Why does Obama call ISIS, ISIL?

I think the only question is if Obama intends to try to depose Assad at the same time as he deals with IS. His last attempt at threatening Assad didn't turn out so well.

It's code, designed to be understood by terrorists which is a word he won't use.

And the term 'Levant' blots out the existence of Israel.
How so?

Rather than use the acronym ISIS, the anti-Israel President makes certain that he uses ISIL.

"The whole acronym debate comes because we’re trying represent what is really an Arabic set of terms,” said Mark Berkson, a professor of religion at Hamline University.

The Arabic term is Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham. Al-Dawla means state, Al-Islamiya means Islamic and al-Iraq means Iraq.

“The question is: What is that last part? What does al-Sham stand for?” Berkson said.

The ISIS camp thinks it’s Syria or greater Syria while the ISIL camp says it refers to the Levant, a larger geographic area that includes Syria, Israel, the Palestinian territories, Jordan and into parts of Turkey.

Early on, ISIS was the preferred term, but as the group has widened its threat, some have argued ISIL is a better representation of the terrorist group’s aspirations to take over the entire Muslim world."
Good Question Is It ISIS ISIL Or The Islamic State CBS Minnesota

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia:
Levant

Historical name for the countries along the shores of the eastern Mediterranean Sea. It was applied to the coastlands of Anatolia and Syria, sometimes extending from Greece to Egypt. The term was often associated with Venetian trading ventures. It was also used as a synonym for the Middle or Near East. In the 16th17th centuries the term High Levant referred to the Far East (East Asia). The name Levant States was given to the French mandate of Syria and Lebanon after World War I (191418).
Levant Definition from Answers.com

As this President has no affinity for Israel....such as he clearly does for the Muslim Brotherhood and its associations, he prefers the term which obviates Israel.
Israel is part of Levant so I don't get your point.

Israel existed in the 16th and 17th centuries?

Who knew?
Yes, the Land of Israel has been around since biblical times. Check out the OT.

And

The Levant is a geographical term that refers to a large area in Southwest Asia, south of theTaurus Mountains, bounded by theMediterranean Sea in the west, the Arabian Desert in the south, and Mesopotamia in the east. It stretches 400 miles north to south from the Taurus Mountains to the Sinai desert, and 70 to 100 miles east to west between the sea and the Arabian desert.[1] The term is also sometimes used to refer to modern events or states in the region immediately bordering the eastern Mediterranean Sea: Cyprus,Palestinian territories, Jordan, Israel, Lebanon, and Syria.

Wikipedia is your friend.

Actually.....logic is not your friend.

Too bad, huh?

Your attempt to shield the oaf in the White House is diaphanous at best. I'm trying to be kind to you.

In fact, there is a certain similarity between your attempt and this:

OBAMA: ISLAMIC STATE 'IS NOT ISLAMIC'

You loonies have a lot in common.

There has been little notice of the president’s insistent use of the acronym “ISIL” to describe the Sunni forces currently rampaging across Iraq, executing Iraqi military and creating a new massive refugee population in an already unstable area.

With the exception of Reuters and now the Associated Press, most news organizations have not referred to ISIL until President Obama began using the term, which stands for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. But when Obama used the term 5 times on June13, and 16 times in his commencement speech at West Point on June 19th, he was using his bully pulpit to make a point.

- See more at: Obama s Use of ISIL Not ISIS Tells Another Story The Fiscal Times

This is pretty interesting. Liberals will hate it, but.....

Well watch this.

Little notice? It has been the subject of radio callers for weeks.

I think the only question is if Obama intends to try to depose Assad at the same time as he deals with IS. His last attempt at threatening Assad didn't turn out so well.

It's code, designed to be understood by terrorists which is a word he won't use.

How so?

Rather than use the acronym ISIS, the anti-Israel President makes certain that he uses ISIL.

"The whole acronym debate comes because we’re trying represent what is really an Arabic set of terms,” said Mark Berkson, a professor of religion at Hamline University.

The Arabic term is Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham. Al-Dawla means state, Al-Islamiya means Islamic and al-Iraq means Iraq.

“The question is: What is that last part? What does al-Sham stand for?” Berkson said.

The ISIS camp thinks it’s Syria or greater Syria while the ISIL camp says it refers to the Levant, a larger geographic area that includes Syria, Israel, the Palestinian territories, Jordan and into parts of Turkey.

Early on, ISIS was the preferred term, but as the group has widened its threat, some have argued ISIL is a better representation of the terrorist group’s aspirations to take over the entire Muslim world."

