Why does Obama call ISIS, ISIL?

Whoever they are---how are they an immediate threat to the US anymore than Iraq was ?
They aren't. They are a threat to the regions they occupy.

Then how can Obama legally use the US military against them ?
We have a small obligation to Iraq for fucking their country up.

Syria, Russia and Iran feel differently. They say it's a violation of international law.
Well...if Putin, Syria, and Iran say something it must be true. :rolleyes:

I think the only question is if Obama intends to try to depose Assad at the same time as he deals with IS. His last attempt at threatening Assad didn't turn out so well.

It's code, designed to be understood by terrorists which is a word he won't use.

And the term 'Levant' blots out the existence of Israel.
How so?

Rather than use the acronym ISIS, the anti-Israel President makes certain that he uses ISIL.

"The whole acronym debate comes because we’re trying represent what is really an Arabic set of terms,” said Mark Berkson, a professor of religion at Hamline University.

The Arabic term is Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham. Al-Dawla means state, Al-Islamiya means Islamic and al-Iraq means Iraq.

“The question is: What is that last part? What does al-Sham stand for?” Berkson said.

The ISIS camp thinks it’s Syria or greater Syria while the ISIL camp says it refers to the Levant, a larger geographic area that includes Syria, Israel, the Palestinian territories, Jordan and into parts of Turkey.

Early on, ISIS was the preferred term, but as the group has widened its threat, some have argued ISIL is a better representation of the terrorist group’s aspirations to take over the entire Muslim world."
Good Question Is It ISIS ISIL Or The Islamic State CBS Minnesota

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia:
Levant

Historical name for the countries along the shores of the eastern Mediterranean Sea. It was applied to the coastlands of Anatolia and Syria, sometimes extending from Greece to Egypt. The term was often associated with Venetian trading ventures. It was also used as a synonym for the Middle or Near East. In the 16th17th centuries the term High Levant referred to the Far East (East Asia). The name Levant States was given to the French mandate of Syria and Lebanon after World War I (191418).
Levant Definition from Answers.com

As this President has no affinity for Israel....such as he clearly does for the Muslim Brotherhood and its associations, he prefers the term which obviates Israel.

Of course Obama has no affinity for Israel...it's the only democracy in the region. President "It's So Hard Not To Be King" has much more empathy with totalitarians.

I think the only question is if Obama intends to try to depose Assad at the same time as he deals with IS. His last attempt at threatening Assad didn't turn out so well.

It's code, designed to be understood by terrorists which is a word he won't use.

How so?

Rather than use the acronym ISIS, the anti-Israel President makes certain that he uses ISIL.

"The whole acronym debate comes because we’re trying represent what is really an Arabic set of terms,” said Mark Berkson, a professor of religion at Hamline University.

The Arabic term is Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham. Al-Dawla means state, Al-Islamiya means Islamic and al-Iraq means Iraq.

“The question is: What is that last part? What does al-Sham stand for?” Berkson said.

The ISIS camp thinks it’s Syria or greater Syria while the ISIL camp says it refers to the Levant, a larger geographic area that includes Syria, Israel, the Palestinian territories, Jordan and into parts of Turkey.

Early on, ISIS was the preferred term, but as the group has widened its threat, some have argued ISIL is a better representation of the terrorist group’s aspirations to take over the entire Muslim world."

Levant

Historical name for the countries along the shores of the eastern Mediterranean Sea. It was applied to the coastlands of Anatolia and Syria, sometimes extending from Greece to Egypt. The term was often associated with Venetian trading ventures. It was also used as a synonym for the Middle or Near East. In the 16th17th centuries the term High Levant referred to the Far East (East Asia). The name Levant States was given to the French mandate of Syria and Lebanon after World War I (191418).

As this President has no affinity for Israel....such as he clearly does for the Muslim Brotherhood and its associations, he prefers the term which obviates Israel.
Israel is part of Levant so I don't get your point.

How so?

Levant

Israel existed in the 16th and 17th centuries?

Who knew?

How so?

Levant

Israel existed in the 16th and 17th centuries?

Who knew?
Yes, the Land of Israel has been around since biblical times. Check out the OT.

