Why didn’t Gingrich serve in Vietnam

In 1961, Gingrich graduated from Baker High School in Columbus, Georgia. He became interested in politics during his teen years while living in Orléans, France, where he visited the site of the Battle of Verdun and learned about the sacrifices made there and the importance of political leadership.[10]

Choosing to obtain deferments granted to students and fathers, Gingrich did not enlist and was not drafted during the Vietnam War. He expressed some regret about that decision in 1985, saying, "Given everything I believe in, a large part of me thinks I should have gone over."[11]

How cool of him to think of that. :doubt:

Of what?

This was President Kennedy's executive order. Check it out.

President Kennedy set up Executive Order 11119 (signed on September 10, 1963), granting an exemption from conscription for married men between the ages of 19 and 26.

President Johnson later rescinded the exemption for married men without children by Executive Order 11241 (signed on August 26, 1965 and going into effect on midnight of that date)

. However, married men with children or other dependents and men married before the Executive Order went into effect were still exempt. President Reagan revoked both of them with Executive Order 12553 (signed on February 25, 1986).

Newt was exempt by President Kennedy's own orders.

He was married and had a child.

No, he would not be the first fat President. Taft and Cleveland were both pretty porky.

Dr. Paul was married w/ two children & went. Newt claims he wasn't eligible for the draft. Maybe he wasn't.

Uncle was supposedly drafted in 1962. Newt would have been right on the line, if not eligible.

In 1961, Gingrich graduated from Baker High School in Columbus, Georgia. He became interested in politics during his teen years while living in Orléans, France, where he visited the site of the Battle of Verdun and learned about the sacrifices made there and the importance of political leadership.[10]

Choosing to obtain deferments granted to students and fathers, Gingrich did not enlist and was not drafted during the Vietnam War. He expressed some regret about that decision in 1985, saying, "Given everything I believe in, a large part of me thinks I should have gone over."[11]

How cool of him to think of that. :doubt:

Of what?

This was President Kennedy's executive order. Check it out.

President Kennedy set up Executive Order 11119 (signed on September 10, 1963), granting an exemption from conscription for married men between the ages of 19 and 26.

President Johnson later rescinded the exemption for married men without children by Executive Order 11241 (signed on August 26, 1965 and going into effect on midnight of that date)

. However, married men with children or other dependents and men married before the Executive Order went into effect were still exempt. President Reagan revoked both of them with Executive Order 12553 (signed on February 25, 1986).

Newt was exempt by President Kennedy's own orders.

No, after it was all said and done: " Well maybe I should've gone." Not impressed. As a matter of fact, nothing he does impresses me. Disgusting.

Married with a child. No excuse. No one else got to use that excuse. Next?

Yes they did. Many opted out. And decided not to enlist in Johnson's disgusting police action over in Vietnam. Johnson made a fortune on the war but that's for another thread.

And Newt was never drafted.

Okay, let's once again blame a single individual for our involvement in a war. The last troops left in '75, under Ford, a day before I was born. Not a partisan issue. So bullshit.

Johnson ramped it plain and simple. It was a bad time. Kennedy if he had lived would have had everybody out.

He was married and had a child.

No, he would not be the first fat President. Taft and Cleveland were both pretty porky.

Until you get the real reason, why not give him the benefit of doubt like you did with Clinton and his draft status?

Meister just so you know the real reason was Newt truly was exempt. By an executive order that Kennedy signed.

Check it out.

President Kennedy set up Executive Order 11119 (signed on September 10, 1963), granting an exemption from conscription for married men between the ages of 19 and 26. President Johnson later rescinded the exemption for married men without children by Executive Order 11241 (signed on August 26, 1965 and going into effect on midnight of that date).

However, married men with children or other dependents and men married before the Executive Order went into effect were still exempt. President Reagan revoked both of them with Executive Order 12553 (signed on February 25, 1986).

Probably for the reasons that that douchebag Cheney didn't serve.

Gingrich, Limbaugh, Cheney, Clinton,...who else?

I think you covered everyone who didn't serve in the military during the Nam war. Good job. :cuckoo:

I try not to be partisan where bullshit like that is concerned. It spreads across the aisles. And you're so literal, smartass.

Last edited:

Until you get the real reason, why not give him the benefit of doubt like you did with Clinton and his draft status?

Meister just so you know the real reason was Newt truly was exempt. By an executive order that Kennedy signed.

Check it out.

President Kennedy set up Executive Order 11119 (signed on September 10, 1963), granting an exemption from conscription for married men between the ages of 19 and 26. President Johnson later rescinded the exemption for married men without children by Executive Order 11241 (signed on August 26, 1965 and going into effect on midnight of that date).

