Why did the left denigrate Dan Qs NG service

DQ played by the rules.

Tell member s of the Indiana NG that he cut and ran.

did I miss something?

Was there something wrong about what he did?

Um, yeah.

The fact was, the whole concept of the National Guard was corrupted during that period.

INstead of being a reserve of the active component, it became a place to hide out from the draft, and the privilaged and wealthy were the ones who hid out there.

So why some poor kid got sent to the rice paddies of Southeast Asia, Dan got to pretend he was fixing trucks.

DQ played by the rules.

Tell member s of the Indiana NG that he cut and ran.

Most people who were in the guard after that time period knew the system was abused.

I had a Sgt. in my IL guard unit who joined up at a time when recruiters were bribed to secure slots for people in the early 1970's.

And when the draft ended, those people got out of the National Guard in droves. The Guard didn't really recover until the 1980's with the Reagan military buildup..

Quayle and Bush served in the NG and Clinton fled.

No, Clinton declared himself a contientious objector, but his number didn't come up when they tried to make the system more fair and instituted a lottery.

Still, I give Bush and Quayle (both of whom I liked and voted for) more credit than Romney, who avoided any kind of military service while supporting the war.

did I miss something?

Um, yeah.

The fact was, the whole concept of the National Guard was corrupted during that period.

INstead of being a reserve of the active component, it became a place to hide out from the draft, and the privilaged and wealthy were the ones who hid out there.

So why some poor kid got sent to the rice paddies of Southeast Asia, Dan got to pretend he was fixing trucks.

How'd Joe Biden do?

No, Clinton declared himself a contientious objector, but his number didn't come up when they tried to make the system more fair and instituted a lottery.

Still, I give Bush and Quayle (both of whom I liked and voted for) more credit than Romney, who avoided any kind of military service while supporting the war.

BTW - Where/when did eligible Joe Biden serve? Any photos of him in rice paddies?

Probably fucking not - but oh well. Thought I'd ask.

Probably deferred as an idiot.

did I miss something?

Link?

No, nothing wrong with serving in the NG. You swear the oath and wear the uniform like any other serviceman.

Why did the right denigrate Kerry's service in Viet Nam? Why did the right compare Max Cleland, who lost limbs in the service of his country, to Osama Bin Laden?

BTW - Where/when did eligible Joe Biden serve? Any photos of him in rice paddies?

Probably fucking not - but oh well. Thought I'd ask.

Probably deferred as an idiot.

Do you actually care about an answer, or do you think the usual "I'll deflect from my draft dodgers by pointing out your draft dodgers" is an actual argument?

Biden's draft deferments equal Cheney's during Vietnam War - Washington Times

“As a result of a physical exam on April 5, 1968, Joe Biden was classified 1-Y and disqualified from service because of asthma as a teenager,” said David Wade, a campaign spokesman.

In short, he was in that gray area between 1A and 4F where he was maybe healthy enough if the military was desperate for bodies, which it wasn't.

More to the point, his first classification came in 1961 as a 2-S, the same thing Cheney got at the same time.

And here lies the problem with Draft Ratings. The military only wanted guys they could mold. Cheney and Biden were men in their mid-20s. Guys who might say "wait a minute" when you say, "Go take that hill!"

Oh, for the happy day when the Vietnam War is finally over, which is when the last person born after 1973 kicks the bucket.

P
did I miss something?

Link?

No, nothing wrong with serving in the NG. You swear the oath and wear the uniform like any other serviceman.

Why did the right denigrate Kerry's service in Viet Nam? Why did the right compare Max Cleland, who lost limbs in the service of his country, to Osama Bin Laden?
it wasn't the "right" it was a campaign add aired by Sax Chamblis that was the source of that characterization, and Bill Clinton perpetrated that characterization out of whole cloth. Here is a link with a THAT particular video and the actual cases in which Bill Clinton made his misrepresentation of same video.
Read the Bill Clinton set-up then watch the video.

Bill Clinton Keeps Lying About Max Cleland Ad | Sweetness & Light

As for Kerry:
To bolster their accusations that Kerry misrepresented slight injuries to win Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, the vets cite a March 13, 1969, incident for which the young lieutenant was decorated.

Two injuries – a small bruise on his right arm and a minor injury to his buttocks – won Kerry his Third Purple Heart and a trip home. However, the vets say, the wound to his buttocks was self-inflicted and should never have received Purple Heart consideration.

While Kerry claims the injury came from shrapnel from an underwater mine, Larry Thurlow, an officer on shore with Kerry that day, insists the wound was the result of Kerry’s decision to throw a concussion grenade into a rice pile. The “shrapnel,” he says, was actually rice pellets.As further evidence, the vets say, Kerry himself reflected in his own journal that his buttocks’ wound came, not from a mine but, rather, from a grenade tossed into a rice cache.
Sworn statements of those present say there was no hostile fire involved in this incident for which Kerry received his third Purple Heart and the coveted Bronze Star.

