Why did Jimmy Carter accomplish so little during his 4 years as president?

Sorry, but Carter was one of the weakest and most ineffective presidents in U.S. history. Obama, however, will go down as the worst.

Jimmy Carter was well known as an intellectual egghead, I believe his I.Q was thru the roof. I just started a business during his first term, and it was very bad. Carter just couldn't move on any issue. 10 percent unemployment, 22 percent interest rates. Iran kicked him around for a year and a half, 50 hostages being held. He really was just a lousy President. The worst until now.

Carter didn't cause the mass inflation we were experiencing, and Volker's goal to get it under control stymied the economy. It was something that was going to take some time no matter who was in office. Had Carter been re-elected, the economy would have taken off much as it did under Reagan. All too often we actually believe that a president is the reason for a good or bad economy when in fact, most of the time it is just based on cycles. Government can have some affect on the economy, but more often than not, it just takes time for things to turn around.

Why? Because he was a terrible manager and administrator. He didn't work well with Congress (including his own party), he had a horrible staff and Cabinet, and these things conspired against him as the Iran Hostage Crisis, the energy crisis, and other debacles unraveled during his term. Thank God the majority of voters wised up in 1980!

Last edited:
Sorry, but Carter was one of the weakest and most ineffective presidents in U.S. history. Obama, however, will go down as the worst.

Jimmy Carter was well known as an intellectual egghead, I believe his I.Q was thru the roof. I just started a business during his first term, and it was very bad. Carter just couldn't move on any issue. 10 percent unemployment, 22 percent interest rates. Iran kicked him around for a year and a half, 50 hostages being held. He really was just a lousy President. The worst until now.

Carter didn't cause the mass inflation we were experiencing, and Volker's goal to get it under control stymied the economy. It was something that was going to take some time no matter who was in office. Had Carter been re-elected, the economy would have taken off much as it did under Reagan. All too often we actually believe that a president is the reason for a good or bad economy when in fact, most of the time it is just based on cycles. Government can have some affect on the economy, but more often than not, it just takes time for things to turn around.
Trying to put lipstick on a pig, are we? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Volcker raised interest rates sky high and introduced a deliberate recession to cool inflation (or stagflation).

It was a very bold move and not popular politically.

But it's why the economy took off shortly after Reagan took office.

However unemployment was high as a result. So what did Reagan do? Cut taxes.

That didn't work.

So Reagan raised taxes and started spending like crazy. The government started hiring. And lo and behold, unemployment went down.

It was a "miracle".

:lol:

Why? Because he was a terrible manager and administrator. He didn't work well with Congress (including his own party), he had a horrible staff and Cabinet, and these things conspired against him as the Iran Hostage Crisis, the energy crisis, and other debacles unraveled during his term. Thank God the majority of voters wised up in 1980!

Naw.

Conservatives started to put into to practice what we see now, obstructionism.

Left out of the lore is that Republicans closed down government during the Carter administration as well.

Carter really did stand up to oil companies and that cost him big.

Volcker raised interest rates sky high and introduced a deliberate recession to cool inflation (or stagflation).

That didn't work.

So Reagan raised taxes and started spending like crazy. The government started hiring. And lo and behold, unemployment went down.

It was a "miracle".

Exactly.

Reagan Grew Government More than Any President in My Lifetime

Non Military Government Employees by President

Ronald Reagan
- Started: 2,875,000
- Ended: 3,113,000

Reagan EXPANDED the Federal Workforce by 238,000

Bill Clinton
- Started: 3,083,000
- Ended: 2,703,000

Clinton REDUCED the Federal Workforce by 380,000

George W Bush
- Started: 2,703,000
- Ended: 2,756,000

Bush EXPANDED the Federal Workforce by 53,000

Obama's numbers cannot be tallied yet because he is still in office, but here are some interesting facts.

By the end of 2010, the United States had less employees than we did at the end of Reagan even though the population has grown from 226,545,805 to approximately 330,000,000 in 2010.