However, married men with children or other dependents and men married before the Executive Order went into effect were still exempt. President Reagan revoked both of them with Executive Order 12553 (signed on February 25, 1986).

How fortunate.

Kind of a onesided partisan link wouldn't you, admit?
I'm sure it didn't have the total head counts or the total count of who didn't serve. :eusa_whistle:

Well, give us something better. My link is a good starting point.

no link is better than a link like that. it's only there to make one side look bad and the other side look good through half truths. hacks like you are the only ones who would stoop that low, lakhota. :clap2:

Probably for the reasons that that douchebag Cheney didn't serve.

Gingrich, Limbaugh, Cheney, Clinton,...who else?

# Mitch McConnell, the current Republican leader in the U.S. Senate: did not serve.
# Bill Frist,, the former Republican leader in the U.S. Senate: did not serve.
# Trent Lott, the former Republican leader in the U.S. Senate: avoided the draft, did not serve.
# Saxby Chambliss: did not serve. "Bad knee"
* Rick Santorum: did not serve.
* John Ashcroft: did not serve. Seven deferments, to teach business.
* Richard Shelby: did not serve.
# Phil Gramm: did not serve.
# Jon Kyl: did not serve.
# Newt Gingrich – sought graduate school deferment, (too smart to die).
# Majority Leader Dick Armey – avoided the draft, did not serve.
# Majority Leader Tom Delay – avoided the draft, did not serve.
# Majority Leader John A. Boehner – did not serve.
# Jack Kemp: did not serve. "Knee problem," although continued in NFL for 8 years.
* G.O.P. Leader Roy Blunt: did not serve.
* Bob Ney: did not serve.
* David Dreier: did not serve.
# JC Watts: did not serve.
# Vin Weber: did not serve.
# Bob Barr: did not serve.
# Katherine Harris: did not serve. .
# Mitt Romney, former governor of Massachusetts, and since presidential candidate: did not serve.
# Marc F. Racicot, former Montana governor and attorney general, Bush reelection chairman and former head of the Republican National Committee
# Don Rumsfeld: served in Navy (1954-57) as flight instructor.
# Kenneth Starr : sought deferment (for psoriasis).
# Bill Bennett : sought graduate school deferment, (too smart to die).
# Ted Olson, (Starr's assistant, and since Solictor General)

Neocons:

* Karl Rove: did not serve.
* Paul Wolfowitz: did not serve.
* Richard Perle: did not serve.
* Douglas Feith: did not serve.
* Eliot Abrams: did not serve.
* Ari Fleischer: did not serve.
* Andrew Card: did not serve.
# Wayne LaPierre did not serve.
# Frank J. Gaffney, Jr. did not serve.
# John Bolton: did not serve.
# Rudy Giuliani: did not serve.
# George Pataki: did not serve.

* John G. Roberts, Jr.: did not serve.
* Samuel Alito: did not serve.
# Antonin Scalia: did not serve.
# Clarence Thomas: did not serve.

The LIBERAL John Paul Stevens is the only current justice who DID serve full time, (in the Navy during the 3 worst years of WW II), while the moderate Anthony Kennedy was a member of the California Army National Guard for a year (1961).

# Rush Limbaugh – sought deferment (because of a cyst on his tail end).
# (Rush's conservative brother) David Limbaugh: did not serve.
# George Will – sought graduate school deferment, (too smart to die).
# Pat Buchanan – sought deferment (for bad knee).
# Pat Robertson – his US Senator father got him out of Korea as soon as the shooting began.
* Sean Hannity: did not serve.
* Bill O'Reilly: did not serve.
* Matt Drudge: did not serve.
* Steve Forbes: did not serve.
* Tony Snow: did not serve.
* Michael "Savage" Weiner: did not serve.
* Brit Hume: did not serve.
* Roger Ailes: did not serve.
* Neil Boortz : did not serve.
# Paul Gigot: did not serve.
# Bill Kristol: did not serve.
# Ralph Reed: did not serve.
# Michael Medved: did not serve.
# Charlie Daniels: did not serve.
# Anne Coulter: did not serve.
# Jerry Falwell: did not serve.
# Alan Keyes : did not serve.
# Ted Nugent: did not serve.

Last edited:
Kind of a onesided partisan link wouldn't you, admit?
I'm sure it didn't have the total head counts or the total count of who didn't serve. :eusa_whistle:

Well, give us something better. My link is a good starting point.

no link is better than a link like that. it's only there to make one side look bad and the other side look good through half truths. hacks like you are the only ones who would stoop that low, lakhota. :clap2:

Excuse me. You're obviously a wingnut.

Forum List

Back