And

The Levant is a geographical term that refers to a large area in Southwest Asia, south of theTaurus Mountains, bounded by theMediterranean Sea in the west, the Arabian Desert in the south, and Mesopotamia in the east. It stretches 400 miles north to south from the Taurus Mountains to the Sinai desert, and 70 to 100 miles east to west between the sea and the Arabian desert.[1] The term is also sometimes used to refer to modern events or states in the region immediately bordering the eastern Mediterranean Sea: Cyprus,Palestinian territories, Jordan, Israel, Lebanon, and Syria.

Wikipedia is your friend.

Which is a big reason ISL* must be destroyed.

*I will choose any term I wish, the monsters do not control me.

Absolutely----Its always been about Israel. It's a continuation of the neocon plan that began with Iraq and Afghanistan.
It's not all about Israel and in fact has nothing to do with Israel at this point. Rather it has to deal with the US not wanting a Taliban like jingoistic reign ruling in Iraq.

Absolutely----Its always been about Israel. It's a continuation of the neocon plan that began with Iraq and Afghanistan.
It's not all about Israel and in fact has nothing to do with Israel at this point. Rather it has to deal with the US not wanting a Taliban like jingoistic reign ruling in Iraq.

Looks like we going to take out Assad in the process. Maybe Lebanon too----Israel would like that.

national security analyst Peter Bergen believes ISIL is a more accurate translation of the group's name.
The 'L' stands for Levant which is a translation of "al-Sham" -- the word the group uses to refer to itself, Bergen said.
"But the Levant is a relatively obscure word in English -- in English, we refer to Syria. Of course, the Levant is larger than Syria," Bergen said.
"We believe this is the most accurate translation of the group's name and reflects its aspirations to rule over a broad swath of the Middle East," said John Daniszewski, vice president and senior managing editor for international news for The Associated Press, according to an AP blog post.

I don't see the outrage of the Prez calling it ISIL. The right seems to say by him saying ISIL he is attacking Israel. If the Prez is saying that we need to act becaue Levant includes Israel and we need to protect her, then that see pro, not anti, Israe.

Looks like we going to take out Assad in the process. Maybe Lebanon too----Israel would like that.

"....it can be argued that a Sunni Syrian state will be more of a threat to Israel than Bashar Assad’s Alawite (Shia) regime. Sure, there has been decades of conflict between Syria and Israel. However, if the jihadists gain power in Syria (or even if they only have control of large parts of the country), worse will follow."
Read more at Syrian rebel forces call for Israel s help by Paul Austin Murphy

using ISL is looking at the broader picture of the problem at hand .... something RW's aren't capable of doing ... simpletons ya know.

"....it can be argued that a Sunni Syrian state will be more of a threat to Israel than Bashar Assad’s Alawite (Shia) regime. Sure, there has been decades of conflict between Syria and Israel. However, if the jihadists gain power in Syria (or even if they only have control of large parts of the country), worse will follow."
Read more at Syrian rebel forces call for Israel s help by Paul Austin Murphy

Obama's plan ( the same old clean break plan written for Netanyahu) is to destroy IS AND arm the Syrian rebels to take out Assad. How could Israel ask for more ?

Lay it on us-----what's the broader picture ?

in English, we refer to Syria. Of course, the Levant is larger than Syria," Bergen said.
"We believe this is the most accurate translation of the group's name and reflects its aspirations to rule over a broad swath of the Middle East

what part of "broader swath" escapes you?

Does it matter what ISIS calls themselves or even what their plan is ? It's not going to happen. They're doomed as is Assad and probably Lebanon. Any thought of them taking Israel is ludicrous. Do you see Israel quaking in it's boots ?

Does it matter what ISIS calls themselves or even what their plan is ? It's not going to happen. They're doomed as is Assad and probably Lebanon. Any thought of them taking Israel is ludicrous. Do you see Israel quaking in it's boots ?

IMO, yes.

the world deserves to know ISIS has designs on more sand and dirt than Syria and Iraq

I think it's pretty clear to everyone when they claim they are the new caliphate that they intend to take anything in their path. They've already threatened Russia and America. They're doomed. Watch as they are choked off and scattered.

Forum List

Back