Why did Reagan Administration grant tax-free religious status to Scientology?

Nancy was into astrology so we are lucky the Reagan's only changed scientology into a religion, they could have easily changed astrology too, and worse, as anyone with half a brain can see both have ology as a word ending so it would have been easy to change both into sciences. If they had changed both into sciences all the school textbooks would probably have to be changed.

Because the constitution does not give the federal government the power to define religion?

Even by your standards this is a failure, you should ask the mods to delete it.

Seems to me that the only reason this is called a religion is precisely because the Federal government gave it's blessing to be considered one, by granting tax-free status.

Why am I wrong?
*bumpity-bump-bump* for QW.

Are you saying no one called it a religion before the IRS said it was a religion? The Church of Scientology was started in 1954, why call it a church if it isn't a religion?

Why did Reagan Administration grant tax-free religious status to Scientology?

Because he is the greatest president ever!

Seems to me that the only reason this is called a religion is precisely because the Federal government gave it's blessing to be considered one, by granting tax-free status.

Why am I wrong?

Are you saying no one called it a religion before the IRS said it was a religion? The Church of Scientology was started in 1954, why call it a church if it isn't a religion?

It's a religion like the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a religion. Scientology to make money and protect itself from taxes and the latter as a spoof. Any other resemblance to what is normally called religion is just for show.

1341391537209.cached.jpg

Ex-Scientologists say the church uses blackmail and threats to keep people in the fold. Even when you manage to get out, deprogramming your brain can take years.

Katie Might Be Able to Leave Tom—but Divorcing Scientology Won’t Be Easy

It was reported at the time that the meeting between administration officials and Scientology officials lasted as little as 10 minutes.

Why would Reagan grant tax-free status to a bunch of kooks?

I'm trying to figure out what the heck your talking about.

Scientology was not granted tax free status or any settlement by the IRS until 1993 under Bill Clinton:

The Church of Scientology paid the federal government $12.5 million as part of a broad 1993 settlement with the Internal Revenue Service under which the church's main branch secured its tax-exempt status.

According to a copy of the settlement, details of which have never before been made public, the church also agreed to set up a special "church tax-compliance committee," composed of high-level church officials, to monitor its adherence to the pact and to laws governing nonprofit organizations.

Further, the church agreed to drop thousands of lawsuits filed against the IRS in courts around the country and to stop assisting people or groups suing the agency based upon claims prior to Oct. 1, 1993, the settlement date. Any Scientology member or organization that sues based on those claims could face IRS penalties.

The 1993 agreement was nearly unprecedented and brought an end to an extraordinary battle. Starting in 1967, the IRS had argued that the main Scientology church should lose its tax-exempt status because it was a for-profit business that enriched church officials. The church's response was an all-out attack: filing suits against the IRS, feeding negative stories about the agency to news organizations, and supporting IRS whistle-blowers.

Scientologists and IRS settled for $12.5 million - 30 Dec 1997

It's a religion like the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a religion. Scientology to make money and protect itself from taxes and the latter as a spoof. Any other resemblance to what is normally called religion is just for show.

I agree, but it is not the government's job to determine if a belief is legitimate or not.

It was reported at the time that the meeting between administration officials and Scientology officials lasted as little as 10 minutes.

because we don't get to decide what is a religion and what isn't?

don't get me wrong... i've never figured out why anyone follows a 'religion' supposedly based on being a psychological 'clear' that was started by a science fiction writer who killed himself.

never quite made sense to me.

Legally; it is a legitimate religion. Do you have anything to say otherwise?

i would think a "religion" has to have a God or Gods to worship....who do these guys worship.....L.Ron Hubbard?....hey just askin....

There is not a requirement for a God or Gods to be a religion.

Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

Daoism is a good example of a Godless religion.

so if i worship money.....i should be exempt from taxes.....right?....

Why am I wrong?

Are you saying no one called it a religion before the IRS said it was a religion?

Yes. I am saying that only the members of the CoS called it a religion.

There are reams of evidence that everyone else called it a commercial enterprise.

The Church of Scientology was started in 1954, why call it a church if it isn't a religion?

For the obvious financial benefits and advantages, of course.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;5566125 said:

Scientology was not granted tax free status or any settlement by the IRS until 1993 under Bill Clinton:

The Church of Scientology paid the federal government $12.5 million as part of a broad 1993 settlement with the Internal Revenue Service under which the church's main branch secured its tax-exempt status.

According to a copy of the settlement, details of which have never before been made public, the church also agreed to set up a special "church tax-compliance committee," composed of high-level church officials, to monitor its adherence to the pact and to laws governing nonprofit organizations.

Further, the church agreed to drop thousands of lawsuits filed against the IRS in courts around the country and to stop assisting people or groups suing the agency based upon claims prior to Oct. 1, 1993, the settlement date. Any Scientology member or organization that sues based on those claims could face IRS penalties.

The 1993 agreement was nearly unprecedented and brought an end to an extraordinary battle. Starting in 1967, the IRS had argued that the main Scientology church should lose its tax-exempt status because it was a for-profit business that enriched church officials. The church's response was an all-out attack: filing suits against the IRS, feeding negative stories about the agency to news organizations, and supporting IRS whistle-blowers.

