Why did TV show producers and viewers lose interest in space themed sci fi in the early 2010s?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I remember right after BSG ended in 2009 TV show producers lost interest in making anything set in space until just recently.
What happened? Did space lose it's sense of wonder? Did we become more cynical of humanity's future? Did we become more interested in wealth and materialism? I remember reality shows dominating this time period.

Were superheroes, zombies, and medieval fantasy much more relatable?

Is there room for more than one pop culture phenomenon? If there was a space sci fi show that was on the level of quality of Game of Thrones or TWD would it have a chance to become as big as those shows or is space sci fi simply too "weird" or too "unrelatable" for the mainstream?

Could a show based on KSR's "Mars Trilogy" be a hit with the mainstream if it was of prestige TV quality? Elon Musk's SpaceX as well as movies like "The Martian" have showed there is a lot of interest for Mars.

How about Iain M. Bank's Culture? Is the mainstream ready for a sci fi universe that crazy?

We need optimistic space adventure without rubber suited aliens.

Goes in cycles

Westerns, detectives, rural sitcoms, space, etc etc

Goes in cycles

Westerns, detectives, rural sitcoms, space, etc etc

Let's hope sitcoms are gone forever.

my-mother-the-car.jpg

Last edited:
I remember right after BSG ended in 2009 TV show producers lost interest in making anything set in space until just recently.
What happened? Did space lose it's sense of wonder? Did we become more cynical of humanity's future? Did we become more interested in wealth and materialism? I remember reality shows dominating this time period.

Were superheroes, zombies, and medieval fantasy much more relatable?

Is there room for more than one pop culture phenomenon? If there was a space sci fi show that was on the level of quality of Game of Thrones or TWD would it have a chance to become as big as those shows or is space sci fi simply too "weird" or too "unrelatable" for the mainstream?

Could a show based on KSR's "Mars Trilogy" be a hit with the mainstream if it was of prestige TV quality? Elon Musk's SpaceX as well as movies like "The Martian" have showed there is a lot of interest for Mars.

How about Iain M. Bank's Culture? Is the mainstream ready for a sci fi universe that crazy?

We need optimistic space adventure without rubber suited aliens.
space stuff costs a lot due to the effects and sets...a cheap ass reality show gets the same ratings

Forum List

Back