Why do Republicans believe so deeply in what government says?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Londoner, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Londoner

Londoner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,707
    I have a close Republican friend who tells me constantly that government cannot be trusted. His theory is that concentrated power attracts precisely the two personality-types that should never be allowed near power: the corrupt or the idealistic. For this reason he says that power, by definition, must be dispersed.

When it comes to social programs, he is a cold eyed realist: "if you pay someone not to work, they won't. If you levy punitive taxes on innovators and producers, people won't innovate and produce".

When it comes to hope and change, he is surgical: "Every postwar American president has promised all things to all people, but none of them has had the courage to be honest with the middle class about the hard choices that lie ahead. Instead of calling for sacrifice, the government hands out credit cards and false promises"

Point is: my friend doesn't believe anything the government says. He believes that Washington's concentrated power transforms all politicians -- sooner or later -- into corrupt insiders who provide favors to special interests.

(accept for when it comes to war)

Whether it be Vietnam or Iraq, he believes government. He believes that the corrupt monster called government is, somehow, magically honest and good when it comes to war.

(He cried -- literally cried -- when Reagan gave speeches about the evil empire. If you try to tell him that Washington has very skillfully hidden the real costs of the Cold War and the War on Terrorism, he gets defensive and mean. Why? Because government doesn't lie.)

Indeed, as a Cold Warrior, he has a deep, indefatigable patriotism which is engaged fully by war. This is his blind spot. When he thinks of presidential war speeches he gets extremely emotional. He craves romantic stories about National Greatness. The pride of being an American -- of being better and more evolved than the rest of creation -- defines him.

He is the archetype Republican Voter -- decent, honest, hard working, practical, & just -- but utterly trusting in government when it comes to the most important thing: war. He, to put it simply, trusts government deeply. He doesn't question the Pentagon, the war budget, "the mission", or the nuts-&-bolts narrative of what the government says the dangers are.

When the government speaks of the domino theory or the dangers of Hussein, he believes it. Unlike the Lefties who rebelled against Johnson, he doesn't question the government description of war.

I have a question.

Why do Republicans trust Washington so deeply?

This is not a rhetorical question. It is genuine. I do not ask it disrespectfully. I have never, ever received a convincing answer, despite years of asking (on both sides of the ocean). I have been attacked for asking this question, but I have never heard a carefully reasoned, historically rich argument.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    It is the authoritarian mindset that pervades the right.
    And also their susectability to fear.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,541
    I agree with that.

4. hipeter924

hipeter924 Not a zombie yet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    Not all Republicans support war, and not all Democrats support peace, then you have to make the distinction between those that want minarchy (a small government), and those that want to eliminate government all together (an ideal shared by anarcho-capitalists and communists), which would result in an end to the mechanism that allows war to occur in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  5. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    I'm not 100% sure on what you mean.

But I understand this;

Terrible things happen in war. There no nice way of killing your enemy.

You would have to be more specific beyond that.

6. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    And the left believes that the corrupt monster is, somehow, magically honest and good when doling out charity, nagging us about smoking and what foods we eat, dictating what kinds of cars we drive, haranguing us about the environment and recycling...The list goes on and on.

Same shit, different flies.

7. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Authoritarianism.

8. hipeter924

hipeter924 Not a zombie yet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    [​IMG]

I like this one.

9. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Wait a minute....From which party does co-terror-warrior Tony Blair come from?

From which party came the presidents who got America involved in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam?

Mr. Kettle, meet Miss Pot. :rolleyes:

10. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,998
    Shows how little you know about the left.