It was a long process. It started with the battles with the IRS in the 1970s, escalated under Reagan, then they were finally given tax-free status under Bush's IRS Commissioner Goldberg. After all the details were worked out pertaining to the numerous lawsuits filed by the CoS against the IRS, their agreement was finally made public in 1993. It took another 4 years for the settlement you linked to.

I agree, but it is not the government's job to determine if a belief is legitimate or not.
Different subject. Belief is different from an organized, tax-exempt religion.

because we don't get to decide what is a religion and what isn't?

don't get me wrong... i've never figured out why anyone follows a 'religion' supposedly based on being a psychological 'clear' that was started by a science fiction writer who killed himself.

never quite made sense to me.

Apparently the government does. And by doing so, they violate the establishment clause by favoring some "religions" over others.

So the question I keep asking: what makes one religion worthy of government approval over another?

i would think a "religion" has to have a God or Gods to worship....who do these guys worship.....L.Ron Hubbard?....hey just askin....

There is not a requirement for a God or Gods to be a religion.

Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

Daoism is a good example of a Godless religion.

so if i worship money.....i should be exempt from taxes.....right?....
Zander could be your Prophet!

#1. Sarah and Todd Palin: Scientologists

Best Known For: Snow "Machining"; skinning moose; incredibly modest political aspirations.

Why We Think They'll Be Next:

The Palins are obviously familiar with crazy ass conspiracy theory-type organizations. For 7 years Todd was a card-carrying member of a political group that wanted Alaska to secede from the United States (to be fair, we'd let them go, but they've got all our oil and crystal meth). Sarah Palin's pretty good at denying things--climate change, dinosaurs--so refuting she's a Scientologist should come pretty naturally. And finally, they name their children like they're already Scientologists. "Piper Indy and Trigger, meet Pilot Inspektor and Cosimo Henry. We imagine you guys have a lot to talk about."

One of Sarah Palin's top advisors, and allegedly the secret driving force behind her "SarahPAC" (the organization dedicated to Palin's future presidential ambitions), is none other than John "Top Operating Thetan Level" Coale, Scientologist attack-lawyer and husband of Fox news anchor Greta Van Susteren. Recently Van Susteren was seen squiring Todd Palin to some of Washington D.C.'s most exclusive brunches and munches, though notably preventing anyone from actually, you know, talking to him.

However, she bristled at accusations she was acting as his "handler." On her blog, she wrote "I did not bring a guest to be interviewed or grilled by the press...I brought the guest so the guest could meet people and have a good social time." This was after she blew her reptilian neck-flaps out like a rabid Gila monster at anyone trying to say "hi" to the dude.

We're even more convinced the Palins have known the loving touch of an e-meter after reading the memo John Coale wrote laying out an intricate gameplan for the Church of Scientology to cultivate politicians SPECIFICALLY through the kind of Political Action Committee he's set up for Sarah Palin.

palin3.jpg

It further outlines how to get around the legal aspects of a tax-exempt "church" trying to influence political policy-makers, as well as specifying support should only go to candidates for federal office, such as President, Vice-President and members of Congress. Which gets more interesting when you find out John Coale was a vehement Hillary Clinton supporter right up until the very second she lost the Democratic Presidential nomination, whereupon he immediately switched his loyalties to Sarah Palin.

Maybe--unlike most/some/please stop suing us, Scientologists--he just likes chicks. Or perhaps, as the incredibly attractive Van Susteren (we're begging you, we've only got the one dog left), insists, the families are "simply good friends," what with all the softball, foot-rubbing interviews she gave the Palin family on Fox News over the past couple months.

But Todd and Sarah strike us as the type of weak-minded public figures that have L. Ron Hubbard jerking off in his grave. Or maybe they're just weak-minded like a fox, and realize if anyone's gonna get Sarah elected president, it's a bunch of rich, influential, functionally retarded celebrities who think we all used to exist in past lives as aliens living in societies called space operas. (Note: The only reason we provided a link is because we can no longer tell the difference between the pigshit-insane things Scientologists actually believe in and the exaggerated fake beliefs we make up when we're mocking them.)

Scientology's 5 Newest Celebrity Recruits | Cracked.com

CaféAuLait;5566125 said:

It was a long process. It started with the battles with the IRS in the 1970s, escalated under Reagan, then they were finally given tax-free status under Bush's IRS Commissioner Goldberg. After all the details were worked out pertaining to the numerous lawsuits filed by the CoS against the IRS, their agreement was finally made public in 1993. It took another 4 years for the settlement you linked to.

The aricle I linked to says the settlement date and the date they were granted Tax Exempt status was 1993, which was under Clinton.

It makes no difference to me though, not like the president has any say in the matter. Look at the Church of Body Modification. Are we to condemn whatever president was sitting when they got their status?

Scientology is a strange 'religion' though and it seems from what I have read they put pressure, threaten and any number of other things to get what they want. I read up on them with several other cults some time back.

Are you saying no one called it a religion before the IRS said it was a religion?

Yes. I am saying that only the members of the CoS called it a religion.

There are reams of evidence that everyone else called it a commercial enterprise.

The Church of Scientology was started in 1954, why call it a church if it isn't a religion?
For the obvious financial benefits and advantages, of course.

I still call it one, but I utterly oppose the government having in say in what makes a religion legitimate.

Forum List

Back