Why did the left denigrate Dan Qs NG service

Thousands of National Guardsmen served in Vietnam and the names of more than a few are engraved on the Vietnam Memorial wall. Those who signed up for the Guard before their draft numbers came up did not remove themselves from the risk of active duty but did prepare themselves for that eventuality while completing college or whatever other project they had going. And there were ample vacancies in the Guard too not requiring any 'high level' intervention to sign up for the Guard in most units. Certainly not everybody or even most guardsmen were from privileged families.

It is even worse for the National Guard in Iraq and Afghanistan with a much higher deployment rate and a much higher casualty rate.

The National Guard is a perfectly honorable and legitimate way to choose to serve your country when you have no interest in a military career.

Thousands of National Guardsmen served in Vietnam and the names of more than a few are engraved on the Vietnam Memorial wall. Those who signed up for the Guard before their draft numbers came up did not remove themselves from the risk of active duty but did prepare themselves for that eventuality while completing college or whatever other project they had going. And there were ample vacancies in the Guard too not requiring any 'high level' intervention to sign up for the Guard in most units. Certainly not everybody or even most guardsmen were from privileged families.

It is even worse for the National Guard in Iraq and Afghanistan with a much higher deployment rate and a much higher casualty rate.

The National Guard is a perfectly honorable and legitimate way to choose to serve your country when you have no interest in a military career.

I don't understand it, they keep deploying and redeploying the same people into the hotzones. Back during Vietnam, you went once and your time was over, you survived that once and you were safe. Not anymore. I can't see why anyone would willingly go into the service today. So many benefits have been taken away and their lives are at much higher risk than ever before.

The fact remains that Kerry served in combat in Viet Nam, and his service to the country was denigrated. I note that none of the swift boaters actually served with him and the ones who actually did campaigned for him. The swift boat group was just a well funded smear group.

Max Cleland was smeared several times by the right. He was referred to as the Democrat's favorite victim. He was accused of blowing himself up in order to drink beer.

Max Cleland and John Kerry are just two famous examples. There are others. The right is just as guilty as the left.

The fact remains is Kerry tossed his medals and took sides with Hanoi Jane, asslips. Thousands of our guys got killed because of their state-side stupidity.

Fact.

Suck on it.

Hey Warrior, where did you serve? You remind me of a buddy I had in the Navy. We called him Fucking Harry Fucking O'Rourke. Loved the guy, but he was the most profane guy I ever met.

BTW, suck my dick!

I don't understand it, they keep deploying and redeploying the same people into the hotzones. Back during Vietnam, you went once and your time was over, you survived that once and you were safe. Not anymore. I can't see why anyone would willingly go into the service today. So many benefits have been taken away and their lives are at much higher risk than ever before.

Yup. I have a nephew in the Guard who has been deployed twice now and is at risk of having to go again. Mr. Foxfyre's unit was on the bubble so many times to be called up. It never was, but we could not make any firm long term plans because we just knew he would be called to active duty at any time. And while I work with Wounded Warriors and otherwise 'mother' our servicemen and women, all of whom I adore and support implicitly, no way I would counsel a young person to go into the military right now without full disclosure of the downside.

The fact remains that Kerry served in combat in Viet Nam, and his service to the country was denigrated. I note that none of the swift boaters actually served with him and the ones who actually did campaigned for him. The swift boat group was just a well funded smear group.

Max Cleland was smeared several times by the right. He was referred to as the Democrat's favorite victim. He was accused of blowing himself up in order to drink beer.

Max Cleland and John Kerry are just two famous examples. There are others. The right is just as guilty as the left.

The fact remains is Kerry tossed his medals and took sides with Hanoi Jane, asslips. Thousands of our guys got killed because of their state-side stupidity.

Fact.

Suck on it.

Hey Warrior, where did you serve? You remind me of a buddy I had in the Navy. We called him Fucking Harry Fucking O'Rourke. Loved the guy, but he was the most profane guy I ever met.

BTW, suck my dick!

I served mainly on ships out of Norfolk, on Med cruises. One tour in Japan, a couple stateside assignments.

How about you, skidmark?

