CDZ Why can't/won't people answer yes/no questions?

Usually that would be because the question was loaded. Not that complex.

I see post 2 has already illustrated this.

Loaded questions are easy if you explain your answer.

Would you like to ask me one?

"Loaded questions are easy if you explain your answer.

Would you like to ask me one?"

Okay I ask a loaded question:

Do you like EVERYTHING loaded with bacon or not loaded with bacon?

Answer = Yes OR No?

(I explain my answer YES if you answer NO then you have to go on Ignore)

Usually that would be because the question was loaded. Not that complex.

I see post 2 has already illustrated this.

Loaded questions are easy if you explain your answer.

Would you like to ask me one?

You can't "explain your answer" if you're being limited to "yes" or "no".

Take the example in post 2. Please. "Have you stopped beating your wife?" If you answer yes, you admit you were doing it. If you answer no, you admit you're STILL doing it.

As I said ---- not rocket surgery.

"Loaded questions are easy if you explain your answer.

Would you like to ask me one?"

Okay I ask a loaded question:

Do you like EVERYTHING loaded with bacon or not loaded with bacon?

Answer = Yes OR No?

(I explain my answer YES if you answer NO then you have to go on Ignore)

You asked an either/or question, so a yes/no answer would be irrelevant.

If you asked me a preference question, I would answer that I would prefer everything not loaded with bacon.

Is this your attempt at humor, or is the subject matter too difficult for you? If the latter, please add me to your ignore list.

Last edited:
Did you stop beating your wife?
"No, because I never started."

Got any other softballs?

Answer the question, yes or no.

Did you stop beating your wife?

No other response is acceptable, "Yes" or "No". That is what is meant by why can't people answer simple yes or no questions. It implies that the answer is yes, or no.

Understand the question yet?

Now, make up some elaborate nonsense about how that is not what was asked.

Last edited:
I had hopes that the CDZ was also a three digit IQ zone, but I am beginning to have my doubts. Why is it that so many people are unable or unwilling to answer yes/no questions, even in this anonymous context? (Heaven forbid they would be able to converse face-to-face.)

What is so difficult about answering a question (and adding clarification, if necessary)? Are we turning into a nation of illiterate simpletons?
I've always wondered the same thing. Yes, or no, or I don't know. I answer questions involving those three options that way all the time. I like to keep things simple and don't need to hear myself pontificate. ;)

I had hopes that the CDZ was also a three digit IQ zone, but I am beginning to have my doubts. Why is it that so many people are unable or unwilling to answer yes/no questions, even in this anonymous context? (Heaven forbid they would be able to converse face-to-face.)

What is so difficult about answering a question (and adding clarification, if necessary)? Are we turning into a nation of illiterate simpletons?

I can't answer w/o either using a lot of words trying to pin down every possibility or being overly simplistic myself.

Generally I assume its the courthouse yes/no which has ppl worried.

Do I support killing 150,000 defenseless ppl? yes or no?

Do I supporting dropping the bombs on Japan? yes or no?

So in the case of the above questions I'll answer but not in absolutes. I think understanding why an answer is yes or no or the degree is as important to the conversation.

Now do I have an alibi for last night at 21:30? Yes!

Lol.

Most people who demand a yes/no response present a false dichotomy in a world of nuance.

Most people who demand a yes/no response present a false dichotomy in a world of nuance.

Questions about dichotomies require an either/or answer, not a yes/no answer. Such as:
I can't answer w/o either using a lot of words trying to pin down every possibility or being overly simplistic myself.

Do I support killing 150,000 defenseless ppl? yes or no?

Do I supporting dropping the bombs on Japan? yes or no?

So in the case of the above questions I'll answer but not in absolutes. I think understanding why an answer is yes or no or the degree is as important to the conversation.

Well, it does take some mental discipline. If a question is vague or unclear, it is perfectly appropriate to ask for clarification. It is also permissible to include an explanation, when necessary, to one's yes or no answer.

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, if it appears to prevent even greater harm.

2. Yes, we should have bombed Japan to end WW2.

See how easy that was?

Last edited:

A question regarding a dichotomy asks for an either/or answer, not a yes/no answer. A false dichotomy is a dichotomy that is not jointly exhaustive (there are other alternatives), or that is not mutually exclusive (the alternatives overlap), or that is possibly neither. For example: Which are you, a masochist or a sadist?

If you would like to ask me a legitimate yes/no question, I will be happy to answer it.

Forum List

Back