Why did my supermarket cover the credit card scanner with plastic

Lol. They covered the card scanner to protect it from coronavirus. I wasnt aware that electronics were vulnerable

And I say again. Stupid gone to a level I have not seen in my lifetime. :)

Those little rubber key on the scanner are a perfect place for virus droplets to land and stay. Punch in your pin and then forget to use sanitizer or put your fingers near your face afterwards.
Whoops.

I've done that before. Sometimes when a card reader hasn't been serviced in awhile and the scanning heads get dirty, it's won't read the card. A thin piece of plastic material magically causes the scanner to read it.

Don't ask my or how, I just know this because I've had to do that before.

ETA: Oh, wait. We're talking about two different things here. She covered the whole card scanner.

I can only guess, but I would imagine you have to be careful when spraying cleaner on the keys and such. If liquids get inside, the machine fails and shuts down the line.

But plastic over it means you can still use the buttons, and you can clean it easier.

Lol. They covered the card scanner to protect it from coronavirus. I wasnt aware that electronics were vulnerable
Scanners have deep crevasses and surfaces that are not easily cleaned. Continually spraying them with disinfectants will destroy them. Cover them with a thin plastic sheeting makes them easily cleaned and protects the equipment...

I can only guess, but I would imagine you have to be careful when spraying cleaner on the keys and such. If liquids get inside, the machine fails and shuts down the line.

But plastic over it means you can still use the buttons, and you can clean it easier.
But they are not cleaning in between uses. Home depot is spraying after every use

Scanners have deep crevasses and surfaces that are not easily cleaned. Continually spraying them with disinfectants will destroy them. Cover them with a thin plastic sheeting makes them easily cleaned and protects the equipment...
So electronics are vulnerable to idiots with windex

But they are not cleaning in between uses. Home depot is spraying after every use
Use hand sanitizer after touching them....

What a derp OP. They change the plastic film or wipe down with disinfectant several times a day to help protect YOU.
Responsible grocery stores also are keeping wipes or Purell in the checkout line along with sneeze guards to protect the checkers.
Maybe next time you're at the grocery store, you could volunteer to lick the keypad cover clean to save them the hassle? :rolleyes-41:

The problem with spraying is you have to let the spray dry to effectively attack pathogens.

I carry an unsharpened pencil with me. I use it to push the buttons. That way I am not wasting a pair of gloves for a quick trip to Publix.

Forum List

Back