Levant

Historical name for the countries along the shores of the eastern Mediterranean Sea. It was applied to the coastlands of Anatolia and Syria, sometimes extending from Greece to Egypt. The term was often associated with Venetian trading ventures. It was also used as a synonym for the Middle or Near East. In the 16th17th centuries the term High Levant referred to the Far East (East Asia). The name Levant States was given to the French mandate of Syria and Lebanon after World War I (191418).

As this President has no affinity for Israel....such as he clearly does for the Muslim Brotherhood and its associations, he prefers the term which obviates Israel.

Who knew?

And

The Levant is a geographical term that refers to a large area in Southwest Asia, south of theTaurus Mountains, bounded by theMediterranean Sea in the west, the Arabian Desert in the south, and Mesopotamia in the east. It stretches 400 miles north to south from the Taurus Mountains to the Sinai desert, and 70 to 100 miles east to west between the sea and the Arabian desert.[1] The term is also sometimes used to refer to modern events or states in the region immediately bordering the eastern Mediterranean Sea: Cyprus,Palestinian territories, Jordan, Israel, Lebanon, and Syria.

Too bad, huh?

Your attempt to shield the oaf in the White House is diaphanous at best. I'm trying to be kind to you.

Like I'm going to believe your paranoid ramblings over facts.

How so?

Levant

Who knew?

And

Too bad, huh?

For purposes of clarity......is this one of the facts you believe:
ISLAMIC STATE 'IS NOT ISLAMIC'

How so?

Levant

Who knew?

And

Too bad, huh?

They pretend to follow Islam but no, they no more follow Islam than Christians that support the death penalty follow Christianity.

How so?

Levant

Who knew?

And

Too bad, huh?

They pretend to follow Islam but no, they no more follow Islam than Christians that support the death penalty follow Christianity.

Just for a goof and giggle, who is it that is not following islam?

How so?

Levant

Who knew?

And

Too bad, huh?

This is so very sad.

Intelligent people....and I mean you.....have, seemingly, been exposed to Jedi mind tricks.....and say and believe the most inane things......

Of course they are Islamic.

Of course the Qur'an is the basis for their evil.

And of course Obama, who has made no secret of his fondness for the Muslim Brotherhood, has found ways to see that radicalism......Islamism...thrives.

BTW.....is Turkey Muslim?

. "Turkey will refuse to allow a US-led coalition to attack jihadists in neighbouring Iraq and Syria from its air bases, nor will it take part in combat operations against militants, a government official told AFP" Thursday
Breaking TURKEY REFUSES OBAMA REQUEST to Use Its Airbases to Fight ISIS The Gateway Pundit

Obama's two most significant foreign policy achievements will be a nuclear Iran, and the restoration of the Islamic caliphate.

ISIL is mostly based in Syria and ISIS in Iraq....so Obama uses ISIL to cover up the fact that ISIS is overrunning Iraq.

Reality is they were AQI until the US military and Iraq people/military ran them out of the country.....Obama just let them back in by leaving Iraq vulnerable.

Obama fucked up like usual.

How so?

Levant

Who knew?

And

Too bad, huh?

terrorists.

How so?

Levant

Who knew?

And

Too bad, huh?

This is so very sad.

Intelligent people....and I mean you.....have, seemingly, been exposed to Jedi mind tricks.....and say and believe the most inane things......

And of course Obama, who has made no secret of his fondness for the Muslim Brotherhood, has found ways to see that radicalism......Islamism...thrives.

. "Turkey will refuse to allow a US-led coalition to attack jihadists in neighbouring Iraq and Syria from its air bases, nor will it take part in combat operations against militants, a government official told AFP" Thursday
Breaking TURKEY REFUSES OBAMA REQUEST to Use Its Airbases to Fight ISIS The Gateway Pundit

Obama's two most significant foreign policy achievements will be a nuclear Iran, and the restoration of the Islamic caliphate.
Ok PC, all Koreans are Nazis, all Japanese people are feral, and all the Chinese are commies.

ISIL is mostly based in Syria and ISIS in Iraq....so Obama uses ISIL to cover up the fact that ISIS is overrunning Iraq.

Reality is they were AQI until the US military and Iraq people/military ran them out of the country.....Obama just let them back in by leaving Iraq vulnerable.

Obama fucked up like usual.

Let's remind all of the provenance of the problem: Obama

He refused to negotiate an agreement with Iraq that would have allowed enough US military to balance Iran's influence, and would not have allowed ISIS to grow exponentially.

How so?

Levant

Who knew?

And

Too bad, huh?

This is so very sad.

Ok PC, all Koreans are Nazis, all Japanese people are feral, and all the Chinese are commies.

I see....you represent the acumen of the Obama voter.

How does your stupid post apply to the simple truth that ISIS is based on Islam?

How so?

Levant

Who knew?