Fact.

Suck on it.

BTW, suck my dick!

I served mainly on ships out of Norfolk, on Med cruises. One tour in Japan, a couple stateside assignments.

How about you, skidmark?

I was an Airdale. Served on the America and the Eisenhower with Fighter Squadron 142. Did a couple Med cruises and floated around the Indian Ocean while the Iranians had the hostages. We got there a couple days after the Nimitz launched the failed rescue attempt. When I wasn't at sea, I was mostly at NAS Oceana, dicklips.

BTW, suck my dick!

How about you, skidmark?

I was an Airdale. Served on the America and the Eisenhower with Fighter Squadron 142. Did a couple Med cruises and floated around the Indian Ocean while the Iranians had the hostages. We got there a couple days after the Nimitz launched the failed rescue attempt. When I wasn't at sea, I was mostly at NAS Oceana, dicklips.

Oh, an Airdale. My condolences. When you guys were inport, we really appreciated all those blowjobs you gave behind the dumpsters on Pier 12. Thanks for your service to the fleet, dickwad.

How about you, skidmark?

Oh, an Airdale. My condolences. When you guys were inport, we really appreciated all those blowjobs you gave behind the dumpsters on Pier 12. Thanks for your service to the fleet, dickwad.

Nah, I was a 2nd class. I rotated out of dumpster duty very early in my career. Thanks for your service too, fuckface.
:beer:

Leave Dan the hell alone. I was in the TEXARNG for 6 years, 3 of them is what we called the ready reserve. I had to be ready to deploy in 48 hours. We volunteered and were ready to serve that is a lot more than the a lot of the presidents we have had including the current one. Find something else to complain about.

You can get away with anything if you have the entire left wing media in your back pocket. The left actually got away with denigrating George H. Bush when he ran against a draft dodger. The dirty tricks democrats created something they called a "wimp factor" even though Bush Sr. was a WW2 hero and used it to camouflage the fact that Bubba Bill was a degenerate rapist and a draft dodger.

Leave Dan the hell alone. I was in the TEXARNG for 6 years, 3 of them is what we called the ready reserve. I had to be ready to deploy in 48 hours. We volunteered and were ready to serve that is a lot more than the a lot of the presidents we have had including the current one. Find something else to complain about.

Actually, who is complaining about Quayle now? Until I read this thread, I don't think I heard about Him in 20 years. About the only thing I remember about him was his misspelling "potato" and a couple gaffes about Murphy Brown and saying a few gems like these:

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child."

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared.'"

did I miss something?

Was there something wrong about what he did?

Only that he, like Bush, used family influence to move to the head of the queue, to avoid the draft and going to Vietnam. This is from memory, but I recall only two groups of NG units deploying, and that was in a support role.

[ ... ]

Smearing is in the minds eye of the beholder, and this OP is about military service not ordinary political mud slinging. What smear did the right perpetrate against Cleland that dishonored his military service?

He was not accused of blowing himself up in order to drink beer; please show a credible link on that. It's so much easier to tell the truth, that he lost limbs when a fellow soldier in a noncombat situation accidentally dropped a grenade near him. Maybe you're mixing Cleland with Kerry who injured himself when he threw a concussion grenade into a rice pile, something he admitted to later.

[ ... ]

Smearing is in the minds eye of the beholder, and this OP is about military service not ordinary political mud slinging. What smear did the right perpetrate against Cleland that dishonored his military service?

He was not accused of blowing himself up in order to drink beer; please show a credible link on that. It's so much easier to tell the truth, that he lost limbs when a fellow soldier in a noncombat situation accidentally dropped a grenade near him. Maybe you're mixing Cleland with Kerry who injured himself when he threw a concussion grenade into a rice pile, something he admitted to later.

Nah, just looked it up. It was a typical Ann Coulter hit piece. Not sure how most righties perceive her. I don't view her as a serious commentator. Not sure how many picked up her crap and ran with it, but doesn't look say much for whoever did.

Whatever. They may or may not have been heroes, but they served and made sacrifices in service of their country. They didn't deserve to have their service denigrated or their patriotism called into question.

Forum List

Back