Why Electronics is the same, whether Consumer or Military: Part I

R

rdean

While discussing the dangers of moving electronic manufacturing to China, it became apparent that some have a misconception about the application of electronics in consumer products verses a military application.

The misconception is that electronics used in PC’s, TV’s, iPods and other devices is different than electronics used in missile defense, radar, sonar, and other military applications.

Before we get into such a debate, it’s important that we understand what it is that’s being debated.

Let’s start off with the most basic component used in electronic devices, a “transistor”.

A transistor is made up of three parts, collector, base and emitter.

p-n-p-symbol.gif

Think of the common household light. It’s made up of basically three parts, the bulb, the switch and “power”.

Imagine the collector as the “power”, the base as the “switch” and the emitter as the “bulb”.

When the base is “biased”, the transistor conducts. In other words, a tiny bit of power is added to the base, this “turns on” the transistor and power runs from the collector to the emitter. If there were a “lamp” there, it would “turn on”.

Take the power away from the base, and the “lamp” turns off.

Think of “off” as a zero and “on” as a one.

This is important because a microprocessor is actually a “calculator”.

In Part II, we are going to look at using “on/off” for doing math using an “on/off” (or digital) based calculator. We’ll begin with the meaning of “base 10, base 5 and base 2”.

Once we understand how electronics actually works, we begin to see why electronics used in consumer products is the same as electronics used by the military. The only real difference is the way it’s configured and programmed, but if you can make it, that part is easy to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now light bulbs and cruise missiles are the same because they use electricity?

You might want to stop digging at some point because this is now the 4th thread where you're trying to equate X-boxes with the F-22 Raptor or a cruise missile

So now light bulbs and cruise missiles are the same because they use electricity?

You might want to stop digging at some point because this is now the 4th thread where you're trying to equate X-boxes with the F-22 Raptor or a cruise missile

I never brought up cruise missile or F-22 Raptors. You did. Do you always lie? Is it just part of your charactor?

Or,

Are you just afraid of learning something?

Mil Apps
A typical robotic manufacture and assembly of electronics and semiconductors includes devices for military use. Small articulated robots classified to work safely in an explosive environment can be used to assemble charges for mining and drilling as well as decommissioning bombs. Blanchette adds that “Military and defense electronics are encapsulated for better shock and thermal protection, but the production process is essentially the same.”

The production process of military and consumer electronics was not always the same, recalls LaSelle. “In the mid-1990s, the 30,000 specifications unique to military products were thrown out by the Department Of Defense (DOD). Rather than unique military specifications, DOD enacted more commercial, off-the-shelf approach, in an attempt to bridge the need for the military to get access to innovation and technological development.”

Offshore
Much electronics and semiconductor manufacturing has moved to China in an effort to tap into the large pool of inexpensive labor. That pool shows signs of drying up, says LaSelle. “Flextronics recently approved a 27% wage increase, while other labor groups that support the Ford Motor Company just received a 57% wage increase. Low wages was one of the reasons electronics and semiconductor companies moved to China.” LaSelle notes that “Robot manufacturers are getting inundated with requests from companies such as Flextronics and their competitors, who believe that robotics are now more cost justifiable.”

Robotics Featured Articles -Robotic Industries Association - Robotics Online

Why not? X-boxes have more power than the computers that took us to the moon.

While discussing the dangers of moving electronic manufacturing to China, it became apparent that some have a misconception about the application of electronics in consumer products verses a military application.

The misconception is that electronics used in PC’s, TV’s, iPods and other devices is different than electronics used in missile defense, radar, sonar, and other military applications.

Before we get into such a debate, it’s important that we understand what it is that’s being debated.

Let’s start off with the most basic component used in electronic devices, a “transistor”.

p-n-p-symbol.gif

Think of the common household light. It’s made up of basically three parts, the bulb, the switch and “power”.

Imagine the collector as the “power”, the base as the “switch” and the emitter as the “bulb”.

When the base is “biased”, the transistor conducts. In other words, a tiny bit of power is added to the base, this “turns on” the transistor and power runs from the collector to the emitter. If there were a “lamp” there, it would “turn on”.

