Why Do Schools Not Give Pragmatic Classes?

House

Opinionated Ass
Nov 1, 2012
For example, teaching children to think critically. Instead of teaching children how to think, teachers are just interested in having the children memorize dry facts that mean absolutely nothing and will be forgotten about before the next report card.

If children were taught how to think instead of what to think, and graded on the reliability of their sources instead of how well they could memorize words from a chalk board, we wouldn't have a nation of sheep.

Instead, Critical Thinking is relegated to an elective at the college level.

Along the same vein (and after a class on Critical Thinking), schools should focus on Current Events, to raise awareness of and interest in what's happening around the city, state, country, and world. Then we'd have more voters that were prepared for the polls when they turned 18.

I also think schools should be more proactive about teaching healthy parenting habits, because the reality is, most students will wind up parents sooner rather than later.

Long story short-high stakes testing is in the way.

Huh? You have to be kidding. What is critical thinking? Is it scientific, if so can you imagine the scientific method being taught? Parents would be in a uproar the first time little Joanie asked her parents for proof. Is it mechanical, like changing your own oil and checking the tires? That is pragmatic. Trouble here is pragmatic, critical etc are in the eye of the beholder, that is why a broad liberal education is maybe the best way, as it offers some flexibility and personal freedom. You learn lots and take it from there.

For example, teaching children to think critically. Instead of teaching children how to think, teachers are just interested in having the children memorize dry facts that mean absolutely nothing and will be forgotten about before the next report card.

If children were taught how to think instead of what to think, and graded on the reliability of their sources instead of how well they could memorize words from a chalk board, we wouldn't have a nation of sheep.

Instead, Critical Thinking is relegated to an elective at the college level.

Along the same vein (and after a class on Critical Thinking), schools should focus on Current Events, to raise awareness of and interest in what's happening around the city, state, country, and world. Then we'd have more voters that were prepared for the polls when they turned 18.

I also think schools should be more proactive about teaching healthy parenting habits, because the reality is, most students will wind up parents sooner rather than later.

Personally..I'd like to see classes in Civics and Ethics.

Huh? You have to be kidding. What is critical thinking? Is it scientific, if so can you imagine the scientific method being taught? Parents would be in a uproar the first time little Joanie asked her parents for proof. Is it mechanical, like changing your own oil and checking the tires? That is pragmatic. Trouble here is pragmatic, critical etc are in the eye of the beholder, that is why a broad liberal education is maybe the best way, as it offers some flexibility and personal freedom. You learn lots and take it from there.

Tis true.

But the OP is not completely off base.

Lately scholastics have been concerned with making rote little robots able to score high on math tests.

What they don't realize is that we have an edge over nations with high math scores because Americans DO think critically and outside the box.

That's why we wind up inventing stuff where other countries wind up figuring out how to make our stuff better.

Huh? You have to be kidding. What is critical thinking? Is it scientific, if so can you imagine the scientific method being taught? Parents would be in a uproar the first time little Joanie asked her parents for proof.

That feeds into the sheeple way of thinking. "Oh, somebody with authority said so, so it must be true by virtue of their position over me. Nevermind that they have no experience or formal training on the subject."

God forbid that papa actually tells Johnny why instead of, "Because I said so!". He might actually learn something... can't have that!

^ And I wrote this post as a parent.

I would like to see HS graduates actually be prepared to function in the world.

As it is today American HS grads are woefully ill prepared to do so.

I would like to see HS graduates actually be prepared to function in the world.

As it is today American HS grads are woefully ill prepared to do so.

I agree, however the vast majority of the problem is bad parenting and single parenting. (not saying they are one in the same)
Not to step on toes, but there is no doubt that especially boys raised with just a mother is a BIG problem. BIG problem.

Whatever it is you dislike about schools, it is because we allow governments to run a monopoly on the market for affordable education. Funding education for everyone is one thing, but RUNNING each and every school, from what's in the text books to how many tater tots are served at lunch is the problem. Get the various governments out of the education business you'd have the CHOICE to pick a school the teaches pragmatic classes.

Until then, we will continue to spend more per student than nearly any country in the world while producing ever poorer results. It's our choice.

Modern public education emphasizes self esteem and the collective mindset over scholastics. I've done numerous projects for various schools locally and I was at first amazed at how inarticulate the educators were. Many, including principles, could barely put a coherant sentence together, let alone a complete concise train of thought.

How could they teach critical anaysis when they don't posses the tools themselves?

Their curriculm often focuses on the correct way to think (group think, very politicaly correct) self worth and value to the community. What ever happened to the three Rs?
They are union managed with little consideration to outcome. Much of what they teach are outright lies. Lincoln's religion is 'liberal' really? Reagan presided over the worse economic collapse in 40 years so supply side economics was abandoned, really?

