Why does the debt matter so much to Repubs?

The debt matters because the more debt we are in, the more we are sacrificing future labor in order to get services now. And the services we are getting are not usually worth it. And the labor we are sacrificing isnt necessarily are own. It's our childrens and our grandchildrens.

In other words, we are selling our posterity into slavery for what we want and refuse to do for ourselves. How can a people be free if they can't labor for what they want?

On top of that, we are devaluing our currency. The more money we spend, when we don't have it. the less our currency is worth. What does it matter if we are making millions more if those millions can only buy the equivalent of a dollars worth in goods today?

If we want to build weath, we need to save, not spend. We need to lighten the burden on the taxpayers and pay our debts.

It's possible that sovereignty might be at stake?

Not important, I know. Right?

LOL , ya china will foreclose on us ,

you mite look at the state of the world . what happens in one country goes through them all , like this last financial crash .
we're all depended on each other now .

The Outstanding Public Debt as of 11 Apr 2011 at 04:20:26 PM GMT is: 14.2 trillion.

The estimated population of the United States is 310,367,743
so each citizen's share of this debt is $46,008.71.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$4.08 billion per day since September 28, 2007!

--- "Deficit" vs. "Debt"---

Suppose you spend more money this month than your income. This situation is called a "budget deficit". So you borrow (ie; use your credit card). The amount you borrowed (and now owe) is called your debt. You have to pay interest on your debt. If next month you spend more than your income, another deficit, you must borrow some more, and you'll still have to pay the interest on your debt (now larger). If you have a deficit every month, you keep borrowing and your debt grows. Soon the interest payment on your loan is bigger than any other item in your budget. Eventually, all you can do is pay the interest payment, and you don't have any money left over for anything else. This situation is known as bankruptcy.Each year since 1969, Congress has spent more money than its income. The Treasury Department has to borrow money to meet Congress's appropriations. Here is historical deficits chart.

Federal Budget Spending and the National Debt

If the deficit is any amount more than ZERO, we have to borrow more and the debt grows; and we have to pay interest* on that huge, growing debt. That interest payment cuts into our budget big time.

The debt matters because the more debt we are in, the more we are sacrificing future labor in order to get services now. And the services we are getting are not usually worth it. And the labor we are sacrificing isnt necessarily are own. It's our childrens and our grandchildrens.

In other words, we are selling our posterity into slavery for what we want and refuse to do for ourselves. How can a people be free if they can't labor for what they want?

On top of that, we are devaluing our currency. The more money we spend, when we don't have it. the less our currency is worth. What does it matter if we are making millions more if those millions can only buy the equivalent of a dollars worth in goods today?

If we want to build weath, we need to save, not spend. We need to lighten the burden on the taxpayers and pay our debts.

Thank you for this post. It is helpful. I'm going to think about it.

You are consistent, I'll give you that. You speak of "you and yours" which is your attempt to put me in the camp of the Democrats. Wrong. I'd be willing to bet that most liberals on this board consider me a Conservative which is also wrong. But in any case, you're going to derail the thread anyway so I'll just respond to your point. Bush had a deficit 2-1/2 years ago which was bad. (Recall the deficit spending under Bush and a Republican-controlled Congress. Please keep that in mind.) Now the deficits we have that were created by Democrats are also bad. So to sum it up: deficit spending is bad. Got it?

You're also consistent in your idiotic claim that Democrats criticizing Republicans for not caring about deficits is bad when they aren't in power when they do the exact same thing. Credibility has everything to do with the conversation and they have none. I talk about the credibility of the accusers and you do post after post that it's off topic. And yet I hear silence from you in thread after thread of posts with nothing to do with the topic at all. Maybe you dislike the accusation of hypocrisy because it's too close to double standard, yours...

Voters have been telling the Feds in both political parties to start becoming physically responsible since the 90's. Washington refused to listen in both parties.
Voters were angry with the Dem's so they voted Repub (contract with America) Repubs went right back to same ol same ol so Dems were voted back in Dems did the same ol same ol so repubs were voted back in.
Neither party was listening to the voters only to lobbyists and special interests, paybacks to supporters so on and so forth.
The Voters have voted in 85 new house members, if they don't do what the voice of the voters want, you are going to start seeing other parties rise up.
The voters of this nation want a government that represents them again. Washington has forgotten that we the people hire them, pay their salaries and we fire them. Washington needs to become smaller and more efficient.

The Outstanding Public Debt as of 11 Apr 2011 at 04:20:26 PM GMT is: 14.2 trillion.

The estimated population of the United States is 310,367,743
so each citizen's share of this debt is $46,008.71.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$4.08 billion per day since September 28, 2007!

--- "Deficit" vs. "Debt"---

Suppose you spend more money this month than your income. This situation is called a "budget deficit". So you borrow (ie; use your credit card). The amount you borrowed (and now owe) is called your debt. You have to pay interest on your debt. If next month you spend more than your income, another deficit, you must borrow some more, and you'll still have to pay the interest on your debt (now larger). If you have a deficit every month, you keep borrowing and your debt grows. Soon the interest payment on your loan is bigger than any other item in your budget. Eventually, all you can do is pay the interest payment, and you don't have any money left over for anything else. This situation is known as bankruptcy.Each year since 1969, Congress has spent more money than its income. The Treasury Department has to borrow money to meet Congress's appropriations. Here is historical deficits chart.

