Why can't staff members be put on ignore?

Meanwhile....it never ceases to amaze me how mean people are when in front of a monitor. Which is why I try real hard to stay in The Lounge. At least topics in there can be discussed, agreement or not, without it resorting to being in a sleazy bar with a bunch of obnoxious drunks yelling at everyone.
Some people can be mean and very few of those are malicious. Most, IMO, are simply reacting out of fear and confusion. Most people are good, although I've yet to see a malicious asshole admit they were evil and truly believe it. :)

Most issues are simply escalation of misunderstandings since text is a very poor form of communication. What one person posts in jest or sarcastically could easily be taken seriously by another with a stern reply. This reply is taken as a personal attack by the first poster and then we are off to the races.

There are some pretty horrible people who spend their time online. They are called trolls. They are the types of people who would egg someone on to commit suicide (which has happened), etc. There are really monsters out there, but they are in human form.
While I agree, most trolls are sad, weak, pathetic souls whose only pleasure is to spread their misery to others. You do know that most bullies were bullied and/or abused as children don't you?

Bully-victims: Bullies who get bullied by others

These pathetic people are to be pitied, not feared.

Meanwhile....it never ceases to amaze me how mean people are when in front of a monitor. Which is why I try real hard to stay in The Lounge. At least topics in there can be discussed, agreement or not, without it resorting to being in a sleazy bar with a bunch of obnoxious drunks yelling at everyone.
Some people can be mean and very few of those are malicious. Most, IMO, are simply reacting out of fear and confusion. Most people are good, although I've yet to see a malicious asshole admit they were evil and truly believe it. :)

Most issues are simply escalation of misunderstandings since text is a very poor form of communication. What one person posts in jest or sarcastically could easily be taken seriously by another with a stern reply. This reply is taken as a personal attack by the first poster and then we are off to the races.

There are some pretty horrible people who spend their time online. They are called trolls. They are the types of people who would egg someone on to commit suicide (which has happened), etc. There are really monsters out there, but they are in human form.
While I agree, most trolls are sad, weak, pathetic souls whose only pleasure is to spread their misery to others. You do know that most bullies were bullied and/or abused as children don't you?

Well, the way I look at it is that many people have been bullied or abused, and they don't resort to being complete jerks, so I really don't pity those who decide to take that path in their lives. I just don't like 'em. :)

Well, the way I look at it is that many people have been bullied or abused, and they don't resort to being complete jerks, so I really don't pity those who decide to take that path in their lives. I just don't like 'em. :)
Agreed and your choice.

Yes, not everyone who was bullied becomes a bully just like everyone who gets the flu doesn't get pneumonia and die. Those that do are weak and should be pitied even if their behavior isn't to be tolerated. Understanding is not the same as condoning nor are you required to "like'em". I don't either. :)

fae19218a939a3d903dfde71cec33b91.jpg

We've often discussed fixing that. Like doing it the DOJ way. Where the names are removed and we just dump STATISTICS of the deletions, moves, merges, warnings, ban, etc. Maybe each month. But we'd need separate people to accumulate and organize all that. And STILL -- it would just incite accusations if we even TRIED to measure those actions in terms of race, gender, or political ideology.

If the mods really want to compile such a list, I volunteer to maintain it. Though technology has passed me by, at one time I was licensed in Microsoft office and I can still turn out a mean spreadsheet if need be.

Send me the raw data on a daily/weekly/whatever basis and I will happily compile and post a monthly totals spreadsheet in Excel or however you want it. No worries.

Agreed and your choice.

Yes, not everyone who was bullied becomes a bully just like everyone who gets the flu doesn't get pneumonia and die. Those that do are weak and should be pitied even if their behavior isn't to be tolerated. Understanding is not the same as condoning nor are you required to "like'em". I don't either. :)

I suppose, but I don't pity them. :dunno: You can't force pity. Lol.

Agreed and your choice.

