Why do we have a memorial in Washington DC to a racist?

"Black abolitionist leader Frederick Douglass was an early critic of President Lincoln. Douglass became an admirer of President Lincoln after the Emancipation Proclamation and helped the Union Army recruit black troops. In August of 1863, Douglass went to President Lincoln to urge equal pay for black soldiers.

Nearly a year later on August 19, 1864, Douglass returned to the White House at the President's request. Douglass was impressed that President Lincoln prolonged their conversation despite the arrival of Connecticut Governor William A. Cunningham. Douglass recalled: "Mr. Lincoln said, 'tell Governor Buckingham to wait, for I want to have a long talk with my friend Frederick Douglass.'" Douglass commented: "This was probably the first time in the history of this Republic when its chief magistrate found occasion or disposition to exercise such an act of impartiality between persons so widely different in their positions and supposed claims upon his attention. From the manner of the governor, when he was finally admitted, I inferred that he was as well satisfied with what Mr. Lincoln had done, or had omitted to do, as I was.""

Mr. Lincoln s White House - Frederick Douglass 1817-1895

"Douglass described events later that day when he tried to attend the Inaugural levee at the Executive Mansion:
For the first time in my life, and I suppose the first time in any colored man's life, I attended the reception of President Lincoln on the evening of the inauguration. As I approached the door, I was seized by two policemen and forbidden to enter. I said to them that they were mistaken entirely in what they were doing, that if Mr. Lincoln knew that I was at the door he would order my admission, and I bolted in by them. On the inside, I was taken charge of by two other policemen, to be conducted as I supposed to the President, but instead of that they were conducting me out the window on a plank.

'Oh,' said I, 'this will not do, gentlemen,' and as a gentleman was passing in I said to him, 'Just say to Mr. Lincoln that Fred. Douglass is at the door.'

He rushed in to President Lincoln, and almost in less than half a minute I was invited into the East Room of the White House. A perfect sea of beauty and elegance, too, it was. The ladies were in very fine attire, and Mrs. Lincoln was standing there. I could not have been more than ten feet from him when Mr. Lincoln saw me; his countenance lighted up, and he said in a voice which was heard all around; 'Here comes my friend Douglass.' As I approached him he reached out his hand, gave me a cordial shake, and said: 'Douglass, I saw you in the crowd today listening to my inaugural address. There is no man's opinion that I value more than yours; what do you think of it?'"

Normal people are able to put topics into perspective and context and think with rational influences to apply to their final opinions. Extremist are not. able to do any of those things.

YEah, the Lincoln cult is able to put slavery into "perspective."

Your disgusting apologias for the object of your worship is sickening to behold. It's hard to believe anyone could debase themselves in such a manner. The hypocrisy is enough to make a sailor vomit.

Moon Bats are hell bent to wipe out racism so why aren't they working hard to get rid of the Lincoln Memorial? Is it because they are delusional, confused or simply don't know a damn thing about history?

Some of the things the racist said:

I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position.

Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas ...
A great person is one who holds stupid views and still does the right thing. Lincoln was racist but he still freed the slaves. He should have two monuments.

He freed the slaves to disrupt the South economically. He obviously had no love for blacks and was clearly a racist.

That is...unless you endorse Lincoln's statements above?
You may believe as you choose but he had no interest in half the country suffering economically.

Of course he did. Why else would he have waged war on them?

Our Republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

^most Republicans still feel that way.

One thing is certain: diversity is crap. It's benefits are entirely imaginary.

Moon Bats are hell bent to wipe out racism so why aren't they working hard to get rid of the Lincoln Memorial? Is it because they are delusional, confused or simply don't know a damn thing about history?

I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position.

Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas ...
A great person is one who holds stupid views and still does the right thing. Lincoln was racist but he still freed the slaves. He should have two monuments.

In other words, a great person is a hypocrite?

Hard to believe a lib admitted that.

Lincoln freed the slaves

Washington and Jefferson OWNED slaves

You are looking at the wrong memorial
Lincoln tried to deport blacks after the war. He said he had no intention of making them equal to whites.

Lincoln never tried to deport blacks after the war

He was dead
Yep, you're a right winger alright. Trying talk about stuff you have no clue about.

Feb 11, 2011 ...Lincoln also considered a plan to get thousands of black soldiers out of the way after the civil war ended by sending them down to Panama to ...
Abraham Lincoln tried to deport slaves to British colonies Daily Mail Online

Book Lincoln sought to deport freed slaves - Washington Times

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”
Racist Quote by Abe Lincoln Happy Black History Month darwinian remiix

Again, you cannot understand Lincoln if you keep trying to place his words in a modern context. Most of the revisionists have no knowledge of his times or of Lincoln himself, and attempt to place his words in a vacuum.

It is entirely in keeping with the beliefs of the time that Lincoln thought negroes were intellectually inferior. That was what the "science" of the time informed him. It also would have been political suicide for him to say blacks were the intellectual equal of whites. He would have been lynched.

However, you find that even with this handicap in reasoning, Lincoln still believed in full equality for blacks.

If you read what I posted from Alexis de Tocqueville earlier in this topic, America faced great obstacles to achieving true equality for blacks that previous slave states in antiquity did not. And it is necessary to understand this context to understand Lincoln's position.

There is no doubt Lincoln believed in freedom and equality for blacks. It is patently ridiculous to think otherwise, and only someone who is not intimately familiar with Lincoln could think so.

To wit:

"Now, gentlemen, I don't want to read at any greater length, but this is the true complexion of all I have ever said in regard to the institution of slavery and the black race. This is the whole of it, and anything that argues me into his idea of perfect social and political equality with the negro, is but a specious and fantastic arrangement of words, by which a man can prove a horse-chestnut to be a chestnut horse. I will say here, while upon this subject, that I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so. I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and the black races. There is a physical difference between the two, which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position. I have never said anything to the contrary, but I hold that, notwithstanding all this, there is no reason in the world why the negro is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the white man. I agree with Judge Douglas he is not my equal in many respects—certainly not in color, perhaps not in moral or intellectual endowment. But in the right to eat the bread, without the leave of anybody else, which his own hand earns, he is my equal and the equal of Judge Douglas, and the equal of every living man."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back