They don't care what the truth is, or teaching little Johnny how to process information on his own, it's all about the agenda.

Modern public education emphasizes self esteem and the collective mindset over scholastics. I've done numerous projects for various schools locally and I was at first amazed at how inarticulate the educators were. Many, including principles, could barely put a coherant sentence together, let alone a complete concise train of thought.

How could they teach critical anaysis when they don't posses the tools themselves?

Their curriculm often focuses on the correct way to think (group think, very politicaly correct) self worth and value to the community. What ever happened to the three Rs?
They are union managed with little consideration to outcome. Much of what they teach are outright lies. Lincoln's religion is 'liberal' really? Reagan presided over the worse economic collapse in 40 years so supply side economics was abandoned, really?

They don't care what the truth is, or teaching little Johnny how to process information on his own, it's all about the agenda.

Can you back that up with anything?

Whatever it is you dislike about schools, it is because we allow governments to run a monopoly on the market for affordable education. Funding education for everyone is one thing, but RUNNING each and every school, from what's in the text books to how many tater tots are served at lunch is the problem. Get the various governments out of the education business you'd have the CHOICE to pick a school the teaches pragmatic classes.

Until then, we will continue to spend more per student than nearly any country in the world while producing ever poorer results. It's our choice.

If this was true then charter schools and even online education would produce far better results. Unfortunately, they do not. In fact, what we are finding is that the Choice meme is more often than not linked to theft of tax payers dollars.

Can you back that up with anything?
Can I back up my personal observations? You mean with twitter or youtube? I haven't documented my life online for you. Yes, I witnessed it first hand, have teacher friends that say the same (and don't like it) and I don't need your approval.

If this was true then charter schools and even online education would produce far better results. Unfortunately, they do not. In fact, what we are finding is that the Choice meme is more often than not linked to theft of tax payers dollars.
Odd that you would say that with no support. My comments were of my personal observations of local schools and you asked me to back it up (which is wierd).

Your statements transcend personal experience so let's see what you have.

I gave up on public school long ago. If I ever have kids of my own they'll be home-schooled so they actually learn useful information.

They're called 'principals'.

Odd that you would say that with no support. My comments were of my personal observations of local schools and you asked me to back it up (which is wierd).

I'd be more than happy to.
This is information regarding the cyber schools in Colorado.
Online K-12 Schools Failing Students but Keeping Tax Dollars | I-News Network at Rocky Mountain PBS

This is an article from USA Today
Online schools spend millions to attract students

But wait there is more:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/e...-than-in-classrooms.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

And then there is good old Nick Trombetta.
Nick Trombetta « CBS Pittsburgh

There are two areas that you need to look at for scams. One is in the real estate rentals and the other is "management".
Florida charter schools: big money, little oversight - Cashing In On Kids - MiamiHerald.com

Charter School Gravy Train Runs Express To Fat City - Forbes

Start here for other:

https://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/01/31-9

Look here:

CREDO

Let me know if you would like some more.

Online K-12 Schools Failing Students but Keeping Tax Dollars | I-News Network at Rocky Mountain PBS

I'd like some honesty but I realize it's unlikely. Posting links is lazy and stupid. Post the portion of what you think makes your claim along with the link. We have cyber schools here working in conjunction with parents, kids and the state and the trend is growing as they are very sucessful. I'm not sure what your link is supposed to prove but I rather doubt you read all those in a few minutes.

I'd like some honesty but I realize it's unlikely. Posting links is lazy and stupid. Post the portion of what you think makes your claim along with the link. We have cyber schools here working in conjunction with parents, kids and the state and the trend is growing as they are very sucessful. I'm not sure what your link is supposed to prove but I rather doubt you read all those in a few minutes.

There is nothing dishonest in any of this. This is not a right v left issue either. Cyber schools only benefit one type of learner. This information was available prior to utilization of it. Hence, in Colorado they found the drop out rate was exceptionally high and kids were not scoring well on testing. The only thing successful is profit.

I think you understand perfectly what the links show but you don't like it.

There is nothing dishonest in any of this. This is not a right v left issue either. Cyber schools only benefit one type of learner. This information was available prior to utilization of it. Hence, in Colorado they found the drop out rate was exceptionally high and kids were not scoring well on testing. The only thing successful is profit.

I think you understand perfectly what the links show but you don't like it.
Cyber schools aren't for everyone and not all alternative schools are cycber schools. You made a blanket statement, even if the link was true it doesn't help.

The dishonestly is in you spending a few minutes gathering links and expecting others to spend their day reading them. If you want to support your claim, post the relevant passage and the link so we can check for accuracy, the source and context.

Forum List

Back