Why Democrats should not be allowed to work in the justice system

Watching Forensic Files on TV, I remembered another good reason to seek the death penalty. In lots of capital murder cases, the perps confess to the crime or plead guilty in order to avoid the death penalty. In some cases where the victim's body hasn't been found, the perp will choose to cooperate and lead police to the body in exchange for the Prosecuter not seeking the death penalty.

Unfortunately, here in Orange County, we have a politically motivated idiot as an AG, so we won't be able to take advantage of that bargaining chip.

Watching Forensic Files on TV, I remembered another good reason to seek the death penalty. In lots of capital murder cases, the perps confess to the crime or plead guilty in order to avoid the death penalty. In some cases where the victim's body hasn't been found, the perp will choose to cooperate and lead police to the body in exchange for the Prosecuter not seeking the death penalty.

Unfortunately, here in Orange County, we have a politically motivated idiot as an AG, so we won't be able to take advantage of that bargaining chip.

So you are willing to trade the death penalty? But what if the baddie gets out again. You can't make up your mind. In response after reply you stand on the soapbox and rail on about the fact that when you have killed the baddie he will never murder again. Now you claim an advantage is to use it as a bargaining chip for a plea bargain and a lesser sentence.

Do you have a real reason other than liberals are against it?

So you are willing to trade the death penalty? But what if the baddie gets out again. You can't make up your mind. In response after reply you stand on the soapbox and rail on about the fact that when you have killed the baddie he will never murder again. Now you claim an advantage is to use it as a bargaining chip for a plea bargain and a lesser sentence.

No, I mentioned it as yet another way that the death penalty is good. I'm willing, for the family's sake, to trade it off to find the victim's body. Another advantage is that the peep won't be able to kill again. It's a list. They are not mutually exclusive. Simple enough for you?

No, I mentioned it as yet another way that the death penalty is good. I'm willing, for the family's sake, to trade it off to find the victim's body. Another advantage is that the peep won't be able to kill again. It's a list. They are not mutually exclusive. Simple enough for you?

The thread started because you denounced a Prosecutor who refused to go for the Death Penalty for a cop killer. I'm sure this is so long ago you've forgotten it by now, so perhaps you should take a minute and go back and read the first post again.

It has been one reply of grasping at straws after another. We've covered repeat offenders, we've covered reform of the prison system. All that time you've stood on the soapbox and denounced anything less than the death penalty for murder. Now, after having all of your arguments thoroughly discredited, you are grasping at the last straw you can find, the idea of trading it for a body for the families.

I thought it was because of the families that you had to kill the baddie. I thought it was for their peace of mind knowing that the baddie would never do it again, and would receive justice in the death of the convicted.

It isn't a list, you're not making lists. You're grasping at straws. So far, we've determined that it isn't a deterrent to others. People aren't afraid of what might happen in a decade and a half, or two decades. It doesn't teach the convicted anything, because they have had years, perhaps even decades to come to terms with their deaths. As the link showed they are calm when it comes. They don't feel the fear, or the horror that you imagine they should.

After utterly discrediting all these arguments, you remembered a forensic files episode where the death penalty was traded away and that is a great reason to have it. Pfui.

I remember watching a Numbers episode where the wife of a Judge was murdered. They found the culprit and the one who arranged it. It was the wife of a murdered policeman. She had endured years and more years of appeals, trials, and motions. Each time wondering if the baddie was going to escape justice. Each time watching as her family went through it again and again. She said the Judge should have gone with the Death Penalty.

One rub which shows the ignorance of the writers. The situation would have been no different if they had sentenced the baddie to death. In fact, it would have been even more involved. The challenges would have gone to the Supreme Court instead of staying in the California Justice system.

The same time, the same questions, the same stress. Over and over again the family would relive the loss of the loved one. Even in your willing to trade it argument. I hope you noticed the countering of one tv show with another.

It is doubtful that the baddie in going for the plea deal would agree to life without parole in lieu of death penalty. The prosecutor in your scenario would agree to life. So in fifteen, or twenty years the baddie is eligible for parole. Motions for compassionate release, motions for better living conditions, law suits challenging some faction of the case. Those would still happen as some recent law school graduate argued the case.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/Fssc00.txt

The average sentence for Murder in state courts was 20 years at the time this study was put out.

Twenty years. The Death Penalty was sought in 2% of the cases. So most murderers never even face the threat of the death penalty.

Most convictions were from plea bargains. Even without agreeing to turn over the body, most of those convicted of murder got life, not without parole, just life, about twenty three years nationally, for the murders by pleading guilty.

That means the average sentence includes those who served more, and those who served less.

But let's deal with the reality. Even if sentenced to death there is little chance that the baddie will be strapped to the gurney.

The thread started because you denounced a Prosecutor who refused to go for the Death Penalty for a cop killer. I'm sure this is so long ago you've forgotten it by now, so perhaps you should take a minute and go back and read the first post again.

It has been one reply of grasping at straws after another. We've covered repeat offenders, we've covered reform of the prison system. All that time you've stood on the soapbox and denounced anything less than the death penalty for murder. Now, after having all of your arguments thoroughly discredited, you are grasping at the last straw you can find, the idea of trading it for a body for the families.

I thought it was because of the families that you had to kill the baddie. I thought it was for their peace of mind knowing that the baddie would never do it again, and would receive justice in the death of the convicted.

It isn't a list, you're not making lists. You're grasping at straws. So far, we've determined that it isn't a deterrent to others. People aren't afraid of what might happen in a decade and a half, or two decades. It doesn't teach the convicted anything, because they have had years, perhaps even decades to come to terms with their deaths. As the link showed they are calm when it comes. They don't feel the fear, or the horror that you imagine they should.

After utterly discrediting all these arguments, you remembered a forensic files episode where the death penalty was traded away and that is a great reason to have it. Pfui.

I remember watching a Numbers episode where the wife of a Judge was murdered. They found the culprit and the one who arranged it. It was the wife of a murdered policeman. She had endured years and more years of appeals, trials, and motions. Each time wondering if the baddie was going to escape justice. Each time watching as her family went through it again and again. She said the Judge should have gone with the Death Penalty.

One rub which shows the ignorance of the writers. The situation would have been no different if they had sentenced the baddie to death. In fact, it would have been even more involved. The challenges would have gone to the Supreme Court instead of staying in the California Justice system.

The same time, the same questions, the same stress. Over and over again the family would relive the loss of the loved one. Even in your willing to trade it argument. I hope you noticed the countering of one tv show with another.

It is doubtful that the baddie in going for the plea deal would agree to life without parole in lieu of death penalty. The prosecutor in your scenario would agree to life. So in fifteen, or twenty years the baddie is eligible for parole. Motions for compassionate release, motions for better living conditions, law suits challenging some faction of the case. Those would still happen as some recent law school graduate argued the case.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/Fssc00.txt

The average sentence for Murder in state courts was 20 years at the time this study was put out.

Twenty years. The Death Penalty was sought in 2% of the cases. So most murderers never even face the threat of the death penalty.

Most convictions were from plea bargains. Even without agreeing to turn over the body, most of those convicted of murder got life, not without parole, just life, about twenty three years nationally, for the murders by pleading guilty.

That means the average sentence includes those who served more, and those who served less.

But let's deal with the reality. Even if sentenced to death there is little chance that the baddie will be strapped to the gurney.

I guess I didn't make it simple enough for you. I don't see how I can dumb it down any more.

Forum List

Back