has burst onto the economic scene as dramatically as China has in the past decade. It is the world's largest producer of many electronic products and has a leading edge semiconductor industry. This timely and comprehensive report from America's leading authority is a critical for anyone who is interested in working with China in the electronics field including business managers, academics, government institutes, foreign investors, as well as those who are interested in the past, present and future growth of China's Electronics Industry. If you are thinking about doing business in china's electronics industry, you must have this book.

China's Electronics Industry - Elsevier

I can't believe you guys are fine with this. It's either tardation or indoctrination. What other explanation could there be?

Maybe it is education and experience. Why do you want everyone in China to starve?

um, it could be, as many have pointed out, that we know the difference between milspec and consumer electronics and that you are clueless.

Could it be that simple?

Milspec electronic components must meet extra vibration, thermal, etc specs that are not required for consumer grade specs.

Also many milspec components are supposed to be "hardened" against EMP and such.
Not sure how they do that but it is there.

As was stated a transistor is a transistor, however it's toughness and capacity might be different.

A cell is a cell, so why did my last wife not look like a 10?

Last edited:
This is an Rdean thread
It needs these things to be complete
90% of Republicans are White
6% of Scientists are Republicans
consistency.jpg

I designed electronic equipment in 70's and 80's. We used some of the same circuit board designs we used in the F15 avionics packages in commercial aircrafts. We used commercial parts instead of mil parts and cut out a lot of documentation, then sold the stuff at about 20% of the government price to commercial aircraft builders.

There a big difference in some of the really sophisticate military stuff. They use some highly specialized chips that are tailored to the particular piece of equipment in order to reduce the size and increase the speed of operation. Usually this type equipment is classified and is controlled pretty tightly.

Milspec electronic components must meet extra vibration, thermal, etc specs that are not required for consumer grade specs.

Also many milspec components are supposed to be "hardened" against EMP and such.

As was stated a transistor is a transistor, however it's toughness and capacity might be different.

There is nothing special about mil parts. About 90% or more of the parts used in military equipment are mil parts. There are mil part numbers for nuts and bolts. Would you believe there are mil part numbers for Crucifixes. Some mil parts are designed to meet extremed environmental conditions but most are not. The only thing you can say for sure about mil parts is that they cost more commercial parts. A lot of military equipment today is build with commercial parts.

There is nothing special about mil parts. About 90% or more of the parts used in military equipment are mil parts. There are mil part numbers for nuts and bolts. Would you believe there are mil part numbers for Crucifixes. Some mil parts are designed to meet extremed environmental conditions but most are not. The only thing you can say for sure about mil parts is that they cost more commercial parts. A lot of military equipment today is build with commercial parts.

Look at any spec manual for semiconductors and check out the descriptions for suffix and the specs.
Mil spec chips used to be in a ceramic package while commercial was in plastic.
Not sure about the current packages though.

And yes probably lots more commercial grade components used in mil hardware now.

I designed electronic equipment in 70's and 80's. We used some of the same circuit board designs we used in the F15 avionics packages in commercial aircrafts. We used commercial parts instead of mil parts and cut out a lot of documentation, then sold the stuff at about 20% of the government price to commercial aircraft builders.

There a big difference in some of the really sophisticate military stuff. They use some highly specialized chips that are tailored to the particular piece of equipment in order to reduce the size and increase the speed of operation. Usually this type equipment is classified and is controlled pretty tightly.

:clap2:

Look at any spec manual for semiconductors and check out the descriptions for suffix and the specs.
Mil spec chips used to be in a ceramic package while commercial was in plastic.
Not sure about the current packages though.

And yes probably lots more commercial grade components used in mil hardware now.
FYI
Many if not most parts that go into military equipment are exactly the same as the commercial part. The part manufacturer just get's the part qualified usually by putting it through environmental testing so a mil number can be assigned. Years ago the military had to order mil replacement parts which cost more and often took longer to get than commercial parts. Then they got smarter and required the equipment manufacturer to list both the commercial and mil part number in manuals. However much equipment which is flight qualified has no commercial equivalents. These parts have been designed and tested for special conditions.

Explain the difference.

I already pointed this out. Components may have a ceramic mounting or surface mounted components may have epoxy covering them or a casing may be steel instead of plastic, but these things are simple mechanical solutions, nothing to do with the electronics and certainly nothing that is classified.

Teach China how to make what we used to make and we will have no secrets they can't "figure out".

Ohh I agree China is going to eat our lunch on innovation, etc.

However the specs for mil hardware are more demanding. More reliability and stability is built in.
That ceramic pack costs a lot more than placstic, however it dissipates heat better and can provide em sheilding for the internal working of the chip.

I have had to go to a few mil spec parts in some harsh environment applications in the past.

Forum List

Back