And

Too bad, huh?

"Groups like the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, and ISIS are not extremists. The Harvard Chaplain who claims death and the Ground Zero Imam who claims imprisonment for those who leave Islam are not isolated extremists. They are following Muhammad’s instructions, living in the stage of Islam applicable to their socio-political environment.

In 9:29, Muhammad proclaims:

Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Messenger [Muhammad] have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth [Islam], out of those who have been give the Book [the Bible, given to Christian and Jews], until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of [Muslim] superiority and they [Christians and Jews] are in a state of subjection [dhimmitude, i.e. third-class legal status for non-Muslims].

Muhammad claimed he was, “ordered [by Allah] to fight against the people until they testify that none has the right to be worshipped other than Allah…” and “to fight with them until they bear testimony to the fact that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger…” (Sahih al-Bukhar Volume 1, Book 2, Number 25; Sahih Muslim Book 031, Number 5917).

In near Islamic states, those who reject or leave Islam are “liable to be killed,” beaten, stomped on,stabbed, burned, imprisoned, and killed. In fact, the majority of Muslims surveyed in a 2010 Pew Research poll support the death penalty in their country for those who leave Islam."
ISIS HAMAS Not Extremists or Radical They are Following Qur an RedState

So, when Obama said “No religion condones the killing of innocents" last night....it was just one more of his bald-faced lies.

Woe betide those who accept without verifying.

Last edited:

How so?

Levant

Who knew?

And

Too bad, huh?

terrorists.

I have to admit, you sure seem so certain of that. I of course am not surprised that you some how loop Christians being as guilty as muslims in regards to who is following their faith.

Perhaps you can explain to me these verses in quran.

The Quran:
Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief] is worse than killing...

but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)" (Translation is from the Noble Quran) The historical context of this passage is not defensive warfare, since Muhammad and his Muslims had just relocated to Medina and were not under attack by their Meccan adversaries. In fact, the verses urge offensive warfare, in that Muslims are to drive Meccans out of their own city (which they later did). The use of the word "persecution" by some Muslim translators is thus disingenuous (the actual Muslim words for persecution - "idtihad" - and oppression - a variation of "z-l-m" - do not appear in the verse). The actual Arabic comes from "fitna" which can mean disbelief, or the disorder that results from unbelief or temptation. Taken as a whole, the context makes clear that violence is being authorized until "religion is for Allah" - ie. unbelievers desist in their unbelief.

Quran (2:244) - "Then fight in the cause of Allah, and know that Allah Heareth and knoweth all things."

Quran (2:216) - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."

Quran (3:56) - "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority".

Quran (4:74) - "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."

Quran (4:76) - "Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah…"

Quran (4:89) - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks."

Quran (4:95) - "Not equal are those believers who sit (at home) and receive no hurt, and those who strive and fight in the cause of Allah with their goods and their persons. Allah hath granted a grade higher to those who strive and fight with their goods and persons than to those who sit (at home). Unto all (in Faith) Hath Allah promised good: But those who strive and fight Hath He distinguished above those who sit (at home) by a special reward,-"

Quran (4:104) - "And be not weak hearted in pursuit of the enemy; if you suffer pain, then surely they (too) suffer pain as you suffer pain..."

Quran (5:33) - "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement"

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Quran (8:15) - "O ye who believe! When ye meet those who disbelieve in battle, turn not your backs to them. (16)Whoso on that day turneth his back to them, unless maneuvering for battle or intent to join a company, he truly hath incurred wrath from Allah, and his habitation will be hell, a hapless journey's end."

Quran (8:39) - "And fight with them until there is no more fitna (disorder, unbelief) and religion should be only for Allah"

Quran (8:57) - "If thou comest on them in the war, deal with them so as to strike fear in those who are behind them, that haply they may remember."

Quran (8:59-60) - "And let not those who disbelieve suppose that they can outstrip (Allah's Purpose). Lo! they cannot escape. Make ready for them all thou canst of (armed) force and of horses tethered, that thereby ye may dismay the enemy of Allah and your enemy."

Quran (8:65) - "O Prophet, exhort the believers to fight..."

Quran (9:5) - "So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captive and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them."

Quran (9:14) - "Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace..."

Quran (9:20) - "Those who believe, and have left their homes and striven with their wealth and their lives in Allah's way are of much greater worth in Allah's sight. These are they who are triumphant." The Arabic word interpreted as "striving" in this verse is the same root as "Jihad".

Quran (9:29) - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued." "

Quran (9:30) - "And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!"

Quran (9:38-39) - "O ye who believe! what is the matter with you, that, when ye are asked to go forth in the cause of Allah, ye cling heavily to the earth? Do ye prefer the life of this world to the Hereafter? But little is the comfort of this life, as compared with the Hereafter. Unless ye go forth, He will punish you with a grievous penalty, and put others in your place."

