Why Do We Gesture When We Talk?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
5d28a5907d711.jpg

Lord above. More $$$ spent on some arcane study that really has no viability in the real world. Who uses their hands when they speak? Not a lot with English. Loads with Spanish and Italian.

Was that included in the study?

Gesture researchers have spent the past 40 years uncovering how movements (like a cupped hand rotating in space or a finger tracing a path through the air) are intimately tied to speech. Regardless of their spoken language or culture, humans gesture when they talk. They gesture even if they have never seen gestures before—people who have been blind since birth do it—and they gesture even if they’re talking to someone on the phone and know no one can see them. When speech is disrupted—by stuttering, for example—so is gesture.

Yes. It does speak of the differences in the language being spoken.

More @ Why Do We Gesture When We Talk? - Mental Floss - Pocket

5d28a5907d711.jpg

Lord above. More $$$ spent on some arcane study that really has no viability in the real world. Who uses their hands when they speak? Not a lot with English. Loads with Spanish and Italian.

Gesture researchers have spent the past 40 years uncovering how movements (like a cupped hand rotating in space or a finger tracing a path through the air) are intimately tied to speech. Regardless of their spoken language or culture, humans gesture when they talk. They gesture even if they have never seen gestures before—people who have been blind since birth do it—and they gesture even if they’re talking to someone on the phone and know no one can see them. When speech is disrupted—by stuttering, for example—so is gesture.

I don't think this kind of a study is wasteful actually. Speech and language is fundamental to being human, and certainly how we treat those with speech and language delays/disorders is a worthy pursuit. I would think learning how gestures contribute to thinking about and processing language is worthwhile--a lot more beneficial than, say, putting shrimp on treadmills and other things we've studied.

movements of the mouth and the hand are mediated by the brain----the areas that
control them are in CLOSE PROXIMITY-----fortunately the foot is represented ---up there over the top -----out of the way so that people do not kick each other as they speak

5d28a5907d711.jpg

I don't think this kind of a study is wasteful actually. Speech and language is fundamental to being human, and certainly how we treat those with speech and language delays/disorders is a worthy pursuit. I would think learning how gestures contribute to thinking about and processing language is worthwhile--a lot more beneficial than, say, putting shrimp on treadmills and other things we've studied.

The shrimp on treadmill was looking at inactivity in farm raised shrimp making them more vulnerable to infections than wild shrimp.

I think it's interesting how the same sign can mean radically different things in different countries. For example:

220px-LG_WHISEN_%EC%86%90%EC%97%B0%EC%9E%AC_%EC%A7%80%EB%A9%B4_%EA%B4%91%EA%B3%A0_%EC%B4%AC%EC%98%81_%EC%82%AC%EC%A7%84_%2830%29_hand_only.jpg

In the U.S. it means everything's great. In Italy you just got called a pussy.

Ir's part of the show. I believe the more extroverted one is, the more one gestures.

It's the alcohol.

Jim Beam isn't the greatest, but who cares when it's cheap and you're young haha?

5d28a5907d711.jpg

Your ignorance abounds. Sucker is written all over your forhead. Lips fucking lie like hell, but the body betrays them. Learn body language skills and be lied to no more.

5d28a5907d711.jpg

Speaking as person living with a hearing impairment, I can answer their question pretty easily. It's because humans, like most animals, do a lot of their communicating through body language, more than we actually realize. Certainly some cultures seem to encourage more emotionalism in communicating than others do, which exaggerates the use of gestures, but it's still a hardwired part of human communication, the same as intonation (instead of simply speaking in a monotone) is.

Ir's part of the show. I believe the more extroverted one is, the more one gestures.

True, but everyone still does it to some extent. Even the most introverted, reserved person is harder for me (with my hearing impairment) to understand if I can't see them and read their body language to give context to their words.

control them are in CLOSE PROXIMITY-----fortunately the foot is represented ---up there over the top -----out of the way so that people do not kick each other as they speak

Are you sure? I agree about the close proximity, but listening to some people there is a disconnect in terms of what they say and their brain (sarcasm). I know you're talking about the non-verbal communications, so will have to pay attention to that more next time when they are talking. These people usually do not give you the listening, attentive cues though and sometimes it is hard to get a word in edgewise; they interrupt when trying to say something. I don't mind if it's just chit chat, but sometimes it happens during a meeting and you need to get some points across.

