Why did Reagan Administration grant tax-free religious status to Scientology?

Try reading some of the web pages cited before making such an uninformed comment. For evil to triumph all it takes is for good people to do nothing.

I did. Im not impressed. Congress shall make no law means exactly that.

Congress DID make a law respecting religious institutions. It's called the IRS taxcode. It's the standard by which organizations qualify as religions.

How about if there was no exemptions for religious institutions and instead religious organizations would have to qualify for tax exemption as charitable organizations?

That would be a good measure of whether they were actual valid religions or just money making scams, now wouldn't it?

They DO qualify for tax exemptions as charitable organizations, you dipshit. Christ, have you even READ the tax code you're presuming to talk about?

I did. Im not impressed. Congress shall make no law means exactly that.

Not impressed? Not evil enough for you? What does it take? Remember, it's NOT about their beliefs.

Freedom allows people to do both good and evil. The Government should never have the authority to determine what is a religion and what is not. If they do that, the First Amendment is meaningless.

The government DOES have the authority to determine if laws are being broken and whether religion is being used as a cover for criminality. Are you saying we have no right to investigate charges of pedophilia by Catholic priests? I simply can't understand your continuing to go back to freedom of religion, when that isn't the question at all. Criminality IS!

Then explain it, instead of just being a douche bag.

No, I cannot explain it to you. Because your entire deranged perception is being shot to shit with your mindless hatred and bigotry.

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Muddle on something. Holy crap, maybe 2012 IS the year of the Apocalypse!

Do some reading. This isn't about freedom of religion at all. The mindless posting I've encountered from supposedly open-minded people is just amazing. What's the point about continually going back to a conceded point, in the face of testimony from so many ex-CoS members? They can't all be lying, can they? It's like some are either cluelessly or perhaps purposefully giving cover to a criminal organization. Why? What's the harm in doing some research, as opposed to posting knee jerk "freedom of religion" messages?

There's no need to bring Catholicism into this.

Another douche bag comment. Easier than reading and learning something, I guess! :dunno:

You're right, it is a douche bag comment. It's an application of your very own mode of reasoning in all of this. So we see now that you are in fact being nothing but a douche bag.

Reading up on a topic before posting is being a douche bag? Well, then I'm guilty.

From where did you get this nonsense?

Reagain did not grant tax-exempt status to Scientology.

They did not gain that status until 1993.
Try to keep up, Slingblade.

Please provide evidence Reagan granted Scientology tax exempt status.

Reagan didn't.

They were given tax exempt status in 1993 and the law suit was settled in 1997. As I recall, Bill Clinton was President from 1993 until 2001.

He can't hear you. He is wearing his Making Shit Up earplugs.

For the comprehension-challenged:

CLICK THIS AND READ

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...igious-status-to-scientology.html#post5562154

Reagan is dead just like you Andy Griffith.
Maybe not!

zombie-reagan.jpg

Same reason you're ALWAYS wrong: because you're an ignorant mouthbreather.

Scientology is called a religion because it is one. It doesn't need the federal government's approval - or yours, however much you seem to believe every fucking thing on the planet requires your vote on it - to be what its practitioners believe. It only needs the federal government's approval to not pay taxes, and shocking as it may seem to shallow-minded twits like you, the definition of "religon" is NOT "doesn't pay federal taxes".

I realize that you are an idiot (and am also realizing that you are a Scientologist), so you can be excused for not understanding the question, which is:

Why was Scientology given tax-exempt status?

I realize you are a proto-idiot, and therefore cannot recognize answers when they are given to you fifteen times unless they are what you want to hear. Nevertheless, the answer is not going to be "because Ronald Reagan and the evil Republicans entered into a sinister back-room deal with the Scientologists" no matter HOW many times you stick your fingers in your ears and shout, "Lalala, WHY WHY WHY, lala!" The answer is still, and always, BECAUSE THEY MET THE LEGAL REQUIREMENTS.

And FYI, you can send me "You're so stupid" neg reps for refusing to do your research for you until your face turns blue, but my answer is STILL going to be "look it up for yourself, asswipe". You have no business commenting on the tax-exempt status of churches when you're too big a pissbrain to even find out how such a thing is acquired, and your little neg-rep tantrum just makes me laugh at you even harder.

The correct website is STILL IRS.gov, and you're still a lazy-ass, sniveling nancyboy.

Hey, here's an idea: why don't you make yourself look REALLY brilliant and ask me again why the Church of Scientology has tax-exempt status? :lol:

negged for whining.

Like all tax laws, tax-exemption is available to anyone who wishes to meet the requirements for it. This will probably amaze you, but many religious groups DON'T WANT government recognition, and don't feel the need for it. I realize that leftists, in their veneration of all things government, will never grasp that fact, but it's true.

There is no "favoritism" in the IRS's tax-exemption codes. They are accessible by anyone who wants to access them, they aren't all that particularly hard to meet (that's "not hard" by tax regulation standards, of course), and they are applied in exactly the same way to everyone who applies for them.

Which is...what?

You're not very good at this, are you? :lol:

Actually, I'm very good at telling ignorant, tantruming children to do their own homework repeatedly, which is why you've gotten the same answer every time: LOOK IT UP FOR YOURSELF, TWATBOY.