Quran (9:41) - "Go forth, light-armed and heavy-armed, and strive with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah! That is best for you if ye but knew." See also the verse that follows (9:42) - "If there had been immediate gain (in sight), and the journey easy, they would (all) without doubt have followed thee, but the distance was long, (and weighed) on them"

Quran (9:73) - "O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the hypocrites and be unyielding to them; and their abode is hell, and evil is the destination."

Quran (9:88) - "But the Messenger, and those who believe with him, strive and fight with their wealth and their persons: for them are (all) good things: and it is they who will prosper."

Quran (9:111) - "Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain: a promise binding on Him in truth, through the Law, the Gospel, and the Quran: and who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? then rejoice in the bargain which ye have concluded: that is the achievement supreme."

Quran (9:123) - "O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness."

Quran (17:16) - "And when We wish to destroy a town, We send Our commandment to the people of it who lead easy lives, but they transgress therein; thus the word proves true against it, so We destroy it with utter destruction."

Quran (21:44) - "We gave the good things of this life to these men and their fathers until the period grew long for them; See they not that We gradually reduce the land (in their control) from its outlying borders? Is it then they who will win?"

Quran (25:52) - "Therefore listen not to the Unbelievers, but strive against them with the utmost strenuousness..."

Quran (33:60-62) - "If the hypocrites, and those in whose hearts is a disease, and the alarmists in the city do not cease, We verily shall urge thee on against them, then they will be your neighbors in it but a little while. Accursed, they will be seized wherever found and slain with a (fierce) slaughter."

Quran (47:3-4) - "Those who reject Allah follow vanities, while those who believe follow the truth from their lord. Thus does Allah set forth form men their lessons by similitude. Therefore when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them, then make (them) prisoners, But if it had been Allah's Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of Allah,- He will never let their deeds be lost."

Quran (47:35) - "Be not weary and faint-hearted, crying for peace, when ye should be uppermost (Shakir: "have the upper hand") for Allah is with you,"

Quran (48:17) - "There is no blame for the blind, nor is there blame for the lame, nor is there blame for the sick (that they go not forth to war). And whoso obeyeth Allah and His messenger, He will make him enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow; and whoso turneth back, him will He punish with a painful doom."

Quran (48:29) - "Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves"

Quran (61:4) - "Surely Allah loves those who fight in His way"

Quran (61:10-12) - "O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a commerce that will save you from a painful torment. That you believe in Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad ), and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwelling in Gardens of 'Adn - Eternity ['Adn (Edn) Paradise], that is indeed the great success."

Quran (66:9) - "O Prophet! Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites, and be stern with them. Hell will be their home, a hapless journey's end."

The Quran s Verses of Violence
-------------------------------

Let me know, you ignorant ass, if you want more verses from the religion of peace. I have a whole lot more.

I think it is pretty funny how they are promised paradise with 72 virgins. How long will they be virgins I wonder? Does the man have the permission to rape these virgins? What about the women? What do they get? Oh, right. Muslims consider women to be just above swine, so their destiny is not even mentioned.

How so?

Levant

Who knew?

And

Too bad, huh?

terrorists.

The killing of innocents is not an option. It is mandated.

"They pretend to follow Islam but no, they no more follow Islam than Christians that support the death penalty follow Christianity."
Seems you know as little about Christianity as you do about Islam.

Where is the death penalty prohibited?

Genesis 9:6 prescribed the death penalty for murder when it said that if a man “shed the blood” of another man, by man must his blood be shed. The only law repeated in all five of the books of the old testament. The death penalty is a value, values are eternal, as opposed to customs or traditions, such as stoning for adultery.

ISL isn't Islamic in reality; consider:

1. The mass killings of Shi'ias;
2. The western clothing, including tennis shoes, watches, belts;
3. The purges of Sunni "apostates";

Is ISL is Islamic, Jim Jones was a Christian. ISL USES the Islamic faith when convenient, as did Hitler with Christianity. As many know, Christianity was discarded by the leaders of the Reich once power was consolidated.

ISL isn't Islamic in reality; consider:

1. The mass killings of Shi'ias;
2. The western clothing, including tennis shoes, watches, belts;
3. The purges of Sunni "apostates";

Is ISL is Islamic, Jim Jones was a Christian. ISL USES the Islamic faith when convenient, as did Hitler with Christianity. As many know, Christianity was discarded by the leaders of the Reich once power was consolidated.

Are you serious......or merely a 'reliable Democrat voter'?

In either case.....get your head out of the sand.

Forum List

Back