In Part II, we are going to look at using “on/off” for doing math using an “on/off” (or digital) based calculator. We’ll begin with the meaning of “base 10, base 5 and base 2”.

Once we understand how electronics actually works, we begin to see why electronics used in consumer products is the same as electronics used by the military. The only real difference is the way it’s configured and programmed, but if you can make it, that part is easy to figure out.

The most basic electronic component is not a transistor, it is a resistor. Transistors are actually semi-conductors, and are usually etched directly onto chips. Anything that can be built with semiconductors can be built without one, they just make circuits faster, smaller, and more energy efficient.

Why should anyone pay any attention to you if the very first thing you say shows you have no idea what you are talking about? Do you actually get off on starting threads that demonstrate your massive ignorance? Before you go further and demonstrate how abysmal your liberal education is I would suggest you learn about Boolean Algebra, it might prevent you from making more ridiculous analogies.

By the way, the switch and the charge, or the power, are not part of a light bulb. They are, however, part of a circuit.

Does that mean that NASA could put Xboxes in the new Ares? Or are you intelligent enough to know that it requires more computational power than you can get from an Xbox, unlike rdean?

p-n-p-symbol.gif

LOL you don't know shit you couldn't be more wrong,sure the basic principals are the same
the manufacturing and R&D are miles apart.

Does that mean that NASA could put Xboxes in the new Ares? Or are you intelligent enough to know that it requires more computational power than you can get from an Xbox, unlike rdean?

I meant exactly what I said. Are you intelligent enough to know that putting words in other people's mouths, just makes you look foolish? I was making a true statement. Your reply was, at best, irrelevant.

I meant exactly what I said. Are you intelligent enough to know that putting words in other people's mouths, just makes you look foolish? I was making a true statement. Your reply was, at best, irrelevant.

I am not putting words into anyone's mouth, I am mocking the words that you typed.

More power is a relative term, An Xbox cannot run XP without modifications to its hardware, so it is not all that powerful a machine in that sense. Those old computers were slow, but they could more than handle the tasks assigned to them, and speed is not the only criteria to judge a computer by.

p-n-p-symbol.gif

The most basic electronic component is not a transistor, it is a resistor. Transistors are actually semi-conductors, and are usually etched directly onto chips. Anything that can be built with semiconductors can be built without one, they just make circuits faster, smaller, and more energy efficient.

Why should anyone pay any attention to you if the very first thing you say shows you have no idea what you are talking about? Do you actually get off on starting threads that demonstrate your massive ignorance? Before you go further and demonstrate how abysmal your liberal education is I would suggest you learn about Boolean Algebra, it might prevent you from making more ridiculous analogies.

By the way, the switch and the charge, or the power, are not part of a light bulb. They are, however, part of a circuit.

If China was building all it's electronics with "resisters", I wouldn't bother being worried.

By the way, the switch and the charge, or the power, are not part of a light bulb.

Please show me where I said the power was part of the bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Why rdean Threads Are All The Same, Politics Or Not"

Here's yer' typical snooty rdean thread:

rdean: "Here is a concept or idea I know to be true. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong!"

Almost any USMB poster: "Here's proof with links showing why you're wrong and that's wrong".

rdean: "That doesn't prove anything!"

I've got a Xbox, a light bulb, some duct tape, a penny, and a pencil.

Watch as I make a cruise missile

mcgyver.jpg

If China was building all it's electronics with "resisters", I wouldn't bother being worried.

You think they are using transistors?

By the way, the switch and the charge, or the power, are not part of a light bulb.

Please show me where I said the power was part of the bulb.

That is what I get for relying on memory. What you did say was stupid, just not that, exactly. They are not part of the light.

p-n-p-symbol.gif

Umm chips come in Milspec and conspmper specs.
Not the same chips.

"Why rdean Threads Are All The Same, Politics Or Not"

Here's yer' typical snooty rdean thread:

rdean: "Here is a concept or idea I know to be true. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong!"

Almost any USMB poster: "Here's proof with links showing why you're wrong and that's wrong".

rdean: "That doesn't prove anything!"

Except they leave out the links. I don't.

Forum List

Back