CDZ What is to be done with the "homeless?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
1. Give them homes (e.g., homeless shelters)

2. Enforce vagrancy/public nuisance laws

3. Prosecute repeat offenders

Any questions?

Last edited:
First we have to figure out WHY. there have always been people who prefer that life, we use to call them hobos or tramps & a very small part of our population.
2nd question What lead to this change.

NYC, I have been informed, has an organization called Homeless Advocates which has prevented authorities from helping the homeless who are mentally and/or emotionally ill.

Let's talk about actions, not theories:

1. We need to build basic housing units to which "homeless" people can be assigned.

2. We need to enforce vagrancy/nuisance laws. This includes clearing out illegal homeless encampments and arresting people who sleep, defecate or discard needles on public property.

3. First time offenders will be let off with a warning. Multiple offenders will be prosecuted and sent to appropriate treatment centers.

Any questions or alternative actions?

6a00d8341c562c53ef00e54f8f22d98833-640wi.jpg

Any questions?

jwoodie
Set up campus programs where interns in social services, and charities in mental health outreach,
receive educational credits in providing counseling for longterm help for such people in need.

www.campusplan.org

Plans for sustainable campuses to help people break the cycle of poverty
were written into federal HUD reform laws back in 1994 as part of HOPE VI legislation.

I have advocated for these "community campus concepts"
to be replicated in every district suffering oppression from crime and poverty,
and to expand this approach to reform prisons, replace sweatshops with
work study jobs connected to university programs supervision the transition,
and to develop "campus towns" along the border to combat criminal trafficking.

www.earnedamnesty.org

To promote this approach to reform, I wrote this as a song to make
a video contest for students and activists to promote through public radio and TV,
to raise funds and support for converting sweatshops into schools:

www.rightsfortheworkers.org

This is part of a larger media campaign I was pitching to Pacifica
Radio to organize all progressives nationwide to invest resources
directly into solutions instead of blowing millions on candidates
campaigns that don't solve problems but take resources away from programs that can:
www.10million.net

Examples of nonprofits that solve problems better than govt:
www.paceuniversal.com
www.grameenfoundation.org
www.patientphysiciancoop.com

If we replicate THESE programs in every district and along the border
we'd create enough jobs for ALL candidates currently running for President.
Where they don't have to be elected to office in order to lead solutions.

Any questions?
Are we allowed to force them to live in a shelter if they don't want to? I would also like to point out that we already have way more homeless than shelters, or many of them would not be living on the sidewalks.

So there's that.

Cops are NOT going to bring all those smelly people to jail; a lot of them are crazy. It's not the jail's job to babysit them. Think it through a little more.

I say deport them to Venezuela, Honduras, Cuba, etc......
I read that some California towns were giving chronic repeat vagrants plane tickets to Hawaii--this was back before there were so many, many of them. No passport required but they wouldn't be bothering the local PD in Cali anymore.

I'm puzzled as to why in this TERRIFIC economy, there are so many homeless all of a sudden? Something ain't right....

All I'm going to say is that the more we spend on homeless programs, the more homeless we seem to have. Case in point: San Francisco. The city spends over $300M per year on homeless programs - and the problem is worse than ever.

Last edited:
I read that some California towns were giving chronic repeat vagrants plane tickets to Hawaii--this was back before there were so many, many of them. No passport required but they wouldn't be bothering the local PD in Cali anymore.

I'm puzzled as to why in this TERRIFIC economy, there are so many homeless all of a sudden? Something ain't right....

If you want more of something, subsidize it.
If you want less of something, tax it.

Set up campus programs where interns in social services, and charities in mental health outreach,
receive educational credits in providing counseling for longterm help for such people in need.

We have had these programs for decades, yet the "homeless" population keeps growing. As long as they remain voluntary, they will not solve this problem.

The only solution I can see is to assign these people a permanent home and address. If they continue to be a public nuisance, they should be required to enroll in an appropriate treatment program or else face incarceration.

It's called "tough love" and it is the only solution.

This is supposed to be the Clean Debate Zone. If you have nothing to add to the subject matter, please post elsewhere.

We have had these programs for decades, yet the "homeless" population keeps growing. As long as they remain voluntary, they will not solve this problem.

The only solution I can see is to assign these people a permanent home and address. If they continue to be a public nuisance, they should be required to enroll in an appropriate treatment program or else face incarceration.

Yes jwoodie the campus plans can be used for that.
If people are mentally impaired, criminally ill, or otherwise legally incompetent,
they should have a legal guardian who can sign for legal and financial responsibility.

I can see this registration being set up at the point of first claiming legal citizenship
at the age of 18 similar to requiring draft registration. Let's add to this, and require
either military service and education or medical service and education, with screening
to ensure that citizens are legally and financially viable or would require a guardian to cosign with them.

So if any crime or violation occurs that incurs costs to taxpayers, the
person or legal guardian has already signed agreement to cover those costs.

This way, if there is any mental impairment or criminal disorder causing a disability
where that person cannot comply with laws and pay their own costs, this is screened
out in advance where the guardian is identified who agrees to responsibility for care and costs.

One reason this system isn't working now but backlogged
is the counseling it takes to resolve mental and criminal issues
is a deeply spiritual process of counseling therapy that cannot be regulated by the state.

Our best chance is through education and medical research to prove this
process is effective in identifying, treating and curing both mental and criminal illness.

I believe the school system could handle both the private and public programs,
both nonprofits and church outreach and govt and mandatory law enforcement,
in order to ensure access to the best approaches. Right now, as long as the
secular systems REJECT the spiritual therapy of the religious nonprofits,
that's why people aren't getting this help through the current system that is backlogged.

Have them work for food, lodging and hygiene services. Look at how filthy large American cities are. If the money were spent hiring people to keep them clean instead of just subsidizing drug abuse, the homeless and other residents would actually see a benefit.

So are you going to allow the homeless encampments to continue? (That is a yes or no question. Wishing them away is not an answer.)

I dunno that homelessness is 'all of a sudden'. It's been growing at a rapid pace for many years. I remember when we went to Cali back in early 90's and could see tents, cardboard boxes or just mattresses with people sleeping on them under freeway overpasses. Even here in the Puget Sound area, it's been steadily increasing over a number of years. As a kid in the 60's I had never seen a panhandler outside of Seattle streets, not until mid to late 80's and that was still ony a few scattered around certain areas...….now they are EVERYWHERE.

IMO, sending them to Hawaii is really chickenshit on CA's part. As Hawaii has a high population with very limited land mass to absorb the 'others problems'

My comment of deporting them to SA was mostly sarcasm, BUT since those countries population keep coming here, why not send some there? Seems like a fair trade as the mass numbers of homeless here are a small fraction of the illegals that manage to cross undetected.

This is supposed to be the Clean Debate Zone. If you have nothing to add to the subject matter, please post elsewhere.
The probability of a soft landing is effectively zero. This kind of homeless problem with all of the same symptoms dates back to the Roman dole and no soft landing has ever been achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back