Why can't we make ending slavery a priority???

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
News from The Associated Press

SAMUT SAKHON, Thailand (AP) -- Every morning at 2 a.m., they heard a kick on the door and a threat: Get up or get beaten. For the next 16 hours, No. 31 and his wife stood in the factory that owned them with their aching hands in ice water. They ripped the guts, heads, tails and shells off shrimp bound for overseas markets, including grocery stores and all-you-can-eat buffets across the United States.

After being sold to the Gig Peeling Factory, they were at the mercy of their Thai bosses, trapped with nearly 100 other Burmese migrants. Children worked alongside them, including a girl so tiny she had to stand on a stool to reach the peeling table. Some had been there for months, even years, getting little or no pay. Always, someone was watching.

No names were ever used, only numbers given by their boss - Tin Nyo Win was No. 31.

Almost every religious and ethnic group has been subjected to slavery at one time or another. And the CURRENT victims are of all races and almost all religions.

I know there are more noisy causes in the public mind -- but THIS ONE needs some noise..

Last edited:
images

*****SAD SMILE*****

:)

I read about this yesterday.

One thing is for sure I will not buy any more seafood from Thailand, period.

The State Department has not slapped Thailand with sanctions applied to other countries with similarly weak human trafficking records because it is a strategically critical Southeast Asian ally. And
federal authorities say they can't enforce U.S. laws that ban importing goods produced by forced labor, citing an exception for items consumers can't get from another source. Thai shrimp slips right through that loophole.

Seems the only "loophole" the moonbat messiah is concerned about closing is "The Gun Show Loophole".

I can not believe someone in our government has known about this sort of shit and hasn't done a damn thing about it.

Everyone's down for the cause. It's the how. If you just regulate, you don't actually introduce the money to pay everyone. You're not helping. They'll peel shrimp wherever you can't regulate, obviously.

Everyone's down for the cause. It's the how. If you just regulate, you don't actually introduce the money to pay everyone. You're not helping. They'll peel shrimp wherever you can't regulate, obviously.

They don't have to allow imports from unregulated places.

SAMUT SAKHON, Thailand (AP) -- Every morning at 2 a.m., they heard a kick on the door and a threat: Get up or get beaten. For the next 16 hours, No. 31 and his wife stood in the factory that owned them with their aching hands in ice water. They ripped the guts, heads, tails and shells off shrimp bound for overseas markets, including grocery stores and all-you-can-eat buffets across the United States.

After being sold to the Gig Peeling Factory, they were at the mercy of their Thai bosses, trapped with nearly 100 other Burmese migrants. Children worked alongside them, including a girl so tiny she had to stand on a stool to reach the peeling table. Some had been there for months, even years, getting little or no pay. Always, someone was watching.

No names were ever used, only numbers given by their boss - Tin Nyo Win was No. 31.

Almost every religious and ethnic group has been subjected to slavery at one time or another. And the CURRENT victims are of all races and almost all religions.

I know there are more noisy causes in the public mind -- but THIS ONE needs some noise..

This one is a lot more widespread, and affects more people:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/21/w...e-is-forcing-women-to-be-sex-slaves.html?_r=0

I agree- luckily there are groups actually making noise about this.

Thank you for raising the issue.

Make it worse in those countries? Trade's what pulls these places out of the dark ages.

That's true.. It doesn't help to stop the shrimp trade with Thailand. Somehow you got to end the corruption that allows this to happen.

I'm all aboard for the trading -- not so much for kissing up to crooks and animals. You have to make it IMPORTANT to the various governments to crack down and not condone these practices.

I'd START with embarrassing them by making this a G20 high priority. If they allow slave trade of any kind -- revoke their UN credentials. Don't really care if it's Thailand or Saudi Arabia or Sudan. Force the UN to take a stand. End it by 2020..

Last edited:

Make it worse in those countries? Trade's what pulls these places out of the dark ages.

That's true.. It doesn't help to stop the shrimp trade with Thailand. Somehow you got to end the corruption that allows this to happen.

I'm all aboard for the trading -- not so much for kissing up to crooks and animals. You have to make it IMPORTANT to the various governments to crack down and not condone these practices.

I'd START with embarrassing them by making this a G20 high priority. If they allow slave trade of any kind -- revoke their UN credentials. Don't really care if it's Thailand or Saudi Arabia or Sudan. Force the UN to take a stand. End it by 2020..
That's a good angle.

The issue is that when you start passing out money, the prostitution-style slavery increases significantly. Even when you get to the point we're at, we still have prison-style slavery, prostitution and paycheck to paycheck slavery.

That's a good angle.

The issue is that when you start passing out money, the prostitution-style slavery increases significantly. Even when you get to the point we're at, we still have prison-style slavery, prostitution and paycheck to paycheck slavery.

Part of the reason the cause never gets traction, is because folks on the left (maybe you) bring up WalMart when the talk is about slavery.. Focus a bit. The prison stuff is part of rehabilitation and nobody should be making a profit of their labor. MOST prostitution is not slavery. When it is -- I'm steamed. And paycheck slavery is largely an issue of education and aspiration.

Probably shouldn't get all imperialistic and start whining about the wages of shrimp peelers in Thailand, folks in that article were grabbed as Burmese immigrants and the government needs to free them. And make certain that ALL immigrants are accounted for. Sound familar???

Another case where you never should have completely open borders without SOME type of control on WHAT comes over the border... Because that's largely where slaves come from....

Forum List

Back