Why does it seem like in politics ...

Leweman

Gold Member
Aug 5, 2010
that everyone likes to look at people as groups instead of individuals? When somebody does something wrong people will blame the entire group an individual is associated with instead of the individual. Its like you can't have some ideas from one side and some ideas from the other ... you have to be all in with that side or this side. Thats what really frustrates me about politics is the group generalizations.

It is easier to mislead people by groupings. For example all muslims want to kill all non muslims.

The binary this or that thought process is essiential to devout political sheep.
Show no weakness to the enemy, etc.

that everyone likes to look at people as groups instead of individuals? When somebody does something wrong people will blame the entire group an individual is associated with instead of the individual. Its like you can't have some ideas from one side and some ideas from the other ... you have to be all in with that side or this side. Thats what really frustrates me about politics is the group generalizations.
All groups have been stereotyped. So if you do a good enough job of identifying an individual as a member of a group, the individual will take on all characteristic of group. For example the American public has been taught that communist are evil, anti-American, atheist, war mongers, etc... So if you can pin the tag communist on someone, the person's individual characteristics are no longer important. It makes life simple for voters. There are no grey areas.

Yeah.....that's why people join groups....to show their individuality. :rolleyes:

rush_lemmings_001.jpg

We humans love to categorize things. We must have some sense of order. It is not just in politics, it is in everyday life. It is convenient to do it that way. Once you start making exceptions the exceptions take away the message. The Republican Party has people from all walks of life and they disagree on many things amongst themselves. Some believe in evolution and abortion, others do not, yet in the media today all republicans are painted with the same beliefs. I believe that a large part of that blame must be laid on the media. To the media, individualism (unless it is weird or out of the mainstream) is not newsworthy. They are time and space limited, therefore they group everything and everybody together. It is wrong but the media has the power to control and influence the population.

Last edited:
All groups have been stereotyped. So if you do a good enough job of identifying an individual as a member of a group, the individual will take on all characteristic of group.
Right...right...so we need to do a better job of stopping groups from kidnapping people and making them echo/support the group-proclamations, right?

Let's HEAR It for expecting people to take-responsibility for their own actions!!!!

:cuckoo:

(Is it any wonder most 'Baggers are extremely-confused?)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPMjC9mq5Y[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvy9MA9D6Yo&feature=related[/ame]​

Last edited:

There's two kinds of people...people who generalize that there's two kinds of people, and people who don't.

We humans love to categorize things. We must have some sense of order. It is not just in politics, it is in everyday life. It is convenient to do it that way. Once you start making exceptions the exceptions take away the message. The Republican Party has people from all walks of life and they disagree on many things amongst themselves. Some believe in evolution and abortion, others do not, yet in the media today all republicans are painted with the same beliefs. I believe that a large part of that blame must be laid on the media. To the media, individualism (unless it is weird or out of the mainstream) is not newsworthy. They are time and space limited, therefore they group everything and everybody together.
So, then.....the Media is Kidnapper #1....it's the Media that forces people to join groups, huh?

:eusa_eh:

There's two kinds of people...people who generalize that there's two kinds of people, and people who don't.

532.gif

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxoMqs7iGqk]YouTube - ‪Shining bar scene: Words of wisdom Lloyd‬‎[/ame]​

We humans love to categorize things. We must have some sense of order. It is not just in politics, it is in everyday life. It is convenient to do it that way. Once you start making exceptions the exceptions take away the message. The Republican Party has people from all walks of life and they disagree on many things amongst themselves. Some believe in evolution and abortion, others do not, yet in the media today all republicans are painted with the same beliefs. I believe that a large part of that blame must be laid on the media. To the media, individualism (unless it is weird or out of the mainstream) is not newsworthy. They are time and space limited, therefore they group everything and everybody together.
So, then.....the Media is Kidnapper #1....it's the Media that forces people to join groups, huh?

:eusa_eh:

No, the media influences people to generalize and categorize. People join groups for their own reason, sometimes good, sometimes bad. But when they join they may not agree with everything that group stands for, yet the media and others would say that because you belong to that group you stand for everything that group stands for. Can I be a Republican and vote for a Democrat for president? Can I be a Republican and be an atheist? Yes!

Forum List

Back