Here's an excellent video about listening. He doesn't mention the non-verbal cues, but I think it's part of it. He also has second video about talking and having people listen which has way more views haha. I'll have to check that one out next.

Are you sure? I agree about the close proximity, but listening to some people there is a disconnect in terms of what they say and their brain (sarcasm). I know you're talking about the non-verbal communications, so will have to pay attention to that more next time when they are talking. These people usually do not give you the listening, attentive cues though and sometimes it is hard to get a word in edgewise; they interrupt when trying to say something. I don't mind if it's just chit chat, but sometimes it happens during a meeting and you need to get some points across.

Here's an excellent video about listening. He doesn't mention the non-verbal cues, but I think it's part of it. He also has second video about talking and having people listen which has way more views haha. I'll have to check that one out next.

nope---sorry, I am talking about the actual FUNCTIONAL TOPOLOGY
of the brain. It is fact that the hands---both movement and sensation, are
in close proximity to the area of the brain that meditates language. Very
interestingly---the specific area of the brain that functions in CALCULATIONS-----is very close to the sense and movement in the hands too-----watch kids COUNT ON THEIR FINGERS. sorry folks---this is
neurophysiology

interestingly---the specific area of the brain that functions in CALCULATIONS-----is very close to the sense and movement in the hands too-----watch kids COUNT ON THEIR FINGERS. sorry folks---this is
neurophysiology

I'm left brain dominant. So shouldn't it be easier for me to gesture with my right hand? I find it's easier to gesture with my left hand/arm although I use both (like we use both sides of our brains).

5d28a5907d711.jpg

So did they find out why Ken Fisher of
Fisher Investments always looks like he has someone behind him with arms in his jacket flailing around and gesturing like they aren't part of his own body?
Even today on Neil Covuto he was gesturing like his arms and hands have a mind of their own.

5d28a5907d711.jpg

Gestures are a form of speech, they can get the attention of a loved one to transmit silent messages in a moment of danger, thus they are evolutionarily necessary.

neurophysiology

I'm left brain dominant. So shouldn't it be easier for me to gesture with my right hand? I find it's easier to gesture with my left hand/arm although I use both (like we use both sides of our brains).

That whole "left brain/right hand" thing is exaggerated mightily. The truth is that our bodies are designed for both sides to work together. You probably gesture more with whichever is your dominant hand, but your brain is still programmed to use both together.

That whole "left brain/right hand" thing is exaggerated mightily. The truth is that our bodies are designed for both sides to work together. You probably gesture more with whichever is your dominant hand, but your brain is still programmed to use both together.

I know I can't do the following deliberately, i.e. opposite of my natural inclination, without feeling awkward. I'm 66.7% left dom.

In regards to gesturing, then it feels natural using both sides, but one side could dominate like when winking. Isn't it subconscious to a degree?

I know I can't do the following deliberately, i.e. opposite of my natural inclination, without feeling awkward. I'm 66.7% left dom.

In regards to gesturing, then it feels natural using both sides, but one side could dominate like when winking. Isn't it subconscious to a degree?

there is SUCH A THING-----as being left eyed vs right eyed. Right and Left is
actually quite a big deal in the function of the brain. -----but is not CONSISTENT
thruout the species.

Yup. People tend to naturally favor their dominant side. That's why you can tell if a child is right- or left-handed by watching which hand they most often reach for things with.

Fun fact: when solving maze puzzles, most people will automatically choose to turn right rather than left - because most people are right-handed - and lefties will tend to automatically turn left. I learned when playing video games with mazes to always follow the right-hand wall, because as it turns out, the game designers are ALSO mostly righthanded, and unconsciously design the puzzles that way.

Another fun fact: I like to shoot target archery as a hobby, and when I started, they told me that you should shoot based on your dominant EYE, not your dominant hand . . . and it's not always the same side. Yes, you do actually have a dominant eye.

Forum List

Back