REAGAN VERSUS OBAMA
1988 — 3,113,000 

2010— 2,840,000

In his 3rd year Reagan added 1.2 million government employees, which not only improved his employment stats, but it put more spenders/consumers in the economy which prevented main street layoffs.

By contrast Obama laid-off 250,000 government employees during his 3rd year.

(Do you understand the Reagan hoax?)

Reagan created the biggest government this country has ever had. He nearly tripled the size of the carter Government and Carter debt. He was a bigger Keynesian than anyone in my lifetime.

That didn't work.

It was a "miracle".

Exactly.

Reagan Grew Government More than Any President in My Lifetime

Non Military Government Employees by President

Ronald Reagan
- Started: 2,875,000
- Ended: 3,113,000

Reagan EXPANDED the Federal Workforce by 238,000

Bill Clinton
- Started: 3,083,000
- Ended: 2,703,000

Clinton REDUCED the Federal Workforce by 380,000

George W Bush
- Started: 2,703,000
- Ended: 2,756,000

Bush EXPANDED the Federal Workforce by 53,000

Obama's numbers cannot be tallied yet because he is still in office, but here are some interesting facts.

By the end of 2010, the United States had less employees than we did at the end of Reagan even though the population has grown from 226,545,805 to approximately 330,000,000 in 2010.

REAGAN VERSUS OBAMA
1988 — 3,113,000 

2010— 2,840,000

In his 3rd year Reagan added 1.2 million government employees, which not only improved his employment stats, but it put more spenders/consumers in the economy which prevented main street layoffs.

By contrast Obama laid-off 250,000 government employees during his 3rd year.

(Do you understand the Reagan hoax?)

Reagan created the biggest government this country has ever had. He nearly tripled the size of the carter Government and Carter debt. He was a bigger Keynesian than anyone in my lifetime.

Lol...and those low-info GOP sheeple worship Reagan ad "the greatest conservative ever"....

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I always assumed he had to deal with a congress of the other party but i just checked and that is false. Democrats had huge majorities in both houses!

During his first two years dems held the senate 61-38 ( 1 indy} and the House 292-143

His next two years it was 58-41 ( 1 indy) and 277-158.

He prolly could have made a lot of changes if he wanted to, but chose not to. I like that. In particular, he didn't start any wars though the bankers and news media tried to push him into a war with the staged Iran hostage crisis of 1979. He was NOT a weak president. He stood up to the war profiteers.

How can you say he didn't accomplish a lot?

He ruined the US economy. That's pretty big achievement.

He pardoned 30,000 scumbag dimocrap criminal cowards who fled the Country rather than defend it.

He lost Iran while stabbing an Ally in the back.

He accomplished a lot.

He killed the B-1 and brought our Military down.

He accomplished a lot. He was a dimocrap. A scumbag.

He weakened the Country, destroyed the economy, neutered our Military, pardoned criminal cowards, lost a major Ally......

In only four years. That's not bad.

I know. I bought a house during his regime. Interest rates on Home Loans was 16%

You could buy it down by paying points..... But it wasn't worth it.

I was going to use the GI Bill but it was still 11% and 3 points up front. But I assumed a GI Bill Loan and got the owner to carry the rest for 5 years until I could re-fi the loan. GI Bill Loans are "Freely Alienable". Or at least they were at that time

Lost my ASS on that fucking house, too.

Carter was a dimocrap, ergo a scumbag.

Iran wasn't an ally.

Iran was a puppet.

The government of Iran was installed by the United States government.

Actually...Carter brokered a lasting peace accord between Egypt and Israel ( w Began and Sadat at Camp David) ...something no prez was able to do before... Also was the first to establish a National Energy Policy, established the Panama Canal Treaties, Boycotted the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow after the USSR invaded Afghanistan, bailed out Chrysler, signed the Airline deregulation Act, removing gov control of that industry, deregulated the American Beer Industry and had the balls to try rescue U.S.hostages from Iran, although that particular effort didn't work out...
All in all..not to shabby for a 1 term prez, although he seems to be remembered just for that failure and a sucky economy...not his many accomplishments.
He was also awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and started the Habitat for Humanity Project, which he continues to be involved in...but that was after his presidency.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Jimmy Carter did NOT start Habitat for Humanity, although he would like to take credit for it.

