Why Did I Have To Learn So Many Useless Things In School?

Thank God you are not medically trained!
Funny thing about that…I have had medical training and flunked myself out of clinicals. Yeah, it must have been that question about neurons firing blew the whole thing- ha No way was I interested in finding out what over-the-top kind of patient the supervising nurses had lined up next for their “best student” on paper only, as it turned out! I’m just not that special to be successful in the medical field and I found that out at 19.

I’m guessing that you believe young people should stick with one field of interest once they invest a year or so in. Those types of students are not the norm as most switch majors, pursue more than one career path, and experience success in various careers during their lifetime. Some people would consider working within the same field of study over a decade to be boringly predictable, unless negotiating with hostage takers perhaps-never a dull day there!

Life requires a flexible mindset to achieve personal contentment, and without that flexibility you start poking at the little stuff like word usage, would you agree ART?

Funny thing about that…I have had medical training and flunked myself out of clinicals. Yeah, it must have been that question about neurons firing blew the whole thing- ha No way was I interested in finding out what over-the-top kind of patient the supervising nurses had lined up next for their “best student” on paper only, as it turned out! I’m just not that special to be successful in the medical field and I found that out at 19.

I’m guessing that you believe young people should stick with one field of interest once they invest a year or so in. Those types of students are not the norm as most switch majors, pursue more than one career path, and experience success in various careers during their lifetime. Some people would consider working within the same field of study over a decade to be boringly predictable, unless negotiating with hostage takers perhaps-never a dull day there!

Life requires a flexible mindset to achieve personal contentment, and without that flexibility you start poking at the little stuff like word usage, would you agree ART?

Your job as a student is not to close doors. Failing at biology limits your fields of employment. I was a history major but that didn't help me as a weapons officer, recruiter, and propulsion engineer in the Navy, but it did let me get a teacher certification. My background as a computer science major allowed me to teach math. My teaching certification and BA allowed me to use my GI Bill benefits (which was optional for me) to get my Master's degree and promotion to administration. After I retired from teaching, my recruiting experience went from getting hired to the third person from the top in the government contractor for the Army in 8 months.

I never closed a door, which is what you apparently did,

Ever hear the expression, "When one door closes, another one opens"? That is so very true, but other than that it makes for a lousy used car!

Your job as a student is not to close doors. Failing at biology limits your fields of employment. I was a history major but that didn't help me as a weapons officer, recruiter, and propulsion engineer in the Navy, but it did let me get a teacher certification. My background as a computer science major allowed me to teach math. My teaching certification and BA allowed me to use my GI Bill benefits (which was optional for me) to get my Master's degree and promotion to administration. After I retired from teaching, my recruiting experience went from getting hired to the third person from the top in the government contractor for the Army in 8 months.

I never closed a door, which is what you apparently did,

Ever hear the expression, "When one door closes, another one opens"? That is so very true, but other than that it makes for a lousy used car!
You assume too much, again incorrectly.

Having a set mindset such as your reminds me of a bad rent-a-cop. Have you considered volunteering your time to help inner-city youth in Chicago? No ?There are many windows open wide for opportunity! Your military mindset is needed to help teens facing inner city turmoil! Now, it will be important for you to keep in mind that your assumptions are often wrong: first do no harm, even in teaching. Imagine, all evil thought crimes that you’d like to address you could create a small hill of possible infractions and live your dream! You are the perfect match!

Don't worry, they are.
One time my son in law was listening to Howard Stern who was asking a question Involving history. He decided to ask the same question to the five high school students who were in our house that day.

The question was. “What is the correct order of the following wars
…WWII, WWI, the Vietnam War, the Revolutionary War and the Civil War? Only one student was able to give the correct order.

You assume too much, again incorrectly.

Having a set mindset such as your reminds me of a bad rent-a-cop. Have you considered volunteering your time to help inner-city youth in Chicago? No ?There are many windows open wide for opportunity! Your military mindset is needed to help teens facing inner city turmoil! Now, it will be important for you to keep in mind that your assumptions are often wrong: first do no harm, even in teaching. Imagine, all evil thought crimes that you’d like to address you could create a small hill of possible infractions and live your dream! You are the perfect match!
1st, I live nowhere near Chicago and would be forced to carry a gun if I was.

2nd, I spent three years in an inner-city middle school with a principal who viewed any student discipline problems as my fault, despite my having served as Dean of Boys in a high school 5 times the size of that middle school.

3rd, I spent my volunteer time helping train military special forces in urban combat.

One time my son in law was listening to Howard Stern who was asking a question Involving history. He decided to ask the same question to the five high school students who were in our house that day.

The question was. “What is the correct order of the following wars
…WWII, WWI, the Vietnam War, the Revolutionary War and the Civil War? Only one student was able to give the correct order.
Maybe they were all just stupid because all of that information was taught.

That I never even use in my lifetime anyways? Like I remember some of the US presidents, but how is that going to help me get a job or anything? That's just one example. It's just as well I only paid attention enough to get by school and deleted all of the brain clutter out of my mind later on.
And that's where Republicans come from, kids.
Any questions?

And that's where Republicans come from, kids.
Any questions?
And of course you will argue that all democrats absorb knowledge like a sponge and therefore are much smarter than republicans.

That’s why things today are so much better than when Trump was President. The truly intelligent people are back in charge. Inflation and sky rocketing gasoline prices are good things as are open borders and millions of illegal aliens.

1st, I live nowhere near Chicago and would be forced to carry a gun if I was.

2nd, I spent three years in an inner-city middle school with a principal who viewed any student discipline problems as my fault, despite my having served as Dean of Boys in a high school 5 times the size of that middle school.

3rd, I spent my volunteer time helping train military special forces in urban combat.
I am going to "teach" you a real-life lesson ART so listen and watch closely, especially watch lol okay I have to ask: since you say you follow precise steps in life that take you to the next expected level (often missing windows of additional opportunities along the way being so fixated on staying the course), what happened to cause the progression of your job history to go from Dean of Boys in a high school to teaching? As you know, it's usually the other way around. Was it a choice or by force? We had a school administrator deservedly fired locally and he's teaching in, Chicago, not sure it was a first choice type of situation. I will only think of the most positive reason unless you tell me otherwise;)

i hate algebra. i simply cannot understand why numbers AND letters need to go together. at all in math. letters are for spelling & numbers are for math. i'm really good at arithmetic & enjoy do that kinda math - i'm good with fractions & figuring out percentages, too but that's it. & never needed algrebra in my life at all.
Depends where you work. And what you do........Like who would need to know how Temperature, Density, and Flow work together to give you a flow rate............or the specific gravity of a fluid to determine volume and such.

lol..........so you don't get raped when buying things like 30,000 gallons of gas. where you could get robbed by the calibration.......lol

Sorry. I might be the only one understanding this rambling.

Forum List

Back