Why Do You Trust the Bible?

Trust, but verify is easy to do with stuff written by men. I can always look for another source to corroborate what one man wrote. It's a little harder to do when the only source that backs up the Bible is the Bible.

The fact that you are unaware of other sources in no way proves that other sources do not exist. To put this in perspective, there is more historical evidence for the life and crucifixion of Jesus than there is for the Gallic Wars won by Julius Caesar. If you actually apply the standards you claim to have you would put more faith in the Bible than you do Caesar's Commentaries.
Actually, the stories about Jesus or the sayings attributed to him where written several generations after he died. No historical artifacts of Jesus exist. Now you know.

that would be a killer argument if it were true.....kinda sucks for you that it isn't.......

Actually, the stories about Jesus or the sayings attributed to him where written several generations after he died. No historical artifacts of Jesus exist. Now you know.

Actually, the extant writings that talk about Jesus, including all of the New Testament, the writings of the Church Fathers, and historical commentary from non Christian sources date back almost 2 centuries further than any existing copy of the fore mentioned Caesar's Commentaries.

By the way, in case you want to open your mouth wider to see if you can get your other foot into it, I am using the Commentaries because they are contemporary to most of the events in the New Testament. Don't let that little detail derail your insistence on displaying your ignorance.

Wow! No clue AND pompous. The earliest fragment of the bible has been dated to a couple of centuries after Jesus died.

actually, it's now pre-150 AD......does this imply to you that no other copies existed prior to that date?.....

Actually, the extant writings that talk about Jesus, including all of the New Testament, the writings of the Church Fathers, and historical commentary from non Christian sources date back almost 2 centuries further than any existing copy of the fore mentioned Caesar's Commentaries.

By the way, in case you want to open your mouth wider to see if you can get your other foot into it, I am using the Commentaries because they are contemporary to most of the events in the New Testament. Don't let that little detail derail your insistence on displaying your ignorance.

Wow! No clue AND pompous. The earliest fragment of the bible has been dated to a couple of centuries after Jesus died.

No.

The earliest extant copy of Caesar's Commentaries dates back to the 10th century, which is 9 centures after Julius Caesar, and Jesus, died. That makes my statement wrong only in that I gave you way too much rope to hang yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentarii_de_Bello_Civili#Criticism_and_revival

The earliest extant copy of Caesar's Commentaries dates back to the 10th century, which is 9 centures after Julius Caesar, and Jesus, died. That makes my statement wrong only in that I gave you way too much rope to hang yourself.

Just so you know, nobody gives a shit about caesar's whatever. :lol:

Translation: Bumberclyde just got bitch slapped by an pompous ass without a clue.

Well, the bible says a lot of horros (look at the Leviticus). It is ok to take the good parts and instructions of it (love and help...) but the rest... -> garbage.

Somehow routine Christian isn't good enough? They have to be super Christian or something?

So because there is a false system, the true one cannot be true or you cannot know?

I should rephrase. I believe there to be many people who say "yes I'm Christian" (in the context of a survey that counts the number of Christians in a community) but in fact don't go to church, don't read the bible, etc. Not saying you need to be a "super Christian", just pointing out that many people are Christian in name only and don't necessarily try to immerse themselves in the doctrine.

Growing up, I witnessed many sets of parents that simply went to church to maintain social structure. Not saying that's good or bad or anything, just pointing it out.
\

so in summary, a person may be a Christian yet never attend a church......or attend a church but never believe in Christ......

Most definitely ---> not everyone who is sitting in a church pew is a christian.

Last edited:

Translation: Bumberclyde just bitch slapped a pompous ass without a clue. ME!

Got that right!:D

Forum List

Back