S'matter, punkin? Trying to kill your own thread so you can forget how stupid you've made yourself look?
Your mouth made a statement that your ass can't back up. :lol:

You are not good at this at all!
no.gif

Not jumping through your hoops. I've provided plenty of cites to what ex-Scientologists have said. They know better than me. Read what they have to say. They can't all be lying. If there's a dodge going on, it's your attempt to suppress any mention of CoS. Why would that be? :eusa_think:
Just what I thought you are pathetic.

Your posts are no more than an overt attempt to create static on the board. You need to confront your prejudices and achieve a tone where you're not constantly trying to suppress others. Review your own thinking process. It's definitely downscale.

Amazing how pathetic you are ....Cant back up anything you say so all you do is attack like a child....Bigots like you just wallow in ignorance.

Not jumping through your hoops. I've provided plenty of cites to what ex-Scientologists have said. They know better than me. Read what they have to say. They can't all be lying. If there's a dodge going on, it's your attempt to suppress any mention of CoS. Why would that be? :eusa_think:
Just what I thought you are pathetic.
You must be a Scientologist. :lol:

Actually no I am not I just need to show everyone what you progressives are really all about and that's bigotry , hate and lies.

No, but he fired all the air traffic controllers who went on strike. 1981! Union busting at it's best. :D

it may have seemed that way Willow.....but those guys signed a paper just like i did.....if you strike,you just may lose your job....well they struck and they lost their jobs.......they knew the probable consequences.....

If I remember correctly, air traffic controllers are government employees. Government employees are barred by law from going on strike. I know way back when I worked for the Post Office, the APWU was quite clear on that being absolutely out of the question in any contract negotiation.
Which begs the question of why the fuck do they need a union anyway since they cant strike????

I am wondering why OP is so stupid he cant realize the whole thread was invalidated when it was proven it was a lie.....Seeing as it was Clinton who seemed to have given the church its tax status.

Of course that never stopped bigoted progressives from spreading a lie before.

I realize that you are an idiot (and am also realizing that you are a Scientologist), so you can be excused for not understanding the question, which is:

Why was Scientology given tax-exempt status?

I realize you are a proto-idiot, and therefore cannot recognize answers when they are given to you fifteen times unless they are what you want to hear. Nevertheless, the answer is not going to be "because Ronald Reagan and the evil Republicans entered into a sinister back-room deal with the Scientologists" no matter HOW many times you stick your fingers in your ears and shout, "Lalala, WHY WHY WHY, lala!" The answer is still, and always, BECAUSE THEY MET THE LEGAL REQUIREMENTS.

And FYI, you can send me "You're so stupid" neg reps for refusing to do your research for you until your face turns blue, but my answer is STILL going to be "look it up for yourself, asswipe". You have no business commenting on the tax-exempt status of churches when you're too big a pissbrain to even find out how such a thing is acquired, and your little neg-rep tantrum just makes me laugh at you even harder.

The correct website is STILL IRS.gov, and you're still a lazy-ass, sniveling nancyboy.

Hey, here's an idea: why don't you make yourself look REALLY brilliant and ask me again why the Church of Scientology has tax-exempt status? :lol:

negged for whining.

Riiiight, punkin. Do you know how hard you have to work to be able to neg someone twice in one day? But I'M the one whining. Just how pathetically invisible ARE you in real life, that you have to put out that much effort to try to get people on the Internet to notice you? It must really chap your hide that the only thing you can do to feel like you matter makes everyone laugh at you.

"Oooh, Synthaholic negged me for laughing at his earlier neg. THAT'LL put me in my place." Could you be any more of a pitiful adolescent? I can practically hear the zits popping out on your face as I type. :lmao: Hey, maybe if you do it a third time, THAT'LL be the time that I think you're worth pissing on if you catch fire.

God, I love watching you leftists make fools out of yourselves and then snivel and tantrum like that's somehow going to give you a shred of dignity. :lol:

Let's review how brilliant you've been in this thread that you started, shall we? Just so that you can appreciate what a fucking laughingstock to all of humanity you truly are.

"Why would Reagan grant tax-free status to a bunch of kooks?"

And then the very next post you finally deign to put up in your own thread:

"I thought I made a point of saying 'administration'. I didn't claim that presidents decide these things all by their lonesome."

And you spend multiple posts accusing OTHER people of being liars and stupid for believing that you said what you, in fact, said. Not content with how stupid THAT made you look, you THEN started demanding that someone tell you what's contained in the tax code that YOU started a thread about, and then tell us how brilliant it makes YOU to ask, because OTHER people need to prove the self-evident assertion that the Church of Scientology has met the legal requirements for tax-exempt status (self-evident because they HAVE that status, so therefore they must have qualified for it). YOU, for some reason, do not need to prove YOUR assertion that there's something incorrect in the way that they acquired it.

As the piece de resistance, when every bullshit attempt you've made to sound clever is stomped into the ground, you storm around negging people and claiming that THEY'RE whining. You might as well just wave a white flag, Goober, because the beating you just took is another of those self-evident facts.

Done, done, and done. See you at the sight of your next big humiliation, twerp. :badgrin:

Forum List

Back