If the deficit is any amount more than ZERO, we have to borrow more and the debt grows; and we have to pay interest* on that huge, growing debt. That interest payment cuts into our budget big time.

This post is also very helpful. Thank you!

you are so full of shit , we gave away those jobs , remember when bush announces we are no longer a manufacturing county , but will be into a service ,

the government gave large tax breaks to companies that shipped their manufacturing over seas .

that was in the 80s
in the 90s we had a lot of work under guess who ? and no American would do dirty or hard work , like farm hand during harvest ,

you are so full of shit , we gave away those jobs , remember when bush announces we are no longer a manufacturing county , but will be into a service ,

the government gave large tax breaks to companies that shipped their manufacturing over seas .

that was in the 80s
in the 90s we had a lot of work under guess who ? and no American would do dirty or hard work , like farm hand during harvest ,

It's not only manufacturing jobs. Virtually any job that can be done with a computer and a desk can be done far cheaper overseas.

My advice, be a plumber.

that was in the 80s

It's not only manufacturing jobs. Virtually any job that can be done with a computer and a desk can be done far cheaper overseas.

My advice, be a plumber.

and thats who's fault ?

kids are smarter overseas .
you except this , we invent other country take it are run with it , like solar power windmills ,

Fundamentally I think I see things the way they are. If I don't have the money I can't buy anything. Congress think we can just borrow our way into prosperity, well how is that working for you. Has anyone noticed that congress hasn't offered to cut back, perhaps their staff of their relative working on the gov't payroll at a job they are qualified for. Perhaps get smaller offices with smaller staffs that won't take your phone calls anyway. I have just reached retirement age, my health care is in jeopardy and who knows what will happen to SS. I didn't save enough, my fault entirely, but what I paid into for retirement is being screwed with by people who don't GAS.

that was in the 80s

I never mentioned anything about jobs in my post.

f you make $50,000/year and $10,000 of that goes to debt servicing.. you wouldn't be worried?

Again, WHERE were you when Bush lied us into the trillion dollar nightmare that is Iraq - that we anti-war types were screaming so vehemently against (and rightly so)? We heard NO arguments - not a sound whatsoever but from the right; only saber rattling and people making tasteless Iraqi jokes. Seriously. We heard NOTHING from the right about concern for the deficit... NOT AN EFFING PEEP during the whole Bush debacle, and then suddenly in 2009... OMG THE DEFICIT! HOLY SHIT!!! I really do wish someone would be brave enough (or honest) enough to answer this question...

Last edited:
f you make $50,000/year and $10,000 of that goes to debt servicing.. you wouldn't be worried?

Again, WHERE were you when Bush lied us into the trillion dollar nightmare that is Iraq - that we anti-war types were screaming so vehemently against (and rightly so)? We heard NO arguments - not a sound whatsoever but from the right; only saber rattling and people making tasteless Iraqi jokes. Seriously. We heard NOTHING from the right about concern for the deficit... NOT AN EFFING PEEP during the whole Bush debacle, and then suddenly in 2009... OMG THE DEFICIT! HOLY SHIT!!! I really do wish someone would be brave enough (or honest) enough to answer this question...

Nightmare? In what way has Iraq been a nightmare?

If you weren't hearing the right showing concern for the deficit, then you weren't listening.

Are you SERIOUS??? Um, in every way? Can you imagine how much better off this country would be, financially and anti-terror-wise had Bush never gone into Iraq (which may have been the worst mistake this country ever made). Take a minute and ponder this... I'll wait.

Last edited:
If you weren't hearing the right showing concern for the deficit, then you weren't listening.

Nope, nothing. I do remember being called a "surrender monkey" and a "terrorist sympathizer" - which was especially rich, considering there were NO TERRORISTS IN IRAQ UNTIL WE STARTED OUR LITTLE WAR FOR MIC $$$. Nope, I do not remenber one PEEP about the deficit issue.

Republicans only pretend to care about debt when they don't have the presidency and Congress.

Did they pay for the Iraq war when they started it? No.

Did they pay for their tax cuts when they passed them? No.

Did they pay for Medicare part D when they passed it? No.

Holy crap. I apologize for grossly underestimating your ignorance.

Don't need to apologize for what's not true.

I am merely expecting those who make claims to back up their assertions. I'll presume that I'm not likely to get anything backing up the claim just more insults.

Are you SERIOUS??? Um, in every way? Can you imagine how much better off this country would be, financially and anti-terror-wise had Bush never gone into Iraq (which may have been the worst mistake this country ever made). Take a minute and ponder this... I'll wait.

So you really have no intention on backing up anything, you just are using a word to stir up emotional support for your position.

Forum List

Back