His role in Habitat for Humanity is mostly ceremonial, a few swings of hammer for photo opportunity.

Habitat for Humanity was started by Linda and Millard Fuller.

History: Timeline & Milestones | The Fuller Center for Housing

[
The dislike of Jimmy Carter crossed BOTH party lines. Democrats didn't like him--Republicans didn't like him. Americans couldn't wait to remove him from office and that is why Ronald Reagan beat Carter in an all out 49 state landslide win. It was a slaughter--and election night was over very early. When Carter lost there were parties going on all over this nation in celebration.

The press turned the public against carter. The press hated carter because he wouldn't start a war with iran.

I always assumed he had to deal with a congress of the other party but i just checked and that is false. Democrats had huge majorities in both houses!

During his first two years dems held the senate 61-38 ( 1 indy} and the House 292-143

His next two years it was 58-41 ( 1 indy) and 277-158.

He prolly could have made a lot of changes if he wanted to, but chose not to. I like that. In particular, he didn't start any wars though the bankers and news media tried to push him into a war with the staged Iran hostage crisis of 1979. He was NOT a weak president. He stood up to the war profiteers.
You're one of the stupidest people on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

HAHAHA. The board notes that you evaded the issue and made a personal attack. Thanks for admitting i'm right.

Why did Jimmy Carter accomplish so little during his 4 years as president?

Because he was a shit bird just like our current President is.

[

Compared to Reagan, who left the nation deeply in debt, Carter was not a big spender. He believed in balanced budgets and had far fewer government workers than Reagan, who expanded the Federal workforce more than any president in the last 50 years.

But again. He had no support from the Liberals. He was the last of the southern conservative Democrats. His greatest strength is that he did very little. He didn't use Washington to transform the nation or the world. He didn't vastly expand the federal workforce or leave us with crippling debt like Reagan. For that he should be commended.

Like i said, he was a democrat coolidge and that was a good thing. I've always liked him but the press always hated him because he was not a war-monger.

[
The dislike of Jimmy Carter crossed BOTH party lines. Democrats didn't like him--Republicans didn't like him. Americans couldn't wait to remove him from office and that is why Ronald Reagan beat Carter in an all out 49 state landslide win. It was a slaughter--and election night was over very early. When Carter lost there were parties going on all over this nation in celebration.

The press turned the public against carter. The press hated carter because he wouldn't start a war with iran.

My, how times have changed!!

The press turned the public to love Obama. The press loves Obama because he wouldn't start a war with Iran.

Bullshit ! he stood up to the Iranians(didn't give them weapons for hostages),stood up to the Soviets(didn't ignore their human right abuses), stood up to OPEC(preached Energy independence, not climbing in bed with the Saudis), he stood up to the Federal Reserve bankers( didn't let Federal bankers rob American taxpayers blind)

None of which can be said about Reagan or Bush.
Bullshit! He got bitch slapped by the Ayatollah, and when The Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan, Carter tried to call Breznev and Breznev wouldn't even come to the phone (the "red phone"). Opec screwed him over too. Carter's answer to that was to put price freezes on gas at the retail level. Idiot! He drove all the little independents out of business, leaving only the big companies like Shell, Exxon, Mobil.

If you call Reagan's treason to hold the hostages until after the election"bitch slapped". Carter was a friend of small business and but it was big business(International corporations, Federal Reserve) that hated him. Yes Soviet and OPEC was mad but what is stronger Carter trying to do something about it or Reagan talking tough and kissing their ass behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Trying to put lipstick on a pig, are we? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have no idea, but did you even exist when Carter was president?

Forum List

Back