Why does the Amtrak train still look like a 1950's body style design ?

beagle9

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2011
Looking at the news about the latest crash of an Amtrak train, and I couldn't help thinking about how old that train looks in design. How about the high ground clearance for one thing I noticed? I mean come on America... Wow. Where is our sleek modern day safer designed trains already ? My condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims who died, and for the hurt people that were involved also in the crash. What a sad situation as always when see these sorts of reports.

I remember watching an American film of a Russian documentory about their trains, and how outdated they were in that nation. Well we better hide the Amtrak is all I can say, because they would laugh themselves to death if they see that thing in response to us laughing at them.

Looking at the news about the latest crash of an Amtrak train, and I couldn't help thinking about how old that train looks in design. How about the high ground clearance for one thing I noticed? I mean come on America... Wow. Where is our sleek modern day safer designed trains already ? My condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims who died, and for the hurt people that were involved also in the crash. What a sad situation as always when see these sorts of reports.

A couple of things. First Amtrak runs on corporately owned track, not it's own. So who is going to clear the debris as a lower ground clearance would require?

Secondly, there is the matter of budget. There isn't much sympathy for Amtrak in Congress.

Liberals love trains because it allows government to control where people go and when, and it allows politicians to get rich on graft and corruption.

The Right won't allow modern high speed rail.
There's nothing "modern" about trains when we already have interstate highways and airplanes. Governor Brown will drain California's treasury for a train that is not needed when California really needs is water.

There's nothing "modern" about trains when we already have interstate highways and airplanes. Governor Brown will drain California's treasury for a train that is not needed when California really needs is water.
Obviously, you've never been on a modern high speed train like ones used in Europe, China, and Japan.

Obviously, you've never been on a modern high speed train like ones used in Europe, China, and Japan.
So that's the reason you want high speed trains? So we can be more like other countries? That seems to be the Democrat's argument for everything they desire.

So that's the reason you want high speed trains? So we can be more like other countries? That seems to be the Democrat's argument for everything they desire.
And you want to live in the past, right?
640px-High_Speed_Railroad_Map_of_Europe_2015.svg.png

TGV Map of All the lines
tgv-stations-map.jpg

Last edited:

TGV Map of All the lines
tgv-stations-map.jpg

You take a choo choo train from New York to Los Angles I would rather fly a jet.

I will see you in a few days.

TGV Map of All the lines
tgv-stations-map.jpg

You take a choo choo train from New York to Los Angles I would rather fly a jet.

You'd have that choice.

. And what is the Republicans argument ? To look like the 40's as a nation, but hidden up in the bushes are mansions well hidden and unseen ? I remember when schools still needed to be updated, and how this nation lagged behind badly in that situation also. With the abundance of natural resources this nation has, actually there is no excuse for it all... The roadways are the same, where as corruption has taken precedent over doing the right thing in that sector as well. How about our infrastructure on whole ? Pathetic.

Last edited:

TGV Map of All the lines
tgv-stations-map.jpg

. Should be all in preference there of, and some people don't have to be in a hurry as much as others are, so they may enjoy what ever form of transportation they choose to use in life.

Last edited:
. Nah just more up to speed is all... Literally..

TGV Map of All the lines
tgv-stations-map.jpg

. Should be all in preference there of, and some people don't have to be in the hurry as much as others are, so they may enjoy what ever form of transportation they choose to use in life.

Well go ahead and take a choo choo train or greyhound for all I care, don't try to sucker in the tax payers paying for a useless train at 62 million bucks a mile that no one will use.

Only idiot liberals can come up with a reason to build high-speed rail that will never make money and just suck tax dollars right out of your wallet.
. You sure it won't make money ? How do you know ? If it is fast and sleek enough, you would ride it out of curiosity now wouldn't you ? I know I would.

TGV Map of All the lines
tgv-stations-map.jpg

. Should be all in preference there of, and some people don't have to be in the hurry as much as others are, so they may enjoy what ever form of transportation they choose to use in life.

Well go ahead and take a choo choo train or greyhound for all I care, don't try to sucker in the tax payers paying for a useless train at 62 million bucks a mile that no one will use.
Who said anything about suckering people ? There might be millions who would surprise you as to what they will donate too in order to modernize sectors of this nations infrastructure. Don't count them out, unless you feel your going to be asked to carry the weight of it all with a statement like that. This nation could do wonders if it wanted to, but for some reason it acts like it just can't when actually it can.

Forum List

Back