CDZ Why do you own a gun?

Donald Polish

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2014
Kansas City
I'm writing a inquiry essay about gun laws and gun related incidents in the US, Since I lived in Europe and all the people I asked in my college don't own guns, I decided to ask participants of a more US influenced forum.
Do you need gun indeed?
IOF-32-REV-1.JPG

You've asked two different questions. Well, you've lured people in with one question then changed the question in your OP. We call that a "bait and switch."

So, what is your real question? Why do I own a gun, or do I need a gun? As I see it, one of your questions suggests curiosity while the other suggests an agenda...

Last edited:
Three reasons, in order from most important to least:

1) Because I can kill tasty things with them.

2) Because shooting calms me down. It's a zen thing.

3) Because shooting stuff is fun.
Is it anything wrong with me??:eek:

I'm writing a inquiry essay about gun laws and gun related incidents in the US, Since I lived in Europe and all the people I asked in my college don't own guns, I decided to ask participants of a more US influenced forum.
Do you need gun indeed?
There's no need to illustrate a "need" to exercise a right. Any question of "need" extends form a false premise.

I own guns for any and all of the traditionally lawful purposes a person might have for a gun.

Do you need gun indeed?
IOF-32-REV-1.JPG

I assume you mean handguns, or guns for self defense.

I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need one and not have it.

In addition to the defensive nature, I also happen to really like them. I have weapons that were used in the American Revolution and in the Civil War. They are tangible pieces of history that you can hold. I have a Sharps carbine that was used at the battle of Gettysburg so while I may not visit the battlefield every year I can still look at the weapon and honor the sacrifice that those who came before made to keep this country together.

yeah , no reason needed , I just like them same as I like motorcycles and knives and other tools . Then there is the history associated with them and then the practical uses and then self defense of self and maybe , who knows but maybe defense from enemies of the USA !!

Do you need gun indeed?
IOF-32-REV-1.JPG

I don't need all the guns I have, but our Bill of Rights is just that. It isn't a Bill of Needs.

I need my Kel Tec P3AT. It's the weapon I carry. I need my Mossberg 500, it's my home protection weapon.

I don't need the others, but I don't have to need them. I only have to want them. They are fun to shoot, fun to compete with, and an awesome hobby.

I don't need all the guns I have, but our Bill of Rights is just that. It isn't a Bill of Needs.

I need my Kel Tec P3AT. It's the weapon I carry. I need my Mossberg 500, it's my home protection weapon.

I don't need the others, but I don't have to need them. I only have to want them. They are fun to shoot, fun to compete with, and an awesome hobby.
In addition to the defensive nature, I also happen to really like them. I have weapons that were used in the American Revolution and in the Civil War. They are tangible pieces of history that you can hold. I have a Sharps carbine that was used at the battle of Gettysburg so while I may not visit the battlefield every year I can still look at the weapon and honor the sacrifice that those who came before made to keep this country together.
yeah , no reason needed , I just like them same as I like motorcycles and knives and other tools . Then there is the history associated with them and then the practical uses and then self defense of self and maybe , who knows but maybe defense from enemies of the USA !!
Oh I see you sorely need your weapons to be happy :bow2:

Do you need gun indeed?
IOF-32-REV-1.JPG

Gun owners who have them for reasons other than work (law enforcement et al.) deep down don't believe in God or an afterlife. So this is all they get and naturally they wanna forstall the inevitible as long as possible. So they maintain an efficient means of defending themselves and those they care about.

If they did in fact believe in God and an afterlife they'd actually welcome being killed since that's a no-fault death they can benefit from (going to heaven) as opposed to suicide which is usually forbidden.

Do you need gun indeed?
IOF-32-REV-1.JPG
How did gun control in Poland work out after the Nazis came in?

well , look at the resistance that the Jews put up at the Warsaw Ghetto , they took a few 'nazis' with them in that fight and the Jews only had a few guns . Sure the Jews lost but who knows what they coulda down if everyman , person had a Mauser and a pistol plus the ammo to go with it . Sure , the Jews mighta all died anyway but Jews died by the millions in the gas chambers of 'nazi' concentration , death camps anyway . Might as well die fighting rather then being herded to slaughter !!

yeah , maybe Owen , course guns , weapons are an Americans RIGHT , might as well exercise all Birth Rights Owen !!

Do you need gun indeed?
IOF-32-REV-1.JPG
Why do I own guns? My 9 mm glock Had it for 20 years now , my 12 gauge Remington around the same, it is just a tool to me, like my circular saw chain saw, I treat them all the same

I like my bb gun and compound Bow the best, those I use for target practice, still trying to catch a wild turkey in season with my compound bow

Hope this helps why I own a gun

yeah , maybe Owen , course guns , weapons are an Americans RIGHT , might as well exercise all Birth Rights Owen !!
The question is why do you own a gun and how do you use it. And answers are:
1. It's my right!!!
Ok, noone claims it's not
2. I like guns / it's funny to shoot / funny to compete / my hobby / still trying to catch a turkey
Lethal weapons are just fun in the most cases, correct?

The question is why do you own a gun and how do you use it. And answers are:
1. It's my right!!!
Ok, noone claims it's not
2. I like guns / it's funny to shoot / funny to compete / my hobby / still trying to catch a turkey
Lethal weapons are just fun in the most cases, correct?
As previous noted...
I own guns for any and all of the traditionally lawful purposes a person might have for a gun.
Where's the issue?

Forum List

Back