Agreed. My main point is that these people are not to be feared. Any harm they do is internal to the target of their trolling. If the "target" doesn't let trolls get under their skin, then they are invulnerable to the troll's attacks.

Agreed and your choice.

Agreed. My main point is that these people are not to be feared. Any harm they do is internal to the target of their trolling. If the "target" doesn't let trolls get under their skin, then they are invulnerable to the troll's attacks.

Well, I never really argued that point. My point is that if these trolls are just allowed to do whatever, then there will be more of them and less normal people posting. Yes, some people will leave the forum because of trolling.

Agreed and your choice.

Well, I never really argued that point. My point is that if these trolls are just allowed to do whatever, then there will be more of them and less normal people posting. Yes, some people will leave the forum because of trolling.
I never argued trolls should be allowed to run free. It's just that there's a certain amount of balance between banning trolls and "free speech". I've been banned on another forum for "trolling" a friend. Both the friend and I were just having fun, I was temp-banned anyway. I suspect the motives were just an excuse. I avoid that forum now.

Agreed and your choice.

I never argued trolls should be allowed to run free. It's just that there's a certain amount of balance between banning trolls and "free speech". I've been banned on another forum for "trolling" a friend. Both the friend and I were just having fun, I was temp-banned anyway. I suspect the motives were just an excuse. I avoid that forum now.

I think we all know the difference between trolling and friendly banter. :)

I think we all know the difference between trolling and friendly banter. :)
Agreed, which is why I thought it was simply an excuse to drive me away from the forum. It worked.

Yeah, some places are cliquey like that. If you don't fall into line, then you are on the shit list.
That one was very cliquey. It didn't help that I had a short (3 month) physical relationship with one of the clique's princesses. She turned out to be batshit crazy and it ended. My continued presence on the forum ended shortly thereafter.

Another forum had a tight clique and anyone who disagreed with them was driven away with the same tactic; temp-bans for minor offenses which were overlooked for clique-members. I left that one too. Ten years ago, political forums were few, now they are all over the place. Too common to have to put up with bullshit. I fail to see why someone who is constantly banned from a forum keeps coming back when there are so many opportunities elsewhere.

We've often discussed fixing that. Like doing it the DOJ way. Where the names are removed and we just dump STATISTICS of the deletions, moves, merges, warnings, ban, etc. Maybe each month. But we'd need separate people to accumulate and organize all that. And STILL -- it would just incite accusations if we even TRIED to measure those actions in terms of race, gender, or political ideology.

If the mods really want to compile such a list, I volunteer to maintain it. Though technology has passed me by, at one time I was licensed in Microsoft office and I can still turn out a mean spreadsheet if need be.

Send me the raw data on a daily/weekly/whatever basis and I will happily compile and post a monthly totals spreadsheet in Excel or however you want it. No worries.

Appreciate that. If we figure out how to grant access to the records without full moderation status -- that person would be an independent "ombudsman" reporting on the type of work that was done. But it's "still in committee". :badgrin:

Just wondering
That would be like ignoring God. You can't do that! Better yet would be for staph to ignore me.

If you want to avoid staph -- I'd suggest more attention to hygiene and your environment. :eusa_dance: Just sayin'.
If you want a moderation-free existence -- just follow the simple rules. We'll never know you're even there ! :eusa_angel:
One day working at the prison I was outside on gate control. A group of bigwigs were touring the housing units with the warden. As they walked up to the door at one unit, I guess the person inside at the monitor was busy and didn't see them out there. The warden looked at me and raised her hand to her ear so I would call them on the radio. So I said on the radio, "Gate control to D block, you've got a staph infection at your front door!" When they came out as they passed me, she flipped me off!

Appreciate that. If we figure out how to grant access to the records without full moderation status -- that person would be an independent "ombudsman" reporting on the type of work that was done. But it's "still in committee". :badgrin:

Understood. No worries. Hash it out amongst yourselves and let me know yea or nay.

Forum List

Back