“The conclusion is inescapable: that Kerry lied by reporting to the Navy that he had been wounded by shrapnel in his backside from an enemy mine when in reality he negligently wounded himself and then lied about the wound in order to secure a third Purple Heart and a quick trip home,” reads the letter.
The letter continues: “Kerry’s operating report, Bronze Star story, and subsequent ‘no man left behind’ story are a total hoax on the Navy and the nation,” they say.

As to the daring rescue discussed in the documentary video shown to the nation at the Democratic convention, the vets say the rescue was well under way under the leadership of others when Kerry returned to the scene where Special Forces soldier Jim Rassman was plucked out of the water. Eyewitnesses have signed affidavits explaining when Kerry returned, there was no more hostile fire. He just merely leaned over the boat and assisted Rassman out of the water.

Swift Boat Vets for Truth claims a membership of 254 sailors from Coastal Squadron One, ranging from vice admirals to seamen. They claim 16 of the 23 surviving officers who served with Kerry in swift boats in Vietnam and who could be found have joined

P
did I miss something?

Link?

it wasn't the "right" it was a campaign add aired by Sax Chamblis that was the source of that characterization, and Bill Clinton perpetrated that characterization out of whole cloth. Here is a link with a THAT particular video and the actual cases in which Bill Clinton made his misrepresentation of same video.
Read the Bill Clinton set-up then watch the video.

Bill Clinton Keeps Lying About Max Cleland Ad | Sweetness & Light

As for Kerry:
To bolster their accusations that Kerry misrepresented slight injuries to win Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, the vets cite a March 13, 1969, incident for which the young lieutenant was decorated.

Two injuries – a small bruise on his right arm and a minor injury to his buttocks – won Kerry his Third Purple Heart and a trip home. However, the vets say, the wound to his buttocks was self-inflicted and should never have received Purple Heart consideration.

While Kerry claims the injury came from shrapnel from an underwater mine, Larry Thurlow, an officer on shore with Kerry that day, insists the wound was the result of Kerry’s decision to throw a concussion grenade into a rice pile. The “shrapnel,” he says, was actually rice pellets.As further evidence, the vets say, Kerry himself reflected in his own journal that his buttocks’ wound came, not from a mine but, rather, from a grenade tossed into a rice cache.
Sworn statements of those present say there was no hostile fire involved in this incident for which Kerry received his third Purple Heart and the coveted Bronze Star.

“The conclusion is inescapable: that Kerry lied by reporting to the Navy that he had been wounded by shrapnel in his backside from an enemy mine when in reality he negligently wounded himself and then lied about the wound in order to secure a third Purple Heart and a quick trip home,” reads the letter.
The letter continues: “Kerry’s operating report, Bronze Star story, and subsequent ‘no man left behind’ story are a total hoax on the Navy and the nation,” they say.

As to the daring rescue discussed in the documentary video shown to the nation at the Democratic convention, the vets say the rescue was well under way under the leadership of others when Kerry returned to the scene where Special Forces soldier Jim Rassman was plucked out of the water. Eyewitnesses have signed affidavits explaining when Kerry returned, there was no more hostile fire. He just merely leaned over the boat and assisted Rassman out of the water.

Swift Boat Vets for Truth claims a membership of 254 sailors from Coastal Squadron One, ranging from vice admirals to seamen. They claim 16 of the 23 surviving officers who served with Kerry in swift boats in Vietnam and who could be found have joined

The fact remains that Kerry served in combat in Viet Nam, and his service to the country was denigrated. I note that none of the swift boaters actually served with him and the ones who actually did campaigned for him. The swift boat group was just a well funded smear group.

Max Cleland was smeared several times by the right. He was referred to as the Democrat's favorite victim. He was accused of blowing himself up in order to drink beer.

Max Cleland and John Kerry are just two famous examples. There are others. The right is just as guilty as the left.

The fact remains that Kerry served in combat in Viet Nam, and his service to the country was denigrated. I note that none of the swift boaters actually served with him and the ones who actually did campaigned for him. The swift boat group was just a well funded smear group.

Max Cleland was smeared several times by the right. He was referred to as the Democrat's favorite victim. He was accused of blowing himself up in order to drink beer.

Max Cleland and John Kerry are just two famous examples. There are others. The right is just as guilty as the left.

The fact remains is Kerry tossed his medals and took sides with Hanoi Jane, asslips. Thousands of our guys got killed because of their state-side stupidity.

Fact.

Suck on it.

Forum List

Back